By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game?

twesterm said:

Yeah, my bad.  That was actually supposed to be a joke that came out terribly wrong.  I'll go ahead and apologize for sounding like a douce there.  Was meaning to pretend I hated Naruto and knew nothing about it and mock it and it turned into one terrible stupid tragedy that should just be ignored.  >_>

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

Just out of interest what the hell was Final Fantasy Adventure?

I think I remember playing it years back and I have no idea what it actually was.

Rath said:

I think I remember playing it years back and I have no idea what it actually was.

I was on the GameBoy. It played more like Zelda than FF.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:
Rath said:

I was on the GameBoy. It played more like Zelda than FF.

Cheers. Just checked Wikipedia, apparently the start to the Mana series.

Awesome series that. 

NFGBlinkAC said:
IMO, I like FFVII out of all the others.

FFI - Awesome since it started off the series.

FFII - Pretty neat way of "leveling" your characters, even though they dont have levels lol.

FF III - Nice Job System, even though Evokers and Summoners are exactly the same thing basically.

FFIV - One of my favorites. DRK Cecil FTW!

FFV - Haven't played in a long time, but would love to play it again.

FFVI - So over hyped IMO when compared to VII, but still a great game. Probably my 4th Fav FF so far.

FFVII - Favorite one out of the whole series. The idea of Limit Breaks and the Materia System is probably up there along with the in depth character developement and storyline when describing why I like it.

FFVII DoC - Decent Shooter, but could've been better. Interesting Side Story.

Crisis Core - FFVII - Has the possibility of the best hand held RPGs of all time. Can't wait to play it.

FFVIII - Junction System was awesome idea, but could be extremely tedious to make your characters insane early one.

FFIX - Old School style FF with the Trance Feature instead of Limit Breaks = FTW!

FFX - Awesome storyline with a fast paced turn based battle system.

FFX-2 - Least likable FF. Mediocre at best.

FFXI - Great MMO. Actually has a good stroyline, unlike WoW.

FFXII - Enjoyable new gameplay thats introduced.

FFXIII - Do I need to explain how amazing that game looks with only like 5 sec of actual gameplay? *drool* Only thing I'm worried about is the story line and how many characters you can control :(

FFvXIII - From the revealed information about game play, should be amazing since Nomura wants it to replace the KH battle systems since it's so similar.

FFVI over hyped!? Where is Nanzatips when you need him. FFVII has been bludgeoned over the heads of fans of REAL Final Fantasy titles for the last ten years. Its one of the most overhyped games ever. FFVI had one ridiculous 15 sec ad with a clay mation Moogle zapping monsters from the game with no in game footage. It came on at like 2 am for a couple weeks at best. FFVII had an ad campaign that constantly barraged you with FMV to mask the fact that the games graphics looked crap even by 1997 standards. 

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
NFGBlinkAC said:
IMO, I like FFVII out of all the others.

FFI - Awesome since it started off the series.

FFII - Pretty neat way of "leveling" your characters, even though they dont have levels lol.

FF III - Nice Job System, even though Evokers and Summoners are exactly the same thing basically.

FFIV - One of my favorites. DRK Cecil FTW!

FFV - Haven't played in a long time, but would love to play it again.

FFVI - So over hyped IMO when compared to VII, but still a great game. Probably my 4th Fav FF so far.

FFVII - Favorite one out of the whole series. The idea of Limit Breaks and the Materia System is probably up there along with the in depth character developement and storyline when describing why I like it.

FFVII DoC - Decent Shooter, but could've been better. Interesting Side Story.

Crisis Core - FFVII - Has the possibility of the best hand held RPGs of all time. Can't wait to play it.

FFVIII - Junction System was awesome idea, but could be extremely tedious to make your characters insane early one.

FFIX - Old School style FF with the Trance Feature instead of Limit Breaks = FTW!

FFX - Awesome storyline with a fast paced turn based battle system.

FFX-2 - Least likable FF. Mediocre at best.

FFXI - Great MMO. Actually has a good stroyline, unlike WoW.

FFXII - Enjoyable new gameplay thats introduced.

FFXIII - Do I need to explain how amazing that game looks with only like 5 sec of actual gameplay? *drool* Only thing I'm worried about is the story line and how many characters you can control :(

FFvXIII - From the revealed information about game play, should be amazing since Nomura wants it to replace the KH battle systems since it's so similar.

FFVI over hyped!? Where is Nanzatips when you need him. FFVII has been bludgeoned over the heads of fans of REAL Final Fantasy titles for the last ten years. Its one of the most overhyped games ever. FFVI had one ridiculous 15 sec ad with a clay mation Moogle zapping monsters from the game with no in game footage. It came on at like 2 am for a couple weeks at best. FFVII had an ad campaign that constantly barraged you with FMV to mask the fact that the games graphics looked crap even by 1997 standards.

