By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Super Smash Bros a Platformer or Fighting Game?

It's a fighting game and a damn good one too!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Its a fantastic fighting game..And the best selling one of all time..isn't it?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

its a fighting game but they call it a brawler
I imagine because of the 4 vs

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10

Its a fighter. As Ghost mentioned it uses multiple ways to determine victory, but the net result is a fighting game.

As far as the platforming, there needs to be some clarification/understanding of meanings.

Platforms/Platforming are a set of elements and mechanics that pertain to conveyance throughout the game world. Some games dumb down the platform elements as a way to simply move from one objective to another or one battle scene to the other. Ratchet and Clank is a good example of this.

Now for a game to be considered a platformer, it has to be a game solely about getting from point A to point B. The puzzles, obstacles, level design, physics, and character abilities/controls are all designed and fitted to create a game about going form A to B. Using the example of a car... games can have cars, but not all games are racing games. Games can have platforms, but not all games are platformers. Mario, Mega Man, 'splosion man, N+ and LBP are examples of platformers.

With that in mind Brawl cannot be considered a platformer. The Emissary may have some minute dumbed down platforming elements, but the character controls are not re-tuned for that kind of game and the results are the floaty and honestly terrible moments between battles. They same can be said for the physics which dont offer themselves for a platformer experience. The game has no puzzles or obstacles.

Considering Brawl to be a platformer would be like calling GTA a racing game.

Sorry for the length, i can be passionate about platformers

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

The Ghost of RubangB said:
scottie said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
It's a fighting game. It uses ring-out rules, like sumo wrestling. And if that bothers you for some reason, you can change it to use regular hit points like Street Fighter or whatever. So it can be a regular fighter if it wants to be, but its default setting is to be far superior.

I think either you misintrepreted the OP or I did.

I think he is saying that the Subspace Emissary mode has more in common with a platformer than a fighter, and thus we could possibly consider SSB:B to be a platformer

I think we can consider the Subspace Emissary a platforming game within a fighting game.  But even the Subspace Emissary turns into a tournament fighter for the boss battles.  Every mode in Brawl has fighting.  Not every mode has platforming.  Calling Brawl a platformer is like calling Final Fantasy 7 a snowboarding game or calling No More Heroes 2 a cooking game.

The only reason to call Brawl a platformer is to pretend that Nintendo didn't make the best selling fighting game of all time.

As other people pointed out, Street Fighter 2 says otherwise.

So no. This isn't one of those attempts to try dethrone Nintendo from something. Nintendo are still trying to dethrone Capcom.

OT:
It has "Brawl" in the title, you have to fight (punch, kick, attack) enemies to win fights. It's a fighting game.

Around the Network

Fighting game mainly, with Platforming traits.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

koyotecat said:
It's a fighting game, with platforming element's. But it is first and foremost a fighter.

Brawl FC: 0473 - 7465 - 0612

Since it's on the Wii, it's a fighter.

If it was on the PS3 it would be called a platformer so people could put it on their best platformers on the PS3 list.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Tekken, Soul Caliber, Mortal Combat and Street Fighter have all had Brawler Modes. If Smash Brothers is a platformer because it has a platforming mode then by that logical all previously mentioned games aren't fighting games. They're Brawlers.

amp316 said:
Since it's on the Wii, it's a fighter.

If it was on the PS3 it would be called a platformer so people could put it on their best platformers on the PS3 list.

Excellent point.

It wouldn't get a place in the top 5 fighters on PS3.