By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HD DVD sales hit 750,000

dabaus513 said:
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=10890 According to the source used there blu ray 66% compared to 34 hddvd. Closing the gap my ass.

Fans from both sides have the predicament of contradicting themselves when it comes to hd format wars + console wars. My god has this shit been beaten to death over and over.

On one side Sony fans are saying why should Toshiba waste their time with hddvd, its a losing format, AND the PS3 isnt failing and its selling lots of software given its smaller user base.  

Yet on the other end why should Sony waste their time on ps3, its a losing console, and HDDVD is selling very well given its smaller user base. 

In hddvd's defense, given the 6 MILLION PS3's plus 400K(?)  Blu-ray standalones vs 750K hddvd stand alones + xbox hddvd add-ons combined, doesnt a 66:34 ratio look pretty damn GOOD for hddvd? Do hddvd owners just buy more movies?

One thing Ive wanted to hear peoples thoughts on, that was brought up in another forum, is why 2 hd formats couldnt survive side by side. "It works for consoles, shouldnt it work for movies?" I dont personally believe this would work myself, since movie studios dont have hardware sales they need to stand behind. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network

IMO, Toshiba only needs to keep the race equal for a couple of years.

Microsoft and Nintendo will have to decide which high-capacity format will they use in their next consoles, and i think MS is leaning more towards HD-DVD, while Nin doesn't care too much, they would most likely develop some hard-to pirate format now that they have lots of money.

Also a big thing is which format is going to be morre popular on PC (as a storage solution), so i think the race is far from over, and Toshiba knows that money they waste now could gain them muuuch more income in the years to come.

ssj12 said:
solidarii said:
dabaus513 said:
Guess what? Sony has sold 6.3 million ps3's not to mention however many stand alone blue ray players. No one cares toshiba, just throw the towel in already. The future is blu and theres nothing you can do about it except delay the inevitable.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Sony is going to get destroyed in the end. PS3s do NOT count toward standalone players. HD-DVD has more standalone players and has been closing the gap on software sales at a steady pace. Sony made another bad decision of trying to bring a more expensive, less efficient, less complete, inferior format that will lose just like all the other formats they have tried to sell in the past. Sony fanboys have to face the facts, Nintendo is destroying them and they will eventually lose the HD war, cuz if HD-DVD doesn't win some other format better than both will come along and win. Either way, Blu-crap is an incomplete format with less features, nothing better and higher cost...

yep all their formats failed

looks at my CD collection, yep CDs failed horribly.

Thats nice but CD technology was created by Phillips. They teamed up with Sony to make an industry standard. Like Toshiba did with HD-DVD and Sony did previously with DVD. The same DVD consortium Sony was part of chose HD-DVD as the next standard. Sony decided they wanted all of the pie and created Blu-Ray. 

leo-j said:
I dont get why toshiba is wasting so much money.

Wow, just when I thought your posts were getting better Leo! Anyways you do realize that Sony.....you know what, forget it.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

WOW WOW WOW

philips has way more to do on the CD format than Sony... Sony was just the financial support....

(sorry the French pride had to come out on that one lol)

and that's funny... I'm 25 years old... I might have bought 10 CDs in my entire life lol.... 

once again I don't believe in either format... I think the CD dvd HD dvd blu ray... well everything on a circle is a total crap obsolete format that can be scratched, that doesn't last long enough without an extreme care and don't have an interesting storage cpacity... come on even 200Go it's a crap volume of information now a days....

I want a compact long lasting high capacity format... and when I say high capacity I'm talking in tera not giga....  and not something on a circle that takes more room with a boxs than my HD... and that I can't shove in my pocket without risking to damage it... my opinion all of those format are plain crap....

and to the guys saying PS3 to back you up... it's crap too... 1st a shit load of people don't have HD tvs... second a shit load of people don't even know what is BR and even some don't know it's on PS3, third like said it's the losing console even if it's 6 milion it's not good for the market.. and 6 milion for a format it's like saying there is a lot of inhabitant in luxembourg.... come on it's not even half a drop in a bucket anyway...

Around the Network
leo-j said:
solidarii said:
leo-j said:
solidarii said:
dabaus513 said:
Guess what? Sony has sold 6.3 million ps3's not to mention however many stand alone blue ray players. No one cares toshiba, just throw the towel in already. The future is blu and theres nothing you can do about it except delay the inevitable.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Sony is going to get destroyed in the end. PS3s do NOT count toward standalone players. HD-DVD has more standalone players and has been closing the gap on software sales at a steady pace. Sony made another bad decision of trying to bring a more expensive, less efficient, less complete, inferior format that will lose just like all the other formats they have tried to sell in the past. Sony fanboys have to face the facts, Nintendo is destroying them and they will eventually lose the HD war, cuz if HD-DVD doesn't win some other format better than both will come along and win. Either way, Blu-crap is an incomplete format with less features, nothing better and higher cost...