FFVI is so over hyped by the "underground cool" FF fans.  FFVII did what FFVI did but a lot better.  I'm sorry, it's hard to take a luaghing clown seriously and try to get in the story when ur up against someone who's bad ass.  And if you want to start game bashing,  FFVI is the leg polio of the FF series.  You fail, your pics fail, and your opinions fail.  Stop trying to say ur opinion "FFVI is the best FF" as a fact, it's really annoying.  I was simply stating my opinion about it's over hypedness that people do, stupid douche.  there are things called exageration that exist in the English Language, learn them.

P.S.  If you don't want to look like a douche, you might not want to respond fanboyishly over someones opinion, it helps. 

Wow... I thought ignorance was something very special to come by when so blunt. But some of this thread takes the cake! I'm eating my share now.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

There's a simple equation to this....... there are imaginative, creative gamers who can, say, read books, play games with old graphics and still be pleased, be humored by old technology, and such...

And then there are gamers who have to have realism, words said directly to them so it makes sense up front without back thought and wonder, and if it isn't up to date with the modern games in terms of technology, then it doesn't keep an attention for long, if at all.

Imagination > Eye Candy
Creativity > Technology
Fun > Realism

NFGBlinkAC said:
Darc Requiem said:
NFGBlinkAC said:

FFVI is so over hyped by the "underground cool" FF fans. FFVII did what FFVI did but a lot better. I'm sorry, it's hard to take a luaghing clown seriously and try to get in the story when ur up against someone who's bad ass. And if you want to start game bashing, FFVI is the leg polio of the FF series. You fail, your pics fail, and your opinions fail. Stop trying to say ur opinion "FFVI is the best FF" as a fact, it's really annoying. I was simply stating my opinion about it's over hypedness that people do, stupid douche. there are things called exageration that exist in the English Language, learn them.

P.S. If you don't want to look like a douche, you might not want to respond fanboyishly over someones opinion, it helps.

I agree with both of you.  FFVI and FFVII are both incredibly overhyped by their respective camps.  My favorites are IV and V -- I can never really decide which of these I like better -- and VI following closely behind.  VI is great, it just isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

@facher, while I agree with the general sentiment of your three inequalities, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using better eye candy, technology, or realism, as long as it's not at the expense of imagination, creativity, and fun.  That's where I feel many developers go astray these days.  Square is somewhat less guilty of this than many developers, but it's still obviously been a problem in the later FF games.

Sure, the intentions were not that it is bad, but only bad if the game is not fun, but trying to be real. What's the point if it's not 'fun' (whatever the meaning may be). If the game isn't creative, say a Wii game that doesn't really do anything with the Wiimote, then effort wasn't really given. And if a player can not get past the concepts of imagining themselves in the game, then the player will never truly be in the game either way.

It's just the general audience and gamers that are, well, more attracted to Eye Candy, Technology and Realism, then I find myself wanting to go back to real life instead of a game that's inserting real life for me... it's not real, still, regardless. Killing people on Halo, to some, is like they think they're killing real people. This doesn't make sense... to me, the strategy (Halo 1), the interaction with room mates, and the control scheme I enjoyed (dual analogs felt very good on the game) is more important than Eye Candy (Halo 2), Technology (multiplayer support with audio and different irrelevant options for games), and Imagination - doing something different to make the game more fun, like editting game types so they're harder, not easier, or more team-friendly instead of self-promoting.

I'm rambling, but it's just the direction of some games these days is.... just not as fun, because NO, I don't want an alternate reality. I want a fictional world to enjoy, not live... or replace my life.

In this sense, I still and always will believe that FF7 is only heralded because the 'newcomers' played FF7 before any other FF game. Whoopie. In ten years, when FFXV comes out, and ushers in new 3D technology that envelops the audience in wonderful realism, the new audience will deem FFXV the best FF ever, without playing FF7 or any other FF before XV.

It's a circle. While I missed the Atari era, I throughly enjoyed the 'old' system at my Grandma's house playing pitfall, space invaders and a few others I probably didn't get to really dive in to. Pitfall was great. I'd play it today still.

Fifteen years from now it will be 'uncool' to play the XBox360 anymore and publishers/developers will probably do what most do best, take that in to consideration and figure out the 'trend', good or bad. It has to sell.

Except, that's why I love Nintendo..... even if they get heat for making a system only for its own games first, and others second, at least we have a 'spiritual guidance' that takes up some roots. They don't always work out... not every Nintendo is a success. But it keeps people, developers, and artists in check of what the original intent was.

If people wander astray too far, we forget where we've been.

I go back probably once every few months to play Dark Forces (Doom style DOS game), Chrono Trigger, TIE Fighter and any Sim City I have, to keep myself in check.