By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sometimes Being an Adult Sucks (kinda gaming related, all finances)

mrstickball said:
AGNC is a great one to invest in right now, IMO.

Established in 2008 as a real estate trust fund, it's returned 89% of its purchase price in dividends to stock holders.

Its good to be fiscally responsible.

That's.... it still feels pretty high-risk for an investment right there.

Around the Network

Why? Its a trust fund.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Why? Its a trust fund.

I suppose so but it's still only two years old

And I'm not clear on how trusts actually make money

Essentially,

You give the money to the trust fund in the form of share buy-in. They take the money, and invest it into real estate. In AGNC's case, its usually mortgage repossessions...They buy a mortgage for a fraction of the face value, and either re-hab the home, get the money from the person in the house, or re-sell the home as is.

All profits, sans the administration fee and raw costs, goes back to the shareholders in the form of dividends. Each quarter, AGNC returns about 5% of your investment in the form of dividends.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Graduated from uni 5 months ago. Have a part time job as an editor for the marketing division of a financial firm and will soon hopefully have another part time job at Sony doing quality control work and chaptering for BR releases.

I'm saving pretty much everything I earn at the moment. However I still get to go out a lot, see movies, drink etc. But I'm lucky because I still live at home and thus don't have any real expenses atm. Which gives me a lot of flexibility financially speaking.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

Essentially,

You give the money to the trust fund in the form of share buy-in. They take the money, and invest it into real estate. In AGNC's case, its usually mortgage repossessions...They buy a mortgage for a fraction of the face value, and either re-hab the home, get the money from the person in the house, or re-sell the home as is.

All profits, sans the administration fee and raw costs, goes back to the shareholders in the form of dividends. Each quarter, AGNC returns about 5% of your investment in the form of dividends.

Iiiiiiiinteresting

Sounds like it might not be particularly sustainable in terms of that profit level for very long, though

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

It's more of a ramble, yeah, but it's meant primarily to appeal to people who can identify with the problem

Like other people who have to mind their finances

Though, you know, if you started investing at your age (even just fifty bucks a quarter)...

Don't you start turning me into an adult Khuutra, I like my free time to play video games and not care about stuff.

I don't mean playing the stock market or anything. It's like a high-yield savings account, only moreso.

But yeah I guess you're right.

Yeah, how's that thing go.... put 50 dollars in the bank every month when your 15,(or a mutual fund or something) and by the time your 60 you'll have a million dollars.

I feel for you... well kinda anyway.  I've put off buying games for months, not for investing but for making sure I have money saved up for the future... and am in my late 20's so I'm behind you a bit actually.

I can feel where your coming from for sure though.

Early 20's, for some reason you seem older.

Edit: Well actually maybe I'm not behind you.  I keep forgetting I have money invested soley because it's a "DO NOT TOUCH EXCEPT FOR HOUSE DOWNPAYMENT" type thing.  Not sure if you own or rent or whatever.

Khuutra said:
Slimebeast said:

R u a student Khuutra? But even of you are a student with low income Im still shocked about your decision to save that money.

No, I'm not a student, though I aim to go back to school. Yes, I am fairly low income at the moment.

As to your second post:

I had assumed you were more fiscally conservative than that. People are hungry their whole lives.

Well, to be fair, in Sweeden they probably take care of you when your older or have pensions or... something.

Kasz216 said:

Yeah, how's that thing go.... put 50 dollars in the bank every month when your 15,(or a mutual fund or something) and by the time your 60 you'll have a million dollars.

I feel for you... well kinda anyway.  I've put off buying games for months, not for investing but for making sure I have money saved up for the future... and am in my late 20's so I'm behind you a bit actually.

The idea is that you get a bigger return when you buy stock and reinvest it into buying more stok tan you would if you just had a high-yield savings account. And the taxes on dividend income is lower, etc.

I seem older because.... eh I have no funny punchline.

To your second post:

My point was that I thought Slimebeast hated it when the state takes care of people.

Khuutra said:
Kasz216 said:

The idea is that you get a bigger return when you buy stock and reinvest it into buying more stok tan you would if you just had a high-yield savings account. And the taxes on dividend income is lower, etc.

I seem older because.... eh I have no funny punchline.

To your second post:

My point was that I thought Slimebeast hated it when the state takes care of people.

Yeah, I just had a friend like that in highschool... he did something where somehow if he put so much in a month he would have so much money by a certain time.  I don't know exactly what the deal was.   There was something I learned that guranteed you to be "rich" at a decent age... it's not important.

As for the second part... You make a good point, but if you've got it anyway... you may as well do it.   I mean if you're against universal healthcare, and you have it... you may as well use it.  Why try and pay the doctor?  Your probably paying for some of this stuff anyway.