By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Does it again... Three Weeks Running (In Japan)

Zucas said:
DMeisterJ- that is because I've only added those systems yet. I still need to add my Xbox games. That would add to my diversity.

But just to comment on that, by what games I own doesn't make me bias. As sales has nothing to do with preference, as sales is based off factual information. Meaning I can apsolutely love one console and see another one winning. As long as you do it unbiasedly then you can allow that to happen. Something I have been doing and will continue to do. That's why last generation I could love the GC and still say PS2 was going to win. And that's why I can love the Wii this generation, and still debate if it'll be able to win. If you think I'm a fanboy, then you are allowed to your opinions, but I consider myself more along the lines of ioi, I tend to be more towards one side at heart, but able to seperate my likes and sales.

Something I really doubt you could do, cause first of all its apparent you are either a Sony fan or anti-Nintendo. I really don't know. And it really doesn't matter to me. Secondly its even more apparent that you really know nothing about sales and the market, or otherwise you would be posting like I do that takes into account all sides and come out with a conclusion. Personally I don't know you so you could totally surprise me, but just by reading your posts and here so far, I doubt you do what I do.

Explain to you the last sentence? I decline to.

Or someone who looks at the numbers and when it's been a year of hearing about the Wii doing this and that and it losing in Japan, at least for the last three weeks, makes me happy for anyone who had to endure these forums when sony was losing.  If you were here at that time, you'd know what I mean.  Ok, I know nothing about sales and market?  Whatever you think...  And why can't you explain the last sentence?  Is it because it didn't make sense?

If you are not a fanboy, then why doubt the numbers?  Nothing was wrong with the numbers when Nintendo was winning but now that there was a 15k diff in sales, and it wasn't for Nintendo, time to say that MC is where you'll believe your numbers.  That's what made me KNOW that you are a fanboy.

Around the Network
weezy said:
I know PSP sold more than Wii (it's a good thing PSP is a superb product) but if you look at the big picture. Its like this..

The DS sold,in 1 week, almost a million more than its competitor?
If you were head of Nintendo you would be estatic with these numbers.

1.3 Million DS vs. 350k PSP
600k Wii vs. 300k PS3 or 360

Not to mention Nintendo acually profits off of hardware.

Now who knows Nintendo could have a big drop off in sales this 2008 because the sales were so high in 07.

Off topic.
I think a week B4 Christmas i'm gonna try and well my Wii for $600+
:)

Ah finally someone with some really valid and unbias points.  I really do agree that PSP is very undershadowed.  Its a great system, and is doing amazing in sales considering the situations.  People never give the PSP enough credit.  The rest is just a nice factual comparison.  Great job.  Need more people like this. 

Bladeneo said:

In all fairness, Sony placing excess amount of money into the PS3 can hardly be considered a desperate measure. Like PS-She said, its an investment, or building on the already existing investment.

Would Sony have liked to avoid doing so? Of course, but their sales weren't TERRIBLE by any means, lower than the competition but thats what you have to expect with the troubles of coming a year after the 360.

Besides, if youre going to call that a desperate move by sony, then theoretically Microsoft giving everyone 3 year warranty could be construed as desperate, but they were hardly in a bad situation at the time...

EDIT: Post didnt make sense, does now. 

Booyah!  Wow, that made soooo much sense. 

+1

DMeisterJ said:
Zucas said:
DMeisterJ- that is because I've only added those systems yet. I still need to add my Xbox games. That would add to my diversity.

But just to comment on that, by what games I own doesn't make me bias. As sales has nothing to do with preference, as sales is based off factual information. Meaning I can apsolutely love one console and see another one winning. As long as you do it unbiasedly then you can allow that to happen. Something I have been doing and will continue to do. That's why last generation I could love the GC and still say PS2 was going to win. And that's why I can love the Wii this generation, and still debate if it'll be able to win. If you think I'm a fanboy, then you are allowed to your opinions, but I consider myself more along the lines of ioi, I tend to be more towards one side at heart, but able to seperate my likes and sales.

Something I really doubt you could do, cause first of all its apparent you are either a Sony fan or anti-Nintendo. I really don't know. And it really doesn't matter to me. Secondly its even more apparent that you really know nothing about sales and the market, or otherwise you would be posting like I do that takes into account all sides and come out with a conclusion. Personally I don't know you so you could totally surprise me, but just by reading your posts and here so far, I doubt you do what I do.

