By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game?

mancandy said:
So do I fail if actually liked VII, VIII and X?

No, you only fail because you like VIII.

Around the Network
Grimboyjr said:
Final-Fan said:
Grimboyjr said:
Final-Fan said:
Grimboyjr said:
naznatips said:
Probably because those are 3 of the best Final Fantasy games ever made, VI being the best.

Like I said, never was Final Fantasy fan, and I can care less about FFXIII.

So let me use an analogy: I don't care about Artist X, but I've heard 3 or 4 of his songs and I really like one of them. Does that make me qualified to call that song his best ever? No. No it ***** does not.

My opinion. I can say what I want.

And you can be wrong. And we can mock you for your ignorance and tell you to shut up about things you do not have the knowledge to comprehend.

And?

The reason you're getting mocked because you come on here trying to make some kind of informed opinion thinking everyone should pay attention to and then when people call you on your bullshit you say that you don't care.  Now we're all just wondering why you're here.  go in some other thread and talk about Genjitsu and Buuji and Shipuuden's or whatever.

twesterm said:
Grimboyjr said:
Final-Fan said:
Grimboyjr said:
Final-Fan said:
Grimboyjr said:
naznatips said:
Probably because those are 3 of the best Final Fantasy games ever made, VI being the best.

So let me use an analogy: I don't care about Artist X, but I've heard 3 or 4 of his songs and I really like one of them. Does that make me qualified to call that song his best ever? No. No it ***** does not.

And you can be wrong. And we can mock you for your ignorance and tell you to shut up about things you do not have the knowledge to comprehend.

And?

The reason you're getting mocked because you come on here trying to make some kind of informed opinion thinking everyone should pay attention to and then when people call you on your bullshit you say that you don't care.  Now we're all just wondering why you're here.  go in some other thread and talk about Genjitsu and Buuji and Shipuuden's or whatever.

Dude its really not that serious..I will leave..

The FF series has been very uneven since VI.
VII was unfinished, and IMO not all that great.
VIII was awful.
IX was better, but still rather forgettable.
X did many things right, like awesome character design, and a good combat system. A pity that it was so easy and linear. The best in the PS series, if you don't count Tactics.
XI I've not tried... MMORPGs are not for me.
XII seemed like a big step backwards in pretty much every aspect of the game. The character design was by far the worst in the decade, and the beginning of the game is slow as molasses after the short prologue.

Let's see:
- Cristals
- Chocobos
- Moogles
- Deities that you can control
- Magic : white, black at least
- Cid
- Prelude (the tune)
- team of characters
- Omega
- Ultima
- Genji gears

Some have extras like Gilgamesh for example, or getting some kind of flying vessel that can travel over the entire world.

Around the Network

I've gotten a thousand answers, none of which I'm going to directly respond to, but I think I was right all along. There is not enough carried on from one Final Fantasy to the next to actually warrant each to hold down the name. Xenogears could have been a numbered Final Fantasy. Just add in some chocobos and a Cid. Same with Chrono Trigger. What defines these games is nothing more than a few passing resemblances to previous iterations. After each game is completed, everything is thrown out, even gameplay-wise, and development starts from scratch. Is there another series in the world that actually throws out what works and what doesn't work? This is probably why there was hardly a person in this post that could say they've enjoyed them all.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

I've gotten a thousand answers, none of which I'm going to directly respond to, but I think I was right all along. There is not enough carried on from one Final Fantasy to the next to actually warrant each to hold down the name. Xenogears could have been a numbered Final Fantasy. Just add in some chocobos and a Cid. Same with Chrono Trigger. What defines these games is nothing more than a few passing resemblances to previous iterations. After each game is completed, everything is thrown out, even gameplay-wise, and development starts from scratch. Is there another series in the world that actually throws out what works and what doesn't work? This is probably why there was hardly a person in this post that could say they've enjoyed them all.

It used to be. I think they used to have a mindset of "What will this Final Fantasy game be like." I think with 7. They had a new IP and thought "Hey we don't really have a new FF story, so lets throw in some Final Fantasy aspects and call it a FF game."

