By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Does it again... Three Weeks Running (In Japan)

^ That's all I wanted to say

Around the Network

Grey acumen said pretty much what I was going to say. This is a small drop in the bucket, and it's still getting stomped world wide.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The discussion on this thread has passed the point of ridiculous. I can't believe how hard it is for people to accept that the PS3 isn't going anywhere and can outsell the Wii during certain weeks. It's not like the sky is falling. Did Sony rape your dog or something? Jeesh.

VAMP said:
 Did Sony rape your dog or something? Jeesh.

No... But it did unspeakable things to my chicken!   But then again, I never could have imagined it being so delicious and juicy.  :)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Whew, these PS3 topics are sure busy nowadays! Seems like a lot of people WANT Sony to fail! Why?

Around the Network

The reactions to increasing ps3 sales are quite remarkable. I guess it's a natural reaction to something you are scared of or something you dislike. Only time will tell as to how the ps3 will do but god help us if and when the ps3 ever starts outselling the competition. I fear that the site would have to go into lockdown mode :)

Seriously people relax, Nintendo and Sony aren't going anywhere. I would think that considering that the wii has been outselling the ps3 all year the least that nintendo supporters should do is show some restraint. I'm not saying all nintendo supporters are haters just that some people can't help but whine when their favourite console gets outsold in one region for 3weeks out of 52 as it was in this instance in Japan.

Branko2166 said:

Seriously people relax, Nintendo and Sony aren't going anywhere. I would think that considering that the wii has been outselling the ps3 all year the least that nintendo supporters should do is show some restraint. I'm not saying all nintendo supporters are haters just that some people can't help but whine when their favourite console gets outsold in one region for 3weeks out of 52 as it was in this instance in Japan.

It's a little bit more complicated than that, Branko. When we first started hearing that PS3 weekly sales had passed Wii weekly sales in Japan, the raging Sony fanboys immediately launched into delusions of grandeur:

"PS3 Domination!"
"Turning of the Tide!"
"Wii fad is over!"

Which prompted Nintendo fanboys to start spinning the damage control machine:

"Wii is winning worldwide sales!"
"Japan is the smallest market!"
"It will take years for PS3 to catch up!"

And then we're off on the endless bickering cycle of the console wars again. *rollseyes* The truth, as always, lies somewhere in between. Wii fans can't admit that the PS3 really has shown strong Japanese sales since the price cut/new model introductions. Sony fans are rushing way too fast to proclaim victory, when it hasn't yet been shown that these sales can be sustained over the long haul. To find out if Sony can turn the Japanese market into a true battleground again, we'll really have to wait until after the holiday shopping period is over, and see where normal weekly sales stabilize for each system.

But since most Internet posters would rather hurl pithy insults back and forth... go ahead, have your fun.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla said:
Branko2166 said:

It's a little bit more complicated than that, Branko. When we first started hearing that PS3 weekly sales had passed Wii weekly sales in Japan, the raging Sony fanboys immediately launched into delusions of grandeur:

"PS3 Domination!"
"Turning of the Tide!"
"Wii fad is over!"

Which prompted Nintendo fanboys to start spinning the damage control machine:

"Wii is winning worldwide sales!"
"Japan is the smallest market!"
"It will take years for PS3 to catch up!"

And then we're off on the endless bickering cycle of the console wars again. *rollseyes* The truth, as always, lies somewhere in between. Wii fans can't admit that the PS3 really has shown strong Japanese sales since the price cut/new model introductions. Sony fans are rushing way too fast to proclaim victory, when it hasn't yet been shown that these sales can be sustained over the long haul. To find out if Sony can turn the Japanese market into a true battleground again, we'll really have to wait until after the holiday shopping period is over, and see where normal weekly sales stabilize for each system.

But since most Internet posters would rather hurl pithy insults back and forth... go ahead, have your fun.

I agree with what you say I personally wouldn't mind if both of the consoles got huge boosts in that region. I think Japan needs to stand up and really be counted. It's time it showed us some really serious sales that we all know it's capable of doing.

Great post Sullla. 

On another note (and I can't believe no one's done this yet): 

Vegeta, by how many units did the PS3 outsell the Wii this week?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

So much fighting...and why?

Beating the Wii in Japan 3 weeks in a row is an accomplishment for the PS3 and no one can take that away from them. After suffering embarrassment in comparisons for months on end PS3 is beginning to make progress.

The price is a little more affordable than before and they're capitalizing on these cuts with new models and offerings. There's nothing to be angry about.

We'll see if Sony can keep up the new momentum in Japan and if they do things may turn around for the system. It needed some life jolted into it for a long time and maybe this is happening now. Japan is still a very important market.

XBox 360 is most likely doomed for permanent 3rd place in Japan unless the other markets influence the developers' loyalties for an alternate platform. PS3 current efforts can offset that potential possibility by keeping up the good work in Japan.

Though in my opinion high price is repellant the one thing PS3 has going for itself over 360 is reliability and better craftsmanship. I rate that highly and this is the reason if you asked me which would I rate higher outside of a Nintendo system it would be the PS3.

They still have to work out their past of horrible business strategies and make inroads on profitting from the platform but this is a good start. Celebrate and enjoy. And let people celebrate and enjoy. This IS a feat with PS3 besting Wii in Japan.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!