Or someone who looks at the numbers and when it's been a year of hearing about the Wii doing this and that and it losing in Japan, at least for the last three weeks, makes me happy for anyone who had to endure these forums when sony was losing. If you were here at that time, you'd know what I mean. Ok, I know nothing about sales and market? Whatever you think... And why can't you explain the last sentence? Is it because it didn't make sense?

If you are not a fanboy, then why doubt the numbers? Nothing was wrong with the numbers when Nintendo was winning but now that there was a 15k diff in sales, and it wasn't for Nintendo, time to say that MC is where you'll believe your numbers. That's what made me KNOW that you are a fanboy.

And I stated I was happy for the PS3.  I complained nothing about the PS3, but the site's using of which numbers.  

I didn't think doubting nuymbers made me a fanboy.  I've doubted 360 numbers in Europe for quite awhile.  No one called me a fanboy for that.  I've doubted Wii numbers before.  No one called me a fanboy on ehtat.  I've stated numerous times of overtracking or undertracking for all 3 in both scenarios.  Yet its this time that I'm called a fanboy.  Now why is that.  You've never called me out on this before, nor did you probably care.  But as soon as it goes PS3's way and your here to notice it I've obviously turned on some flames within you.  Doubting numbers here doesn't make me a fanboy.  You and many others have said it yourself, that its all estimates anyways, meaning isn't it debateable in the first place.  Your arguement has noticeable flaws.

And now you know I"m a Nintendo fanboy.  Well how about you check back on all my posts were I stand up to Nintenod fanboys them self in their predictions for Wii telling them they are either ludacris or impossible.  I post the voice of reason here through my analysis of the market.  Those are and always will be based off my own study, not off bias.  Something you will refuse to believe, as if you do you'll concede this arguement. 

PS-She said: It's called an investment.

And a risky one. I'm betting your nick you wouldn't use that word to describe the original Xbox. Gee, I wonder why! We'll see whether the entire PS3 operation will ever be a net win for the game division, after all is said and done. It's just not good enough to have the good old PS2 paying your R&D with the entirety of it's 7+ year profits, you know?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
PS-She said:
KruzeS said:
DMeisterJ said: Delusional much?

So you don't think dropping the price of a console you initially started selling at a loss, by 20-30% (depending on how and where you look) within less than one year isn't desperate measures in desperate times? You also don't think that going way over your projected, already huge, losses for the fiscal year in an effort to remain relevant is desperate?

Kudos for Sony, as it's somewhat working - in Japan, and in Europe at least - but at a huge cost. Fortunately the PS2 also helps. And fortunately the rest of the company is doing OK. But this still can't go on for much longer.

It's called an investment.

No actually it's called desperation.  Would Sony have dropped the price if it was selling well?  No.  they had to drop the price cause they realised they were going to get completely slaughtered in sales and their only hope in staying even remotely relevant in the console war was to drop price. 

Bladeneo said:

In all fairness, Sony placing excess amount of money into the PS3 can hardly be considered a desperate measure. Like PS-She said, its an investment, or building on the already existing investment.

Would Sony have liked to avoid doing so? Of course, but their sales weren't TERRIBLE by any means, lower than the competition but thats what you have to expect with the troubles of coming a year after the 360.

Besides, if youre going to call that a desperate move by sony, then theoretically Microsoft giving everyone 3 year warranty could be construed as desperate, but they were hardly in a bad situation at the time...

By your logic everyone should be floating there own stocks.  I don't see Nintendo floating stocks right now.  I don't see MS floating stocks right now.  I don't see Apple floating stocks right now with their dominance in the MP3 player market.  

Now your MS desperate move wasn't really a good example.  I think a better example would have been to state their early release in 2005 and there channel stuffing in late 2006.  Those would be considered desperate moves on there part.

Nintendo hasn't really made any deseperate moves as of late.  Such with the Wii and DS there would be no point to.  Why risk it with no reason.  But wiht the GC they needed to make desperate moves, something they just didn't do.  Probalby why they lost as harshly as they did.   

Zucas said:
DMeisterJ said:
Zucas said:

Or someone who looks at the numbers and when it's been a year of hearing about the Wii doing this and that and it losing in Japan, at least for the last three weeks, makes me happy for anyone who had to endure these forums when sony was losing. If you were here at that time, you'd know what I mean. Ok, I know nothing about sales and market? Whatever you think... And why can't you explain the last sentence? Is it because it didn't make sense?

