By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Does it again... Three Weeks Running (In Japan)

DMeister- your arguement is full of flaws. From what I've read on here about you it seems you do this thing all the time. A persona defense arguement arises from you a lot. LIke a certain necessity to protect something.

You don't have to sift through 629 posts. I'm not asking you to believe me cuase I know even given the proof you wouldn't haha. I just might as well give my side of the story before I go.

And as I go I'll state once again congrats on PS3. Come a long way since late 2006.

Around the Network

@ Zucas

No, I only do this when people say things that aren't true about me. Don't try to psychoanalyze me or anything like that professor. I have given proof to my argument. Good, I'm glad you congratulated the PS3... It deserves it.

DMeisterJ said:

I wouldn't say it like that.  It was very drastic and daring but desperate makes it seem like there aren't any other reasons to not purchase a PS3 because of price.  I do think it helped but quality games could have done the same thing.  Both of those mixed however, would be awesome.

Projecting a $500m loss is daring. Burning through it in one quarter is frightening. Burning through twice as much in two quarters in an attempt to stay relevant is desperate.

If your boss told you he had run out of money to pay you by April, would you stick with him till December because you think the company holds great promise? What if he then proceded to ask you for a loan to keep the company afloat? What would it take for you to stay, and when would you just decide to simply cut your losses?

I know this is a bad analogy, but you can't really qualify this simply as a bold decision.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

@ KruzeS

That is a horrible analogy, and who knows what the next four months hold for the PS3 in terms of sales and releases before we say they lost 1 billion in a year.

@ zucas

I have to disagree with you on one thing. I think GT5: Prologue is a MUCH bigger title than PES. It should do near 500k!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:

That is a horrible analogy, and who knows what the next four months hold for the PS3 in terms of sales and releases before we say they lost 1 billion in a year.

I know, I said so myself.

But, let me get this straight, you're assuming the PS3 is being sold at a healthy profit right now? And if you aren't, how else are they supposed to make a profit the following 2 quarters, when they haven't before? Are there significantly more games being sold per console?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
eugene said:
Microsoft should just start giving units away for free in Japan!

That is what it will take for MS to move anything in Japan. Despite all those millions, Japan still reject them. 3rd parties are doing the job for Sony.

That is the difference.

The only way Microsoft can stop Sony in Japan is get Final Fantasy XIII switched to 360 exclusive, short of that, nothing will EVER help more then a 1 week temp boost before going right back to suckage sales.

outlawauron said:
@ zucas

I have to disagree with you on one thing. I think GT5: Prologue is a MUCH bigger title than PES. It should do near 500k!

I agree that GT5 Prologue is bigger but only due to the fact theres no comparable PS2 version to compete with it. I'm not sure about 500,000, but I do imagine it'll have a big first week. Can't imagine it having the strongest legs...the actual GT5 will have a mammoth first few weeks.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

KruzeS said:
DMeisterJ said:

I know, I said so myself.

But, let me get this straight, you're assuming the PS3 is being sold at a healthy profit right now? And if you aren't, how else are they supposed to make a profit the following 2 quarters, when they haven't before? Are there significantly more games being sold per console?

No, I just think that it has been doing better since the beginning of the year due to the price drops and what not, but I do believe that they could have a good first quarter if some PS3 exclusive games come out (no, I'm not going to list.... thank god), they could have a strong fiscal q4.  I just don't want to judge yet.  But they definetly will post a loss

RolStoppable said:
In my opinion Sony made desperate moves.

Projected loss for SCE during fiscal year 2007: about $500 million.
Actual loss of SCE after two quarters in fiscal year 2007: about $1 billion.

40GB and price drop were introduced after Q2, so expect additional (big) losses for SCE in Q3.

SCE has absolutely no chance to meet their initial goal for fiscal year 2007. The PS3 was in a difficult position and the price drops and introductions of new models were desperate moves to keep the PS3 alive and a viable platform for 2008 and beyond.

Sony made tough decisions and they made the correct decision. Take a loss now and have a chance to gain a market share or keep the high price, minimize losses and sell minimal consoles and lose major exclusives such as Tekken 6, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII to the 360.

No one can deny that Sony done the right thing for their business and they will not stop. They will drop the price again early next year right before MGS4 release. They will put the acid on, they have no option.

I wouldn't mind betting that Sony will accept losses on the PS3 and attempt to make them back with the PS4 but they need a market share. They don't have the hugh selling 1st party games of Nintendo therefore they need to keep Square Enix, Konami etc... support. That is why the price got dropped and why it will get dropped again. S-E tell Sony to drop the price, Sony will, simple as that.