By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS EYE can do what NATAL can:

Ok, here is another pretty substantual difference between Natal, and Move. One needs a remote to work, one does not.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network

Damn.. what a discussion about true 3D, false 3D, etc. Lets just wait and see what kind of games both can play, and we don't have to wait long as the E3 should be a good indication.

Personally I believe both will fail and not because they have bad hardware. Natal will fail because Microsoft will fail to deliver enough AAA software to make it a musthave (face it they dont have Nintendo's firstparty support and without firstparty the Wii would have failed). And imo Sony will fail because its motion tech is just too complicated. A PS3 + a stick + a webcam, it just doesn't have the accassibility and appeal that motion gaming is supposed to bring. For hardcore motion gaming it seems to be good though, but as a way to really sell more PS3s, I doubt it.

ironman said:
Ok, here is another pretty substantual difference between Natal, and Move. One needs a remote to work, one does not.

Ok, here is another pretty substantual difference between Natal, and Move. one has buttons, one does not.

oh and as the game at the start shows the eye doesn't need the controller. move is the remote, but yeah it needs the eye to work.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

9009pc said:
ironman said:

Ok, here is another pretty substantual difference between Natal, and Move. one has buttons, one does not.

oh and as the game at the start shows the eye doesn't need the controller. move is the remote, but yeah it needs the eye to work.

and the one thing they have in commen is. they both need cameras to work.

Natal probably isn't blindly guessing as implied, but is extrapolating based on a reasonable number of parameters including skeletal position, motion and velocity information, inverse kinematics, biophysics, etc.

Hide the move controller behind your back and shake it for a bit and it will get lost, because you can only deduce so much info from accelerometers and there are too many unknown variables. I'd wager that for body position Natal does a better job of figuring out joint/skeletal position than Eye/Move because of the 3d data, but it is expected to.

Around the Network
youarebadatgames said:
Hide the move controller behind your back and shake it for a bit and it will get lost, because you can only deduce so much info from accelerometers and there are too many unknown variables. I'd wager that for body position Natal does a better job of figuring out joint/skeletal position than Eye/Move because of the 3d data, but it is expected to.

I don't see the argument here. What game wants you to hide a glowing ball behind your back? (Apart from the fact you will have a hard time moving the glowing ball for a sizable distance, staying hidden behind your back). Is Natal better when I shine an IR diode into its camera? Can Natal detect if I do a "pew pew pew" behind my back? All pointless arguments. Enjoy the games - be they made for the Move or the Natal. ,and none will require you to hide your hand behind your back.

PS Eye/Move is far more superior. http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/05/17/natal-guesses-players-movement/ Also PS Eye doesn't require Move to work, Move requires PS Eye to work. PS Eye/Move has way more possibilities for games. Also Sony, along with Nintendo, were also offered the technology but didn't take it because of their production cost.

youarebadatgames said:
Natal probably isn't blindly guessing as implied, but is extrapolating based on a reasonable number of parameters including skeletal position, motion and velocity information, inverse kinematics, biophysics, etc.

Is there anything you have to back up Natal performing better? I've seen plenty of videos of Natal getting confused, going crazy at the request of seeing the bottom of a shoe, right arms failing to be registered properly so the player switches to their left arm, people with dark clothing not being recognised. 

For most games you're using either a gun, a sword or a steering wheel in the game, there's plenty of video evidence of real-time demos showing guns and swords being done accurately by the move, and the move performs extremely well as a 3D mouse. As for the steering wheel, I think the best thing is an actual steering wheel like the official GT one (instead of waving your arms in the air pretending to hold a steering wheel)

Maybe Natal will be good for Fifa and Pro Evo?

Grey21 said:
Damn.. what a discussion about true 3D, false 3D, etc. Lets just wait and see what kind of games both can play, and we don't have to wait long as the E3 should be a good indication.

Personally I believe both will fail and not because they have bad hardware. Natal will fail because Microsoft will fail to deliver enough AAA software to make it a musthave (face it they dont have Nintendo's firstparty support and without firstparty the Wii would have failed). And imo Sony will fail because its motion tech is just too complicated. A PS3 + a stick + a webcam, it just doesn't have the accassibility and appeal that motion gaming is supposed to bring. For hardcore motion gaming it seems to be good though, but as a way to really sell more PS3s, I doubt it.

I agree with you for the most part, but your reason for why Move will fail makes no sense.  Move is too complicated?  I don't think so , considering a PS3 + Move + PSEye = a Wii + Wiimote + IR Sensor Bar.  Move is no more complicated than Wii. 

Strength said:
PS Eye/Move is far more superior. http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/05/17/natal-guesses-players-movement/ Also PS Eye doesn't require Move to work, Move requires PS Eye to work. PS Eye/Move has way more possibilities for games. Also Sony, along with Nintendo, were also offered the technology but didn't take it because of their production cost.

The PS eye does NOT do 3D gaming well at all, watch some of the videos...they look more laggy than Natals tech demo...not good. BTW, look at the addy of the link you posted, Biased and ignorant fanboys, the whole lot of them. Natal uses software to track the bodies motion, it doesn't just "guess" where the body is. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!