Lol inferrior? Blu-ray is more advanced than HD DVD, blu-ray is capable of 200gigs of data . You know whats funny? Its 750k vs 7 million.

Blu-ray is selling more and more software.

First of all, amount of space it can hold has nothing to do with whether or not it is inferior. Second of all, the current discs only hold 50 gb and they are not even close to getting to 100, let alone getting to 200. The fact is that the HD-DVD players have more features at a cheaper price...

Why do you argue, the PS3 is all I need to back me up.

Except most PS3 owners don't even know about the Blu Ray player inside their box?  Or that the PS3 has HD output?  Sony expected to outright destroy HD DVD and yet both formats are still succeeding. Although both have had lower then expected sales... 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

friedtofu said:
dabaus513 said:
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=10890 According to the source used there blu ray 66% compared to 34 hddvd. Closing the gap my ass.

Fans from both sides have the predicament of contradicting themselves when it comes to hd format wars + console wars. My god has this shit been beaten to death over and over.

On one side Sony fans are saying why should Toshiba waste their time with hddvd, its a losing format, AND the PS3 isnt failing and its selling lots of software given its smaller user base.  

Yet on the other end why should Sony waste their time on ps3, its a losing console, and HDDVD is selling very well given its smaller user base. 

In hddvd's defense, given the 6 MILLION PS3's plus 400K(?)  Blu-ray standalones vs 750K hddvd stand alones + xbox hddvd add-ons combined, doesnt a 66:34 ratio look pretty damn GOOD for hddvd? Do hddvd owners just buy more movies?

One thing Ive wanted to hear peoples thoughts on, that was brought up in another forum, is why 2 hd formats couldnt survive side by side. "It works for consoles, shouldnt it work for movies?" I dont personally believe this would work myself, since movie studios dont have hardware sales they need to stand behind. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

/bump

edit:  just realised a bit an error in the above. I believe the article is america only so the proper comparision is

HD-DVD: 750k

Blu-ray:2.61million ps3s plus stand alone (not 6 million ps3 since that's WW)

either way blu-ray really ought to have a larger market share than 66:34 since the player ratio is 78:22 minimum, i took blu-ray standalone to be zero since i don't know what the number is. 

kitler53 said:
friedtofu said:
dabaus513 said:

In hddvd's defense, given the 6 MILLION PS3's plus 400K(?) Blu-ray standalones vs 750K hddvd stand alones + xbox hddvd add-ons combined, doesnt a 66:34 ratio look pretty damn GOOD for hddvd? Do hddvd owners just buy more movies?

/bump

Smaller studios would have a smaller market to sell to as they'd have to choose sides. Larger companies would be unaffected but then would still need to look at the demographics and decide how many units they need for each system.  It's not as easy as it is with a console.  Games sell for ridiculous amounts of money to make up for this problem. If there was just 1 console, software prices could be lower due to the software makers having a larger market with their product, also the competition moves from the hardware side to software which in the end would drive down costs for the end user.  Movie prices will stay inflated if a 2 player market emerges from this battle.  However, I'm still way more inclined to believe that digital distribution makes more sense.  Maybe not exactly right now as most service providers don't have the bandwidth to support it, but it is coming and it'll be here sooner then later.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

endimion said:

WOW WOW WOW

philips has way more to do on the CD format than Sony... Sony was just the financial support....

(sorry the French pride had to come out on that one lol)

and that's funny... I'm 25 years old... I might have bought 10 CDs in my entire life lol.... 

once again I don't believe in either format... I think the CD dvd HD dvd blu ray... well everything on a circle is a total crap obsolete format that can be scratched, that doesn't last long enough without an extreme care and don't have an interesting storage cpacity... come on even 200Go it's a crap volume of information now a days....

I want a compact long lasting high capacity format... and when I say high capacity I'm talking in tera not giga....  and not something on a circle that takes more room with a boxs than my HD... and that I can't shove in my pocket without risking to damage it... my opinion all of those format are plain crap....

and to the guys saying PS3 to back you up... it's crap too... 1st a shit load of people don't have HD tvs... second a shit load of people don't even know what is BR and even some don't know it's on PS3, third like said it's the losing console even if it's 6 milion it's not good for the market.. and 6 milion for a format it's like saying there is a lot of inhabitant in luxembourg.... come on it's not even half a drop in a bucket anyway...

I'm really sorry to destroy your party but Philips is Dutch... And NOT French...

U French are Chauvinists!

THE NETHERLANDS

I really dont understand why you are all so passionate about something as unimportant as a digital data storage medium. It sounds like you are all fighting over a girl or something.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.