By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game?

You guys are way to harsh for people who prefer ff 7 to any other. The way you just shout fail and every other person insulting them saying they dont know any better its no wonder hes calling people names.

Lighten up over FF 7 its my favorite and you can fail me if it makes you feel better for some odd reason People can have opinions and they dont fail.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
You guys are way to harsh for people who prefer ff 7 to any other. The way you just shout fail and every other person insulting them saying they dont know any better its no wonder hes calling people names.

Lighten up over FF 7 its my favorite and you can fail me if it makes you feel better for some odd reason People can have opinions and they dont fail.

We failed Grimboyjr for not knowing what he was talking about (go back and see) and we were harsh on NFGBlinkAC because he was very harsh and had a bad attitude. 

jlhennon1 said "I've played them all and like FFVII the best."  No one made fun of him. 

Grimboyjr said "FF4-never played; FF5-never played; FF6-never played; FF7-the best Final Fantasy in history" and we made fun of him. 

NFGBlinkAC said "So over hyped IMO when compared to VII" and "FFVI is the leg polio of the FF series."  I was not kind to him. 

Do you see now? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

We failed Grimboyjr for not knowing what he was talking about (go back and see) and we were harsh on NFGBlinkAC because he was very harsh and had a bad attitude. 

jlhennon1 said "I've played them all and like FFVII the best."  No one made fun of him. 

Grimboyjr said "FF4-never played; FF5-never played; FF6-never played; FF7-the best Final Fantasy in history" and we made fun of him. 

NFGBlinkAC said "So over hyped IMO when compared to VII" and "FFVI is the leg polio of the FF series."  I was not kind to him. 

Do you see now? 

Jlhennon probably got let off because he called naz $%@*ing awsome

Your quote only proves the point, unless NFG has NEVER played it he has a right to an opinion and you hit on him for it. If he never played it then ignore what i said.

Once again everyone has a right to their opinions. Even if grimboy has only played FF 7 he could still say its the best Final fantasy in history in his opinion of course from the ones hes played.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

i would know naz dealt into me for saying FF 7 was my favorite, and yes i had never played 6 but that doesnt change my opinion

Nothing is fact.

Lost tears of Kain said:
i would know naz dealt into me for saying FF 7 was my favorite, and yes i had never played 6 but that doesnt change my opinion

Nothing is fact.

"Your favorite" is different than saying "The Best Final Fantasy in History".

I don't want to sound mean, and unless I were to repost the original comment, well, I would just like you to go back and read that original comment in question.  It's literally the same as that Iran president, the idea behind the Holocaust not existing simply because he didn't see it for himself :P

If I say "Warcraft II is the best Warcraft game in history" and then turn around and say "I've never played Warcraft III", that makes me....   I don't know what the term is, because it's just boggling.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Around the Network

Well, there are some good things and some, shall we say, suboptimal things about being a Final Fantasy game. The good:

1. Fantastic finales. Of the world-wrecking kind.
2. The popcorn factor. Kick back and soak up those cut-scenes!
3. MOOGLE MADNESS. Enough said.
4. Surprisingly literate, subtle, and historically-informed scripts, which borrow elements from sci-fi, romance, thriller, tragedy, literature, film, TV.
5. Cohesive game-world. People underestimate this one. Music, visuals, dialogue, gameplay all fit like a glove.

The suboptimal:

1. Protagonists who are generally 16-year-olds with Massively Oversized Sword issues.
2. Not enough - or credible - female characters.
3. Turn-based battles have had their day. It's time to move on to ATB.
4. Problematic identity-politics (inability to deal with race, gender, sexuality, and many other aspects of human identity). Instead of which we get sappy romances which stop being interesting when you graduate from college.
5. The lengthy wait for the next FF to come out.

FF10 made lots of progress on issues 1 and 2, while FF12 represents a true revolution in areas 2, 3 and 4. Issue 5 will, alas, probably always be with us.

Lost tears of Kain said:

Lighten up Tears.  The FAIL pictures were just jokes. 

I never attack anyone for their FF opinions, but I do give my opinions and then show why I have those opinions.  For some reason people take my harsh attitude towards FFVII as a harsh attitude towards the people who like FFVII, which is not at all the case.  They can absolutely have their opinions, but if I don't say specifically why I dislike FFVII I get accused of never playing it and told that I just don't like it because it was on the PSX (despite my love of FFIX).  

SlorgNet said:

2. The popcorn factor. Kick back and soak up those cut-scenes!

I asked my friend what he thought of FFX a long long time ago. His answer:

"It would have been a great movie if I didn't have to push so many buttons."

To this day, that is one of the best comments I've heard in regards to all the craptastic cutscene/CGI-centric RPGs that have been made of late.

"Lighten up Tears. The FAIL pictures were just jokes."

No, that crap is just trolling that you need to do something about.

When I post a Nazi Mario pic, don't get mad, since it's just a joke.

grandmaster192 said:

When I post a Nazi Mario pic, don't get mad, since it's just a joke.

Because a picture of a cat with cheese on its head and nazi mario are equally offensive amusing in your eyes?