By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game?

lots of side quests, moogles, chocobos, funky hairdos.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
grandmaster192 said:

When I post a Nazi Mario pic, don't get mad, since it's just a joke.

Because a picture of a cat with cheese on its head and nazi mario are equally offensive amusing in your eyes?

Bingo.

Ok, let's say I'm willing to try a Final Fantasy game (I actually am, cause I'm curious to find out what's the big deal). Which one should I play? If possible, I'd like to avoid turn based battles.

Thx.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
NFGBlinkAC said:
Darc Requiem said:
NFGBlinkAC said:
IMO, I like FFVII out of all the others.

FFI - Awesome since it started off the series.

FFII - Pretty neat way of "leveling" your characters, even though they dont have levels lol.

FF III - Nice Job System, even though Evokers and Summoners are exactly the same thing basically.

FFIV - One of my favorites. DRK Cecil FTW!

FFV - Haven't played in a long time, but would love to play it again.

FFVI - So over hyped IMO when compared to VII, but still a great game. Probably my 4th Fav FF so far.

FFVII - Favorite one out of the whole series. The idea of Limit Breaks and the Materia System is probably up there along with the in depth character developement and storyline when describing why I like it.

FFVII DoC - Decent Shooter, but could've been better. Interesting Side Story.

Crisis Core - FFVII - Has the possibility of the best hand held RPGs of all time. Can't wait to play it.

FFVIII - Junction System was awesome idea, but could be extremely tedious to make your characters insane early one.

FFIX - Old School style FF with the Trance Feature instead of Limit Breaks = FTW!

FFX - Awesome storyline with a fast paced turn based battle system.

FFX-2 - Least likable FF. Mediocre at best.

FFXI - Great MMO. Actually has a good stroyline, unlike WoW.

FFXII - Enjoyable new gameplay thats introduced.

FFXIII - Do I need to explain how amazing that game looks with only like 5 sec of actual gameplay? *drool* Only thing I'm worried about is the story line and how many characters you can control :(

FFvXIII - From the revealed information about game play, should be amazing since Nomura wants it to replace the KH battle systems since it's so similar.

FFVI over hyped!? Where is Nanzatips when you need him. FFVII has been bludgeoned over the heads of fans of REAL Final Fantasy titles for the last ten years. Its one of the most overhyped games ever. FFVI had one ridiculous 15 sec ad with a clay mation Moogle zapping monsters from the game with no in game footage. It came on at like 2 am for a couple weeks at best. FFVII had an ad campaign that constantly barraged you with FMV to mask the fact that the games graphics looked crap even by 1997 standards.

FFVI is so over hyped by the "underground cool" FF fans. FFVII did what FFVI did but a lot better. I'm sorry, it's hard to take a luaghing clown seriously and try to get in the story when ur up against someone who's bad ass. And if you want to start game bashing, FFVI is the leg polio of the FF series. You fail, your pics fail, and your opinions fail. Stop trying to say ur opinion "FFVI is the best FF" as a fact, it's really annoying. I was simply stating my opinion about it's over hypedness that people do, stupid douche. there are things called exageration that exist in the English Language, learn them.

P.S. If you don't want to look like a douche, you might not want to respond fanboyishly over someones opinion, it helps.

I don't think FFVI is the best Final Fantasy ever. I prefer IV to VI personally, but thanks for that assumption. Final Fantasy VI is the best Final Fantasy game up until the World of Ruin in my view. Once you get to the World of Ruin the game loses its way a bit and as you the level 60+ mark the characters become over powered and the Epser system starts to exihibit the same flaws as the materia system. If you actually had some reading comprehension skills, you would realized that my post was a direct response to part of your post that I bolded. Please tell me where I said Final Fantasy VI was the best Final Fantasy game in my post. I'd really like to see that.

P.S. If you don't want to look like a douche, you might want to read and comprehend the post you are quoting. It helps. It might also help to learn the difference between overrated and overhyped.

ElRhodeo said:
Ok, let's say I'm willing to try a Final Fantasy game (I actually am, cause I'm curious to find out what's the big deal). Which one should I play? If possible, I'd like to avoid turn based battles.

Thx.

Final Fantasy, especially at this point, is one of the hardest series to get into. Just pick one you like, dabble on the others, and try to avoid stupid flamewars.

Since you don't want turn based battles:

FF1-3 are out.

FF4-6, your turns are based on the character's speed. You need to wait for turn to come up.

FF7-9, your turns are based on the character's speed. You need to wait for turn to come up. But it's in 3D now! (I'm gonna get burned for that one)

FF10,  your turns are based on the character's speed. But there is no waiting, the game simply determines who's turn is next and gives it to them. It's almost turn-based, you won't like it.

FF10-2, your turns are based on the character's speed. You need to wait for turn to come up. (If you can stand the setting)

FF11's an MMO. I have no idea.

FF12 the party walks on a map and you need to deal with moving around and aiming AoE attacks. Also, your turns are based on the character's speed.

GL, HF. 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
Chadius said:

GL, HF.

I think the fact that I've never seen those two abbreviations yet instantly knew what they stood for means I've spent entirely too much time on the internet.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Chadius said:

GL, HF.

I think the fact that I've never seen those two abbreviations yet instantly knew what they stood for means I've spent entirely too much time on the internet.

Internet sense...tingling...

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

ElRhodeo said:

Thx.

I if you want to see the series origins

II if you want to play a crappy game

III if you want to see what an old and decent RPG is like in 3D on the DS

IV if you want good, but way too rushed, plot and good character development.

V if you want to play the game everyone ignores (decent at plot and character development)

VI if you want a lot of character development and plot

VII if you want big swords.

VIII if you want love stories to take over the rest of the plot.

IX if you want a lot of character development and plot but in 3D!

X if you like playing as whiney brat main characters and horrible voice acting

XI if you like MMOs

XII if you have always wondered what the plot of Star Wars would be like in a Final Fantasy setting but toned down to levels of retardation and with really really crappy characters.

I recommend IX or VI.

ElRhodeo said:

Hmm, well, turn-based battles are sort of endemic to the FF franchise, so that excludes lots of titles.

If you want to avoid turns, go for Final Fantasy 12. Very open worlds and open game-play, lots of fun. I know Naznatips disagrees about this, but to me, FF12 is one of the high-water marks of the videogame culture. Fantabulous story, complex characters (including strong, independent women, something rare in FF), great cut-scenes, great voice-acting, wondrous game-play, music and design -- and it holds your hand, introducing each game-play element slowly, so you don't get overwhelmed.

Also, there are lots of side-quests and missions, so you can spend 100 hours and more on the game, if you want. (Or just plow through the main missions in 25 hours).

FF10 is also wonderful, the voice acting isn't THAT bad, it's just inconsistent - occasionally spot on, but occasionally clunky towards the end. It is turn based, though. 

It's not Naztips that disagrees with you Slorg. It's everyone else who's ever played it... or close too it anyway.

Either way IGN ranked both Final Fantasy's 4 and 6 over 7. Which gives them credibility in my eyes. With 6 being one of the top 10 games of all time. So, go IGN.

Even FF12 is "Turn based" it's just live action turn based, as it takes a long time for your skills, physical attacks and magic to charge up.