By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sometimes Being an Adult Sucks (kinda gaming related, all finances)

I don't tend to think of myself as an "adult" most of the time, but today I had a moment where that overwhelming sense of personal responsibility really hit home in an empowering but sobering way.

Me and the little wife love video games. We love our personal computers. We both own laptops - mine's going on four years old, and I intend to squeeze a few more years out of it with lightweight Linux distros, but it's not really good for games anymore. We talked about what we would rather get - an HDTV, or a desktop computer we'd build ourselves. We settled on the desktop, reasoning we could use a decent monitor for our HD gaming if we so desired.

We've been planning this for a long, long time. I've put off buying the Mass Effects, Bethesda games, Dragon Age.... all because I intended to get them once I build a desktop.

Today I was reading through a book on financials, and I looked up at my wife and I said,

"What would you think if I said we should just take the desktop money and buy stock in a big bank or something?"

She agreed that this was the better idea.

We both come from backgrounds of high income combined with financial turmoil due to money mismanagement so that we've never really lived like our families' incomes would have suggested. This has given a tendency toward saving, a belief in the need to invest in our financial security. The idea of taking five hundnred dollars a pop and buying stock in some big, stable, old corporations is comforting, especially when you opt into those programs where dividends paid to you get re-invested into buying more shares. We're in our early (early) twenties, but this could be the first big serious step we have toward investing in retirement.

It's the right decision. I know it is.

But dammit, that desktop was gonna be awesome.

Oh well. Time to buy the 360 version of Mass Effect, I guess...

Around the Network

You only live once. If you are happy with your lifestyle, and want a desktop I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get one

(yeah, I know you weren't asking for advice, but thought I should just say that)

dsister44 said:
You only live once. If you are happy with your lifestyle, and want a desktop I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get one

(yeah, I know you weren't asking for advice, but thought I should just say that)

Yeah but the point is I do see reason not to get one right now

*loves being a kid*

Anyway, if you feel more secure with stocks, go for that.

If you're just rambling, stop being a cranky adult.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
*loves being a kid*

It's more of a ramble, yeah, but it's meant primarily to appeal to people who can identify with the problem

Like other people who have to mind their finances

Though, you know, if you started investing at your age (even just fifty bucks a quarter)...

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
*loves being a kid*

It's more of a ramble, yeah, but it's meant primarily to appeal to people who can identify with the problem

Though, you know, if you started investing at your age (even just fifty bucks a quarter)...

Don't you start turning me into an adult Khuutra, I like my free time to play video games and not care about stuff.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Don't you start turning me into an adult Khuutra, I like my free time to play video games and not care about stuff.

I don't mean playing the stock market or anything. It's like a high-yield savings account, only moreso.

But yeah I guess you're right.

R u a student Khuutra? But even of you are a student with low income Im still shocked about your decision to save that money.

Khuutra is right... I wish I started saving/investing earlier..

If you were to put say 3,000 a year into something that yielded 8% interest from the time you were 16 to 25 (10 years) and then didn't touch it - just left it there, by the time you hit 65 you would have over a million just from the interest... :P

I started way late, was probably 5 years or so ago when I was 25... I now have about 50,000 with all my different investments, so to give you an example, if I stopped now and got 8% every year by the time I was 65 I'd have less than 700k :(

Start young grasshoppers!

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Its the reason why I take money out before I spend it, thus forcing me to be much more efficient with the money left over to spend.

Tease.