By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If FF versus xiii goes multiplat S-E will die -i am expert on japan culture

BMaker11 said:
Xxain said:
you mean like how SE died when they betrayed Nintendo and FF7 went to PS? or like how FFXlll went Multi?

You mean how like they ran into a technical wall in development on the N64, so the moved it over to the PS1 so they could actually make the game how they wanted to? Yea, the multiplatform talk of Versus is getting a little old now. We just have to wait and see at E3, but *this* that you just posted. It's just totally and completely incorrect in the context that you're trying to use it. 

"Development of Final Fantasy VII resumed in late 1995,[32] and required the efforts of approximately 120 artists and programmers, using PowerAnimator and Softimage|3D software and a budget of more than US$30 million.[43] Final Fantasy VI's co-director and scenario writer, Kitase, returned to direct and co-write Final Fantasy VII and was concerned the franchise might be left behind if it did not catch up to the 3D computer graphics used in other games at the time.[44] Production began after the making of a short, experimental tech demo called "Final Fantasy SGI" for Silicon Graphics, Inc. Onyx workstations. The demo featuredpolygon-based 3D renderings of characters from Final Fantasy VI in a real time battle.[45] This experiment led the development team to integrate these design mechanics into Final Fantasy VII. However, as a result of the high quantity of memory storage required to implement the motion data, only the CD-ROM format would be able to suit the project's needs.[32] Nintendo, for which Square had developed all previous titles in the Final Fantasy series, had decided to continue to use cartridges for its upcoming Nintendo 64 console. This eventually led to a dispute that resulted in Square ending its long, tumultuous relationship with Nintendo, and Square announced on January 12, 1996 it would be developing Final Fantasy VII for Sony's PlayStation platform.[46]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_7#Development

Read up, and maybe you and everyone else who continually try to condescend people who want FF exclusive to a PS system can learn that it was NINTENDO'S fault that FFVII wasn't on the N64, not a betrayal of Squaresoft   

Lets face it, it would have been possible. Probably with better ingame graphcis and no load times to. After all they fit 1.17 gb of Resi 2 on a 512 cart with better 3d modelling and all the CGI. It was essentially the best version of Resi 2 at the time.

Around the Network
AkibaFan said:

I hve studied jpnese culture thoroly & i knw tht honor, trust, respect and shame are imprtant parts of it. It's not like it is in America where u can become successful easly by hving money alredy, connections, manipulatin. If you betray sum1 in Japan, you bring shame to urself & ur family, company. Ur product sales will fall, the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means to the japanese public is if ff versus xiii goes mutiplat no-one is going to want to purchase ff versus xiii for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is a big prblem for them. You can laugh all you want, bt Square will in effect alienate an entire market with this move.

square shud come to E3 & reconfirm ff versus xiii is only on ps3 to save their company. nw u mite ask y ff13 didnt fail, because the kept it exclusive in japan, so japanese didnt care, bt its also why ffxiii is lowest selling ff ever in japan. at the least S-E shud make sure ff versus xiii is exclusive in japan.

If square do make this mistake they shud repent by making all futur FF games exclusive to only playsttion platforms.

As much as I strongly agree that final fantasy versus XIII should stay only on one platform for obvious reasons (time, quality), I don't think fans would put square enix to shame for making it multiplatform. It never happened with final fantasy XIII. So why this game?

BMaker11 said:
Xxain said:
you mean like how SE died when they betrayed Nintendo and FF7 went to PS? or like how FFXlll went Multi?

You mean how like they ran into a technical wall in development on the N64, so the moved it over to the PS1 so they could actually make the game how they wanted to? Yea, the multiplatform talk of Versus is getting a little old now. We just have to wait and see at E3, but *this* that you just posted. It's just totally and completely incorrect in the context that you're trying to use it. 

