By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone got examples of Nintendo talking trash this generation?

Pyro as Bill said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Red4ADevil said:
Nintendo is much more well mannered that the two combined.

Bear in mind Nintendo has a family image to uphold.

I look at Nintendo as I do Nick and Disney. They appeal the youngins and avoid controvery.

Nah, Nintendo is just acting like any other grown-up, mature adult. It's Sony and MS who have to uphold their 'hardcore' image by insulting the competition ala XBOX LIVE.

Well from my recollection its mostly Sony that does the trash talk.

But like I said, it seems particularly odd when a wholesome company like Nintendo is trash talking.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

"It's hot if it's disruptive, it's not if it's predictable."

Doobie_wop said:
puffy said:
Doobie_wop said:
The unveiling of the new Apple iPad earlier this week has a lot of people excited. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata is not one of them.

“It was a bigger iPod Touch”, Iwata told Associated Press, adding that the new device offered “no surprises”.

The Nintendo president was equally down on the recent enthusiasm over 3D technology, saying “I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?”

I don’t know. How does shouting/blowing into a handheld on the train make you look?

His buzz-killing didn’t stop there, either, responding to questions about motion-sensing handhelds and high definition Wiis with “I question whether those features would be enough to get people to buy new machines”.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/nintendo-president-pooh-poohs-apple-ipad-3d-technology/

I don't think his opinion on the matter is needed and his stab at Sony was obviously to self promote his own product. I'd also like to point out that I've heard Microsoft and Sony also say good stuff about the competition, I haven't heard the same from Nintendo.

You don't think his opinion was needed? So what do you think he just called a press conference to mention these things? No it was an interview and he was asked directly. He was right too you know, iPad is just a big iPod Touch and all of it's features were already basically known. With 3D, there are already people saying they'll wait for glasses-less 3DTV's before they jump in, even on this very website!

Also Reggie recently said that he liked what Microsoft were doing with XBOX LIVE so.. Yeah they have complimented their competitors.

He could have just passed the question along or answered without insulting his competitors, he responded like that only because he had the 3DS in mind and wanted to downplay his 3D competitor and his handheld competitor. Plenty of the thing's Sony and Microsoft have said are true when attacking their competitors, it doesn't make it any less rude. I'm just trying to point out that Nintendo aren't the saint's that the fans seem to think they are.

He was asked a question he answered it. For the most part he is largely correct. The media has hyped up the iPad as a revolution and the hype machine was building for innovation. Instead they show the iPad something that will appeal to many people but after E3 was clear was not revolutionary.

He also attacked glasses I can't even get people to put glasses on for nVidia Vision(I use them). That said glasses make images darker(even in the movie theater you are losing at least 50 percent light because of the polarized filters over your eyes and the shutter(home) system does not do better in this regard.

Sony and MS would not of backed down, Steve Jobs would not of backed down from such a question and if you don't believe type in Flash Steve Jobs. So you expect Nintendo to. They gave an opinion the opinion makes sense. You do not have to agree with it. even if you like Nintnedo you do not have to agree with them all of the time. Just like if you like Sony/MS you don't ave to agree with them all of the time.

STEKSTAV said:
- "Apple isnt a viable gaming platform"

- “I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?”

- "I've been very intrigued with Little Big Planet (from Sony). I don't know that it belongs on their platform."

- "New Super Mario Wii will outsell MW2"

- "I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing,"

- “Looking at what PlayStation is doing, it feels very ‘Wii-too’”, he told the LA Times. “In terms of Microsoft, we'll see when they actually show off their software. I think our competitors will be challenged in a number of ways: bringing fun experiences to life, because in the end that's what the consumer wants."

- Nintendo Wii: Reggie Claims No One With A Wii Would Buy PlayStation Move

- "After 52 months in the market, the installed base of the DS in the U.S. is larger than the installed base of the PlayStation 2, at the same time frame"

- "Having talked to a lot of consumers in our market, the consumer wants to pay just once for their overall experience. I’ve heard complaints when consumers buy maps or extra levels. From a Nintendo perspective, we believe selling a game that is fair to the consumer and charging them once instead of multiple times is the best business model."

- "More and more retailers are experimenting with the used game model. We don’t believe used games are in the best interest of the consumer. We have products that consumers want to hold onto. They want to play all of the levels of a Zelda game and unlock all of the levels. A game like Personal Trainer Cooking has a long life. We believe used games aren’t in the consumer’s best interes"

Yes, an awesome list of the "smack talk" Nintendo has done. Though some of them aren't.

1. Apple is a company, but in context. This isn't smack talk, it's stupidity. It's like saying the PC isn't a viable gaming platform. iSeries uses the PC process of movement. Start technical move to other areas.