If you are not a fanboy, then why doubt the numbers? Nothing was wrong with the numbers when Nintendo was winning but now that there was a 15k diff in sales, and it wasn't for Nintendo, time to say that MC is where you'll believe your numbers. That's what made me KNOW that you are a fanboy.

And I stated I was happy for the PS3.  I complained nothing about the PS3, but the site's using of which numbers.  

I didn't think doubting nuymbers made me a fanboy.  I've doubted 360 numbers in Europe for quite awhile.  No one called me a fanboy for that.  I've doubted Wii numbers before.  No one called me a fanboy on ehtat.  I've stated numerous times of overtracking or undertracking for all 3 in both scenarios.  Yet its this time that I'm called a fanboy.  Now why is that.  You've never called me out on this before, nor did you probably care.  But as soon as it goes PS3's way and your here to notice it I've obviously turned on some flames within you.  Doubting numbers here doesn't make me a fanboy.  You and many others have said it yourself, that its all estimates anyways, meaning isn't it debateable in the first place.  Your arguement has noticeable flaws.

And now you know I"m a Nintendo fanboy.  Well how about you check back on all my posts were I stand up to Nintenod fanboys them self in their predictions for Wii telling them they are either ludacris or impossible.  I post the voice of reason here through my analysis of the market.  Those are and always will be based off my own study, not off bias.  Something you will refuse to believe, as if you do you'll concede this arguement. 

Sorry, this is 2007.  I don't have time to sift through 629 posts to find your supposed "standing up to Nintendo fanboys".  Anyway, your analysis of the market/voice of reason wouldn't be the same voice that doubted the VGC numbers would it.  But if you want to believe you're not a fanboy, then so be it, you are not a fanboy..........................................................................................................................................................................

even though hyou are.

My argument has no flaws, and is backed up by evidence (As seen on your profile) that you are a nintendo fan.  Thank you.

etuoyo said:
PS-She said:
KruzeS said:
DMeisterJ said: Delusional much?

So you don't think dropping the price of a console you initially started selling at a loss, by 20-30% (depending on how and where you look) within less than one year isn't desperate measures in desperate times? You also don't think that going way over your projected, already huge, losses for the fiscal year in an effort to remain relevant is desperate?

Kudos for Sony, as it's somewhat working - in Japan, and in Europe at least - but at a huge cost. Fortunately the PS2 also helps. And fortunately the rest of the company is doing OK. But this still can't go on for much longer.

It's called an investment.

No actually it's called desperation.  Would Sony have dropped the price if it was selling well?  No.  they had to drop the price cause they realised they were going to get completely slaughtered in sales and their only hope in staying even remotely relevant in the console war was to drop price. 

No one said it was selling good.  The price drop was to get more people to own the game so that games could do better on their (i.e. sell more) that would mean more money, and helping out the bottom line.  I heard this quote somewher that applies her perfectly.  "You sell the razors low, so people have to keep coming back to buy the blades" or some variation thereof.  Anyway, it just means that the price drop was to get people to buy the PS3 so they could buy games on it, making up for the loss of the price drop that way.

Zucas said:
Bladeneo said:

By your logic everyone should be floating there own stocks. I don't see Nintendo floating stocks right now. I don't see MS floating stocks right now. I don't see Apple floating stocks right now with their dominance in the MP3 player market.

Now your MS desperate move wasn't really a good example. I think a better example would have been to state their early release in 2005 and there channel stuffing in late 2006. Those would be considered desperate moves on there part.

Nintendo hasn't really made any deseperate moves as of late. Such with the Wii and DS there would be no point to. Why risk it with no reason. But wiht the GC they needed to make desperate moves, something they just didn't do. Probalby why they lost as harshly as they did.

My Microsoft example was perfect; they lost $1 billion by doing what they did, thats alot of money to throw away. Where does my logic suggest everyone should be floating 'there' own stocks? I said that Sony would rather have avoided doing so, but they did it because they saw it was the right time to do so, and it worked. I don't think for one minute Sony sat there and thought "It's now or never", they saw a chance to increase sales and they did just that. 

I don't even know why youre talking about nintendo making desperate moves, I've not mentioned them once.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey.