By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - CNBC: 310,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in the U.S last week

FishyJoe said:

Looks like Sony is disputing the numbers. Although they could end it simply by telling us their numbers. 

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/126846.asp

Update, 12:30 p.m.: Sony is disputing Microsoft's statement about the ratio of Xbox 360 to PS3 sales. Here's what Kimberly Otzman, a Sony spokeswoman, said in an e-mail just now:

"It's (Sony Computer Entertainment America) policy not to disclose our unit sales numbers until NPD numbers are officially released which will be December 13th. However, I can assure you that Microsoft's estimates of our PS3 unit sales numbers are way off and they did not outsell PS3 2:1 during Black Friday week."

I hope they keep releasing press releases.

Microsoft: We would like to reconfrim that we did outsell the PS3 2-1.

Sony: No you didn't! 

MS: Yes we did!

Sony: Did Not

MS: Did so!

Sony: Nu-uhhh

MS: Uh Huh!

Around the Network

Interesting times ahead....did you guys notice the VGC citation here:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/126377.asp

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I already know how this is going to shake out. Just like Sony, MS was using its top retailers to obtain it's statistics. Since they are both using certain retailers, there will be a bias. Both these companies are playing shenanigans with their sales numbers.

Also, notice how nobody is disputing Nintendo's numbers? That in itself should tell you they are credible.

FishyJoe said:
I already know how this is going to shake out. Just like Sony, MS was using it's top retailers to obtain it's statistics. Since they are both using certain retailers, there will be a bias. Both these companies are playing shenanigans with their sales numbers.

Also, notice how nobody is disputing Nintendo's numbers? That in itself should tell you they are credible.

So, should we take the 310k number from Microsoft seriously?

Didja get that thing I sentcha?

I wrote a message to CNBC and had ioi send it out to CNBC in his official capacity to see what we could get from CNBC:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:44 PM
Subject: RE: Xbox 360 Black Friday Article

From Microsoft.  As stated in the post.  Release data follows.
Don't shoot the messenger.
--jim

X Marks the Spot for Black Friday Sales: Xbox 360 on Track for Strong Holiday Sales

More than 310,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in the U.S. for the week of Nov. 18, including Black Friday, rounding out its third holiday season on the market. While Xbox 360 consoles continue to generate great consumer demand, the strength of the Xbox 360 ecosystem remains unmatched by any console on the market.

·         Outselling 2:1:  Xbox 360 outsold PS3 2:1 for the week of Nov. 18, according to estimates from top retailers. Xbox 360 has maintained its lead on PS3, even following the price drop of PS3 consoles.

·         Xbox 360 software is on track to continue outselling software of PS3 and Wii combined this holiday season – For the month of October, Xbox 360 software represented 54 percent of total software sales (at $162 million dollars) for this generation, compared to 30 percent for Wii and 16 percent for PS3. (According to NPD)

o   Xbox 360 is home to the most unique and diverse title portfolio this holiday delivering interactive entertainment to every gamer at every level. Starting with one of the strongest sport franchises in video game history, “Madden NFL 08” (EA), Xbox 360 has an unprecedented string of titles that make up the greatest holiday line up in video game history including “BioShock” (2K Games), the record breaking “Halo 3” (MGS), “Project Gotham Racing 4” (MGS), “Mass Effect” (MGS), “Guitar Hero III” (Red Octane/Activision), “Call of Duty 4” (Activision) and “Rock Band” (MTV Games).  

·         Gamers continue to show preference for third party titles on Xbox 360 - Of all 3rd party U.S. software revenue in October, Xbox 360 generated more than double that of the PS3 and Wii. Xbox 360 weighed in at 57 percent with $130 million, compared to Wii with 28 percent and PS3 at 15 percent. (According to NPD)

-----Original Message-----
From: [VGChartz] Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:31 PM
To: Technology
Subject: Xbox 360 Black Friday Article

TechCheck,

You recently ran a piece stating that Xbox 360 sold 310,000 units in the USA during Black Friday week.  Neither independent sales tracker NPD, or Microsoft has issued PR stating this. 

Last year, CNBC reported Black Friday sales – supposedly based on American independent sales tracker NPD – that ended up completely inaccurate.  NPD later spoke to those few who asked if the CNBC report was true, and categorically denied the numbers.  The eventual release of the NPD public figures – 1.08 million Wiis, 688,000 PS3s, and 1.61 million Xbox 360s across November and December were completely different from the data CNBC reported.  See the links below - (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/3/6462).

The faulty CNBC report can be seen here:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=158897930&play=1

The CNBC report stated that over November and December 2006, 2.0 million Xbox 360s, 1.8 million Wiis, and 750,000 PS3s were sold over November and December.  While it is possible CNBC received some report similar to, or an early version of NPD’s data, it is quite unlikely. 

Given the mishap last year, we would like a clarification of whether the reported figure is based on conversations with retailers, tracking agencies, Microsoft, or mere speculation.

Thanks for your time.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
Peter Potamus said:
FishyJoe said:
I already know how this is going to shake out. Just like Sony, MS was using it's top retailers to obtain it's statistics. Since they are both using certain retailers, there will be a bias. Both these companies are playing shenanigans with their sales numbers.

There simply is not enough information to say.

Cool, you got Jim Goldman to respond! I wonder if he's ever checked out this site?

Peter Potamus said:
FishyJoe said:

Yes

Well Sony is right it isn't 2 to 1 its more like 1.8 to one

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Hell, I'll just wait till the 13th.

Didja get that thing I sentcha?