By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sometimes Being an Adult Sucks (kinda gaming related, all finances)

@Khuutra, judging from this thread it doesnt sound like u have any debt (since u are now investing), so how did u finance your university studies? Scholarship? No students loan?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
@Khuutra, judging from this thread it doesnt sound like u have any debt (since u are now investing), so how did u finance your university studies? Scholarship? No students loan?

A very kind grandfather of independent means.

Khuutra said:
Slimebeast said:

A very kind grandfather of independent means.

Lucky you. My debt for my students loan is over $60K. I had almost forgot lol.

I plan on dying before retirement. Right now I have no job, about $1000 in the bank, and have no idea how to pay for (really good but expensive) college for the next 4 years.

The only thing I'm thinking about moneywise right now is how to pay for SMG2 this week.

I'll maybe start investing once I get all my shit together. Did a project in school where I invested $30,000 in the stock market and at peak made $6,000 from the portfolio. Right now it's down to $4,000 though :&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
I plan on dying before retirement. Right now I have no job, about $1000 in the bank, and have no idea how to pay for (really good but expensive) college for the next 4 years.

The only thing I'm thinking about moneywise right now is how to pay for SMG2 this week.

I'll maybe start investing once I get all my shit together. Did a project in school where I invested $30,000 in the stock market and at peak made $6,000 from the portfolio. Right now it's down to $4,000 though :&

What kind of window of time did you have there? Four months? Three? Less? Those exercises tend to be fairly useless because they don't teach you to look at the market long-term.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Signalstar said:

What kind of window of time did you have there? Four months? Three? Less? Those exercises tend to be fairly useless because they don't teach you to look at the market long-term.

Four. It's not like we could sell and buy stock after the initial purchase so it waas absolutely worthless in my eyes.

OT: I invested in News Corp because I knew Avatar was going to be huge. The movie sucked but it was the best performing stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Its nice that your thinking about your finances, not enough people do. Thats why the last stat I think I heard was that 70% of people are in debt, and that 50% wont have any retirement income except for gov't income when they retire. Not a pretty picture.

Its all about finding the right balance for you. Some $$$ saved for something or hard times, some $$$ for disposable income, some $$$ for necessities, etc. At least its worked for me.

Not sure if anyones given this advice, but maybe you should look into getting a financial advisor, especially if you are a high income earner.

The only investment advise I can give is to think about what you want to do with that money. Retirement income, downpayment for something, nest egg for hard times, something leisure (worldwide tour), etc. Then setup your portfolio with a healthy mix of risk and return for your investments that will give you the best chance in attaining your financial goals.

Hopefully a good financial planner can help with that. Good Luck.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

Khuutra said:
mrstickball said:

Essentially,

You give the money to the trust fund in the form of share buy-in. They take the money, and invest it into real estate. In AGNC's case, its usually mortgage repossessions...They buy a mortgage for a fraction of the face value, and either re-hab the home, get the money from the person in the house, or re-sell the home as is.

All profits, sans the administration fee and raw costs, goes back to the shareholders in the form of dividends. Each quarter, AGNC returns about 5% of your investment in the form of dividends.

Iiiiiiiinteresting

Sounds like it might not be particularly sustainable in terms of that profit level for very long, though

Some trust funds do work like that, but not many.

A trust is actually based on a plan document that outlines the relationships of the beneficiaries (people who have put into the trust) of the plan and owners of the plan (Trustees).  The trustees based on the plan document can invest in basically whatever they wish as long as it falls inline with the statement of investment principles that the trust has to agree to.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.