By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Square Enix Is The Modern Definition Of Fool’s Gold

I should add I am not saying JRPG's are bad now, I can't judge that but as a newcomer to the genre with FF13 being my first I think the company has been successful in enticing new gamers to the franchise because I loved that game, this may be why its sold that well & reversed the decline the franchise saw in the west, its attracted new consumers. As far as I remember its reviews were lower than expected which crushed any hype the game had.

However apart from it no JRPG has sold well, so its an exception to the rule.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
heruamon said:

SE is chasing fool's gold...lol...the article's author needs to get a reality check.

well SE's only big hit this gen is FF13! so maybe are chasing fools gold? just a thought. nothing to debate.

It's not fool's gold when somebody is willing to fund you and drastically reduce your operating cost to keep people employed...that's called smart business.  Look at EA...it sells a TON of games, but has lsot money nearly EVERY quarter this generation...are they chasing fool's gold as well?  Blizzard has nearly been the only saving grace for Activision-Blizzard for years as well.  If you're not in this business to make money, but instead to brag...then sure, it's fool's gold, but I highly doubt shareholders care about much other than solid balance sheets.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I concur.

all the jrpg gamers is on the ps3.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
I concur.

all the jrpg gamers is on the ps3.

And the 1.3 Million people that got FF13 on xbox were soccer mom's 

If his logic is correct, then the FF franchise should've been on the original Xbox and not on the PS2 because of superior space and graphics. That is the major crack in his argument. I understand the point he's trying to make, but that is a serious crack. Ninja Gaiden and the FF series have shared the same fate in being on the same system in succession, but later went multiplatform. The difference between the two is Ninja Gaiden got two tries (NG2 and NG2Sigma) where as FF only get one on both systems.

Around the Network

The SE brandname is irrevocably tarnished nowadays...
but they know where the money is. How many Xbox360s did their games alone help sell in Japan? At least 100k.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Funny thing is, they said they brought FFXIII to the 360 to "expand the series in the West"....and the PS3 version outsold it..in the West

mtlca66 said:
i haven't liked a single game ever since the merger between square and enix. ff10 was the last ff that i actually liked, and it was made by squaresoft. SE changed direction and quality way too much imo. i dont have high hopes for vs13 at all.

completely agree with you, all of SE games have been trash compared to when they were squaresoft, i want mystwalker to develop some ps3 games, i bet they will sell well.

I was writing a reply to this bullshit but then I couldn't be bothered.

Sum up = im bitter at Square Enix, life, the Stations downfall.

Theres so much bad logic in this that I'd have to write 2* as much just to disprove every point. So I say fuckit and I'll move on knowing that yet another bitter and unhappy person can have his tears caught by the 3-4 Final Fantasy XIII versus Xbox 360 discs.

Tease.

Playstation's first major title was Resident Evil, not Final Fantasy 7. Resident Evil was probably the single most important game on the PSX.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.