2. Not smack talk. That's consumer behavioural observation. This could apply to movies not just video games. It's not a zing against 3d, it's will consumers want 3d glasses 3d at home. Personally I'll wait.

3. He actually admits it's a good game, but Sony has gone gung ho for action, shooters and other violent games. I'ts like saying Seseme street shouldn't be on the PS2 because it was the hardcore machine last gen. oh wait.....

4. That's just disgusting smack talk right there. Not only are walking the walk, they are insulting and doing bragging rights before the games came out. This is just bad behaviour as anything the others have given out even worse in some cases. booooo reggie, boooo.

5. Again it's out of context, but it is a bit degrading. So yeah I think it can fall into smack talk. Though it's no where saying that Move is a fad.

6. This isn't smack talk. This is the behavioural association that comes from the studies of Innovators series and Blue Ocean. Reggie was brought into Nintendo for his experience with Pepsi and his capability of Blue Ocean. He's talking about the consumers and it's valid. I'm not going to a 5 star restaurant when I wan't something quick to eat.

7. Come on Nintendo this is a bit insulting isn't it. Do you really need to be poor winners?

8. Once again this isn't smack talk. It's about consumer behaviour. It's also a bit short sighted. It's all about cost to content value. If your going to charge a lot for a game $60. Then it better be worth keeping and playing for a long time. Nintendo along with only a few companies has proven that a single solid game will sell for a LONG time without additional content. However a cheaply sold game with additional content later can make even more profits with cheap DLC. Not smack talk, but it is stupid. Come on Nintendo aren't you the company that's trying to embody that the consumer doesn't always know what it wants?

9. Again I don't see how this is smack talk. If you found a FPS that was so good that you could keep on replaying it forever regardless of console then you do. It's only because FPS don't have lasting qaulity that new editions sell so well.

10. Whers the Otaku comment? well let's just say that was a pretty damnd insulting smack in the face to consumers.

Anyways. Nintendo surely haven't been saint's this gen. Anyways great summary of questional comments.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Nintendo rarely responded to Sony's and MS' insults - "They are looking for a different market... it's outdated.. etc.."

BUT, they did trash talk about Move - "Nintendo invents, Sony copies"
If I might give my opinion about that without flamming, I think it's not a coincidence Nintendo's first "attack" to Sony in this generation to be after Sony's presentation of the Move, I think they are scared to lose a relevant % of the market to the PS3's Move.

Around the Network

I dont think Nintendo trash talk...They seem to content themselves by stating the obvious.

1. We have won this generation by a freakin million miles

2. Hey look everyone is copying us, how flattering

Cypher1980 said:
I dont think Nintendo trash talk...They seem to content themselves by stating the obvious.

1. We have won this generation by a freakin million miles

2. Hey look everyone is copying us, how flattering

I lol'd.

jneul said:
when they said apple was their new enemy and the sony-ninty battle was over, i think they are getting a bit big headed and need to be careful..

That quote was NEVER UTTERED...EVER. Unless you have a real verifiable QUOTE from anyone at Nintendo saying that, this needs to be thrown into the trash. 

axumblade said:
ph4nt said:
axumblade said:

I think Reggie is the worst for Nintendo PR. But other then saying he didn't see any reason for the PSP-Go, I can't think of anything major he's said. I think he just strikes me as arrogant in comparison to anyone else I hear anything about from Nintendo.

Well, he was most definitely correct about the PSP GO.

Maybe to you. e.e

and me . . .

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

redspear said:

He was asked a question he answered it. For the most part he is largely correct. The media has hyped up the iPad as a revolution and the hype machine was building for innovation. Instead they show the iPad something that will appeal to many people but after E3 was clear was not revolutionary.

He also attacked glasses I can't even get people to put glasses on for nVidia Vision(I use them). That said glasses make images darker(even in the movie theater you are losing at least 50 percent light because of the polarized filters over your eyes and the shutter(home) system does not do better in this regard.

Sony and MS would not of backed down, Steve Jobs would not of backed down from such a question and if you don't believe type in Flash Steve Jobs. So you expect Nintendo to. They gave an opinion the opinion makes sense. You do not have to agree with it. even if you like Nintnedo you do not have to agree with them all of the time. Just like if you like Sony/MS you don't ave to agree with them all of the time.

Then the thread is pointless and you also back's up what I said before, all companies can say negative thing's about their competitors and it really shouldn't matter. When company's compete in the same market, I expect them to trash talk and despite if the statement was true in the guy's 'opinion' it still should be labeled as trash talk. I'm just trying to exempt Nintendo from this godly status a lot of people seemed to give them recently, even though they have been the most arrogant in the later part of this gen. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752