By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1up Dragon Quest IX Preview - Might be the Next Pokemon

Holy Hell monkey bones no it's not going to be as big as Pokemon. It's not going to be in the same league.

I expect it'll probably be the biggest Dragon Quest in history, and this may be the first time in a long time that DQ outsells FF worldwide, but Pokemon? There's no dedicated game console RPG series on the planet that compares to Pokemon.

Around the Network

Dragon Quest won't be able to become as popular as something like Pokemon or even Final Fantasy. Its parent company doesn't care about it enough to warrant that.

However, if SquareEnix could pull their head out of the sand and actually advertise the games, Dragon Quest could be making sales of anywhere from 500,000-1 million each title in America and near that in Europe. But it would take a progressive marketing campaign. And, even more importantly, they would have to market EACH game. None of this on again, off again marketing they've been doing with the series where they market a couple games (DQVIII/Joker) and then drop all support for the next installments (Swords/IV/V).

A series doesn't gain sales simply off the reputation of its previous titles. You think Final Fantasy games sell without marketing? SquareEnix is throwing millions in ads behind those games. So why won't they spare even a dime for Dragon Quest anymore?

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Not like Pokemon. Never!

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Dragon Quest won't be able to become as popular as something like Pokemon or even Final Fantasy. Its parent company doesn't care about it enough to warrant that.

However, if SquareEnix could pull their head out of the sand and actually advertise the games, Dragon Quest could be making sales of anywhere from 500,000-1 million each title in America and near that in Europe. But it would take a progressive marketing campaign. And, even more importantly, they would have to market EACH game. None of this on again, off again marketing they've been doing with the series where they market a couple games (DQVIII/Joker) and then drop all support for the next installments (Swords/IV/V).

A series doesn't gain sales simply off the reputation of its previous titles. You think Final Fantasy games sell without marketing? SquareEnix is throwing millions in ads behind those games. So why won't they spare even a dime for Dragon Quest anymore?

I know we've talked about this before, but Nintendo is marketing IX and X, not S-E.

If they make the social aspects as good as the old pokémon games, it's possible.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I know we've talked about this before, but Nintendo is marketing IX and X, not S-E.

I know Nintendo is marketing this title.  However, that doesn't mean they'll be marketing the next games.  And just like what happened back on the NES, when Nintendo pulls the plug on their funding and the parent company is left to advertise Dragon Quest themselves, I don't want to see Dragon Quest ignored.

Its been a vicious cycle that's already happened multiple times now.  And the SquareEnix of today already seems to have a mentality of only advertising the games they think will make millions.  Leaving all their smaller properties to fend for themselves and die off.

But Dragon Quest wouldn't have been in this situation if SquareEnix had handled it properly from the beginning and continued to market it.  The frst two games they released sold well.  Its just because they cut advertising that the sales (and attention) for the the series died off.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Khuutra said:

I know Nintendo is marketing this title.  However, that doesn't mean they'll be marketing the next games.  And just like what happened back on the NES, when Nintendo pulls the plug on their funding and the parent company is left to advertise Dragon Quest themselves, I don't want to see Dragon Quest ignored.

Its been a vicious cycle that's already happened multiple times now.  And the SquareEnix of today already seems to have a mentality of only advertising the games they think will make millions.  Leaving all their smaller properties to fend for themselves and die off.

But Dragon Quest wouldn't have been in this situation if SquareEnix had handled it properly from the beginning and continued to market it.  The frst two games they released sold well.  Its just because they cut advertising that the sales (and attention) for the the series died off.

The question isn't about the franchise, though.

It's only about IX.

lol no

Just because nintendo is marketing it doesn't mean its gonna hit the skies in terms of sales. and those social feature are pretty useless when hardly anyone buys the game in america.

Pokemon wouldn't have had such a big social aspect if it had sold like just 300K - 400K. Pokemon had its anime start before it launched, the anime was a hit in ratings from the get go (still nowhere near how massive it would eventually be), trading cards, merchandise.....pokemon had the media talking about it. Dragon Quest won't have this.

In Japan its fine because the game sold 2 Million day 1..so it had a big social base to start off with.

DQ8 only sold that well because the FF12 demo was packaged with it. (it did have some sales on its own merit....but the FF12 demo was a big reason people go it)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Khuutra said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Khuutra said:

It's only about IX.

Uh.... this thread and the article its about 'Dragon Quest becoming the next Pokemon'.  The only way that can happen is how I laid out in my first post.

Dragon Quest IX is not going to become an overnight sensation.  Only games with multi-million dollar ad capmaigns like FInal Fantasy VII and Pokemon Red/Blue can do that.  They aren't going to throw 100 million dollars in advertising behind Dragon Quest IX.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Khuutra said:

It's only about IX.

Uh.... this thread and the article its about 'Dragon Quest becoming the next Pokemon'.  The only way that can happen is how I laid out in my first post.

Dragon Quest IX is not going to become an overnight sensation.  Only games with multi-million dollar ad capmaigns like FInal Fantasy VII and Pokemon Red/Blue can do that.  They aren't going to throw 100 million dollars in advertising behind Dragon Quest IX.

Well, they did say that they think it has the potential to sell to a much, much wider audience than it currently does.... they compared it to either Professor Layton (which would be a good start) or Brain Training (which is ass-backwards insane)