"Development of Final Fantasy VII resumed in late 1995,[32] and required the efforts of approximately 120 artists and programmers, using PowerAnimator and Softimage|3D software and a budget of more than US$30 million.[43] Final Fantasy VI's co-director and scenario writer, Kitase, returned to direct and co-write Final Fantasy VII and was concerned the franchise might be left behind if it did not catch up to the 3D computer graphics used in other games at the time.[44] Production began after the making of a short, experimental tech demo called "Final Fantasy SGI" for Silicon Graphics, Inc. Onyx workstations. The demo featuredpolygon-based 3D renderings of characters from Final Fantasy VI in a real time battle.[45] This experiment led the development team to integrate these design mechanics into Final Fantasy VII. However, as a result of the high quantity of memory storage required to implement the motion data, only the CD-ROM format would be able to suit the project's needs.[32] Nintendo, for which Square had developed all previous titles in the Final Fantasy series, had decided to continue to use cartridges for its upcoming Nintendo 64 console. This eventually led to a dispute that resulted in Square ending its long, tumultuous relationship with Nintendo, and Square announced on January 12, 1996 it would be developing Final Fantasy VII for Sony's PlayStation platform.[46]"

Read up, and maybe you and everyone else who continually try to condescend people who want FF exclusive to a PS system can learn that it was NINTENDO'S fault that FFVII wasn't on the N64, not a betrayal of Squaresoft   

Nintendo had the high capacity/low cost 64DD waiting specifically for RPGs and adventure games (with Zelda 64 and DQVII actually being announced for it).  Cartridge limitations were more the straw that broke the camel's back, and while it was a factor (a big factor), there was much more involved in the Nintendo/Square split than just N64's format selection.

I mean one could apply the same logic for FFXIII and say it's "Sony's fault" it went to 360, because they couldn't manage a significant enough PS3 install base to hold on to exclusivity.  And while that could be true in a sense, it's pretty short sighted and leaves a lot of factors off the table...

The only bad thing about FF Versus going multi - plat is that it's going to be delayed.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Legend11 said:
AkibaFan said:

I hve studied jpnese culture thoroly & i knw tht honor, trust, respect and shame are imprtant parts of it. It's not like it is in America where u can become successful easly by hving money alredy, connections, manipulatin. If you betray sum1 in Japan, you bring shame to urself & ur family, company. Ur product sales will fall, the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Do you feel it was shameful for Square to have moved FF7 to a non-Nintendo console?

I think this time in the current generation its nothing like that. Square enix switched because of the playstation's hardware specifications, namely cd rom. The nintendo 64 didn't provide to sufficient storage space to contain the game. This time with final fantasy XIII its kind of the other way round.

I don't understand why people keep using this argument to excuse the multiplatforming of final fantasy XIII. The switch was quite obvious and reasonable. This time its nothing like that.

Around the Network
Notorius.A.i.G said:
The only bad thing about FF Versus going multi - plat is that it's going to be delayed.

A reason why it should stay exclusive and should be the consensus.

WheelStriker said:
Legend11 said:
AkibaFan said:

Do you feel it was shameful for Square to have moved FF7 to a non-Nintendo console?

I think this time in the current generation its nothing like that. Square enix switched because of the playstation's hardware specifications, namely cd rom. The nintendo 64 didn't provide to sufficient storage space to contain the game. This time with final fantasy XIII its kind of the other way round.

I don't understand why people keep using this argument to excuse the multiplatforming of final fantasy XIII. The switched was quite obvious and reasonable. And this time its nothing like that.

This time they switched (to multiplatform even, not jumping platforms entirely) due to market reasons.  How is that not reasonable?  It's honestly the most reasonable direction considering how this generation's shaken out...

Notorius.A.i.G said:

How does one delay something with no expected date?

WheelStriker said:
Legend11 said:
AkibaFan said:

I don't understand why people keep using this argument to excuse the multiplatforming of final fantasy XIII. The switch was quite obvious and reasonable. This time its nothing like that.

Ok.

Resi 2 on N64 proves that point is nullified. Resi 2 was 2 discs on PS1 and 1.17 gb. It had better graphics on N64 and all the CGI. FF7 was easily possible if Square wanted a better graphical game than the FF7 we got on PS1.

As for FF13, SE could not ignore the western 360 fanbase. It's sales prove it was worth. To call any game that sells over the 1 mill mark not worth it is ludicrous. For exaple the 360 version of FF13 probably made enough money to cover the cost of both PS3 and360 dev. And that is a big plus.

BMaker11 said:
Xxain said:

Read up, and maybe you and everyone else who continually try to condescend people who want FF exclusive to a PS system can learn 

that it was NINTENDO'S fault that FFVII wasn't on the N64, not a betrayal of Squaresoft   

By that logic, it's Sony's falt FF13 went multiplat.

If they wanted it exclusive, they should've made a better selling console.