By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HD DVD sales hit 750,000

HD DVD Surpasses 750,000 Dedicated Players

Promotional Group announces record HD DVD hardware sales following Black Friday

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 27 -- Following landmark Black Friday promotions through major retail chains, the North American HD DVD Promotional Group today announced that sales of dedicated HD DVD players exceeded the 750,000 mark. The data is based on retailer reports and other point of sale data, and includes standalone set-top players as well as the Xbox 360 HD DVD player.

"HD DVD continues to gain momentum and market share with consumers," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group. "With more than four weeks left for holiday shopping, HD DVD is turning out to be a perfect consumer electronics gift."

HD DVD continues to step up marketing and education efforts, helping consumers to see the quality and value of the new format. In addition to an enhanced presence at major retailers, HD DVD has added educational sections to its website at http://www.TheLookAndSoundOfPerfect.com.

Around the Network

I dont get why toshiba is wasting so much money.

mM
leo-j said:

Isn't Sony doing the same thing with the PS3, selling at a loss? I believe both sides admitted to a stalemate. Nobody is going to win anytime soon.

Both groups want market penetration. They have money to burn I guess.

leo-j said:

Ask Sony, they have a better understanding.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
IcingDeathWrath said:
HD DVD Surpasses 750,000 Dedicated Players

Promotional Group announces record HD DVD hardware sales following Black Friday

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 27 -- Following landmark Black Friday promotions through major retail chains, the North American HD DVD Promotional Group today announced that sales of dedicated HD DVD players exceeded the 750,000 mark. The data is based on retailer reports and other point of sale data, and includes standalone set-top players as well as the Xbox 360 HD DVD player.

"HD DVD continues to gain momentum and market share with consumers," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group. "With more than four weeks left for holiday shopping, HD DVD is turning out to be a perfect consumer electronics gift."

HD DVD continues to step up marketing and education efforts, helping consumers to see the quality and value of the new format. In addition to an enhanced presence at major retailers, HD DVD has added educational sections to its website at http://www.TheLookAndSoundOfPerfect.com.

oh i guess www.thelookandsoudoffailure.com has been cyber-squated. 

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

Awesome, I really hope HD DVD wins this format war or at least doesn't get defeated.

PC Gamer
Ickalanda said:
Awesome, I really hope HD DVD wins this format war or at least doesn't get defeated.

That's a bad dog to bet on ickalanda

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

leo-j said:

The reason why they are investing so much money now is because if they were to win the format war than they could tap into the $50 billion plus market that the dvd market is currently valued at. Which is basically significantly larger than the gaming market.

Guess what? Sony has sold 6.3 million ps3's not to mention however many stand alone blue ray players. No one cares toshiba, just throw the towel in already. The future is blu and theres nothing you can do about it except delay the inevitable.