Since I think they just list all the new ideas for RPGS they have.  Pick the one they think is best and throw in some final fantasyisms.

Grimboyjr said:
twesterm said:
Grimboyjr said:
Final-Fan said:
Grimboyjr said:
Final-Fan said:
Grimboyjr said:
naznatips said:

And?

The reason you're getting mocked because you come on here trying to make some kind of informed opinion thinking everyone should pay attention to and then when people call you on your bullshit you say that you don't care. Now we're all just wondering why you're here. go in some other thread and talk about Genjitsu and Buuji and Shipuuden's or whatever.

Dude its really not that serious..I will leave..

Yeah, my bad.  That was actually supposed to be a joke that came out terribly wrong.  I'll go ahead and apologize for sounding like a douce there.  Was meaning to pretend I hated Naruto and knew nothing about it and mock it and it turned into one terrible stupid tragedy that should just be ignored.  >_>

IMO, I like FFVII out of all the others.

FFI - Awesome since it started off the series.

FFII - Pretty neat way of "leveling" your characters, even though they dont have levels lol.

FF III - Nice Job System, even though Evokers and Summoners are exactly the same thing basically.

FFIV - One of my favorites. DRK Cecil FTW!

FFV - Haven't played in a long time, but would love to play it again.

FFVI - So over hyped IMO when compared to VII, but still a great game. Probably my 4th Fav FF so far.

FFVII - Favorite one out of the whole series. The idea of Limit Breaks and the Materia System is probably up there along with the in depth character developement and storyline when describing why I like it.

FFVII DoC - Decent Shooter, but could've been better. Interesting Side Story.

Crisis Core - FFVII - Has the possibility of the best hand held RPGs of all time. Can't wait to play it.

FFVIII - Junction System was awesome idea, but could be extremely tedious to make your characters insane early one.

FFIX - Old School style FF with the Trance Feature instead of Limit Breaks = FTW!

FFX - Awesome storyline with a fast paced turn based battle system.

FFX-2 - Least likable FF. Mediocre at best.

FFXI - Great MMO. Actually has a good stroyline, unlike WoW.

FFXII - Enjoyable new gameplay thats introduced.

FFXIII - Do I need to explain how amazing that game looks with only like 5 sec of actual gameplay? *drool* Only thing I'm worried about is the story line and how many characters you can control :(

FFvXIII - From the revealed information about game play, should be amazing since Nomura wants it to replace the KH battle systems since it's so similar.

twesterm said:

Yeah, my bad.  That was actually supposed to be a joke that came out terribly wrong.  I'll go ahead and apologize for sounding like a douce there.  Was meaning to pretend I hated Naruto and knew nothing about it and mock it and it turned into one terrible stupid tragedy that should just be ignored.  >_>

Its cool dude, I probably came off wrong saying what I liked/disliked about Final Fantasy. Maybe I should just revise my history.

The only Final Fantasy games I played was Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2. I never got so in-depth with Final Fantasy I,II,III,IV,V, or VI. I just played the ones I liked. I grew up with the Genesis, so really RPG's wasn't my thing until I played Final Fantasy VII on the PS1. I liked that game alot do to the engaging characters like Cloud, Tifa, Vincent Valentine and several others. I really liked Final Fantasy X because it was the only true RPG that I enjoyed on the PS2. Then when I found out that Square Enix was making a add-on to the game. I played that game too (Final Fantasy X-2).

I'm not trying to attack the franchise in any way. Its just after I experienced Final Fantasy XII. That game really turned me off completely on the serious. Now that I seem the trailer of Final Fantasy XIII, I'm like here we go again with a boring, so-lame character game again. But its my fault in a way because I am judging the game to early. So I just have to wait and see when Square Enix releases some videos of the gameplay and plot. 

Sorry, if I offended anyone with my posts, but it was my opinion and my opinion was misunderstood. By the likes of twesterm, FinalFan and to anyone I missed.