By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone got examples of Nintendo talking trash this generation?

Doobie_wop said:
redspear said:

No trash talk is not an opinion. Trash talk is saying something about a competitor that is meant to cover your own weaknesses. For instance Only kids or grannies buy Nintendo is trash talk it is not based on fact and it is not the grounds of opinions since the facts are researchable in that case Saying motion controls are a fad is not trash talk. Saying waggle controls make you look like an idiot is. You might think they are the same one is attacking the people who use it the other is an pinion of what they see the future is. 

You don't expect companies to say nice things about other companies. However trash talk is more then just expressing an opinion. However if you drink the Kool Aid of Company X then trash talk doesn't seem like that.

So, what Nintendo said wasn't trash talk? I can't see how what they said about 3D and the I-Pad is any different (maybe less aggressive) than some thing's Sony and Microsoft has said in the past. Saying that Sony's 3D tech won't work or it would be embarrassing for people to wear glasses while gaming (it's not embarrassing to stand around and wave your arm's apparently), that's an attack against Sony. Saying that the Ipad is just a bigger Ipod touch and that it was unimpressive, that's an attack against Apple. If Sony or Apple had said that 3DS at E3 this year was just a DS with 3D, that it was unimpressive and they couldn't imagine someone walking around playing one, then the Nintendo forum's would be in uproar.

In the end, I'm just trying to say that Nintendo aren't perfect, they just happen to be ahead of everyone else in the game and so they don't need to trash talk. Iwata and Reggie aren't saint's under the God that is Miyamoto.

I think that was a misunderstood quote. Iwata wasn't saying it'd be embarrassing for people to wear glasses. He was questioning whether everyone in the house would wear the glasses, and how the people without them would see the TV - it would not be 3D for them, so they'd be missing out on the experience.

When he says something along the lines of "3D won't work," he just means it won't be enough of a draw to be worth implementing in, say, the Wii. If the 3DS really is only a DS in 3D, people have every right to be unimpressed, and I doubt people would be that offended if Sony or Apple commented on such a thing, as Nintendo execs said the same about 3D themselves. Personally, I'm expecting more than just a DS with 3D visuals.

You'll often hear Nintendo execs say stuff like, "I don't think the consumer is interested in online play." That obviously doesn't mean they think it's worthless, but generally they're trying see things from the majority's perspective, and it may sound bizarre sometimes because they include both gamers and non-gamers (as they're targeting everyone, while the other companies focus primarily on current customers).

If you want examples of trash talk, it'd be when they actually take jabs at each other, like so:

Hirai on MS: “You need a word that describes something that lacks longevity. Last time I checked, they’ve never had a console that’s been on the market for more than four or five years and we’ve committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math.”

Greenberg on the Wii: "They’re buying it, it’s like something they break out when people come over, and it’s maybe a fun thing, but it’s almost like the same people that buy a karaoke machine, you know? They’re not really buying it for games, they’re just buying it as a novelty."

Reggie on Apple: "If our games represent a range between snacks of entertainment and full meals depending on the type of game, [Apple's] aren't even a mouthful, in terms of the gaming experience you get."

As for Nintendo not being perfect, that's obvious, but I'd definitely argue that they try to refrain from the smack-talk much more so than the others. I don't think it's because they're on top, either. Once Yamauchi stepped down, Nintendo's main source of badmouthing left with him.

Around the Network
c0rd said:

I think that was a misunderstood quote. Iwata wasn't saying it'd be embarrassing for people to wear glasses. He was questioning whether everyone in the house would wear the glasses, and how the people without them would see the TV - it would not be 3D for them, so they'd be missing out on the experience.

When he says something along the lines of "3D won't work," he just means it won't be enough of a draw to be worth implementing in, say, the Wii. If the 3DS really is only a DS in 3D, people have every right to be unimpressed, and I doubt people would be that offended if Sony or Apple commented on such a thing, as Nintendo execs said the same about 3D themselves. Personally, I'm expecting more than just a DS with 3D visuals.

You'll often hear Nintendo execs say stuff like, "I don't think the consumer is interested in online play." That obviously doesn't mean they think it's worthless, but generally they're trying see things from the majority's perspective, and it may sound bizarre sometimes because they include both gamers and non-gamers (as they're targeting everyone, while the other companies focus primarily on current customers).

If you want examples of trash talk, it'd be when they actually take jabs at each other, like so:

Hirai on MS: “You need a word that describes something that lacks longevity. Last time I checked, they’ve never had a console that’s been on the market for more than four or five years and we’ve committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math.”

Greenberg on the Wii: "They’re buying it, it’s like something they break out when people come over, and it’s maybe a fun thing, but it’s almost like the same people that buy a karaoke machine, you know? They’re not really buying it for games, they’re just buying it as a novelty."

Reggie on Apple: "If our games represent a range between snacks of entertainment and full meals depending on the type of game, [Apple's] aren't even a mouthful, in terms of the gaming experience you get."

As for Nintendo not being perfect, that's obvious, but I'd definitely argue that they try to refrain from the smack-talk much more so than the others. I don't think it's because they're on top, either. Once Yamauchi stepped down, Nintendo's main source of badmouthing left with him.

Well at least you got my main point though, which was that Nintendo, as a business, isn't perfect. They may be better than the others in regard's to trash talking, but they aren't completely guiltless when it come's to dirty PR.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

STEKSTAV said:
hsrob said:
STEKSTAV said:
hsrob said:
STEKSTAV said:
Sempuukyaku said:
jneul said:
when they said apple was their new enemy and the sony-ninty battle was over, i think they are getting a bit big headed and need to be careful..

That quote was NEVER UTTERED...EVER. Unless you have a real verifiable QUOTE from anyone at Nintendo saying that, this needs to be thrown into the trash. 

Nintendo is feeling pretty confident about their current position in the market, with the report noting that Iwata feels as if the "battle with Sony" is a "victory already won," and that Apple is the one that should now be treated as the "enemy of the future."

This is not a veriable quote, what's the source?  The only 'source' that I have seen for this says something like "it is reported Iwata said...........".

I don't personally care whether he said it or not but, for the sake of accuracy, if we are going to start flaming certain people for trash talking and being arrogant etc. a proper quote and source would be nice.

You can google "battle with sony is over" - or "apple enemy of the future".

And they can all be traced back to one or two articles saying, "it is reported that Iwata said......".  It's not phrased this way accidentally, it's phrased this way because no one actually heard Iwata saying these things and they know if they claim he did they can get in trouble.

It didn't happen na na na na na na na nan a nan an an

Talk about totally missing the point.