By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developer says Used Games Sales worse then Piracy

How is the moral side any different compared to selling/buying a used car though? The manifacturer of the car doesn't get anything out of it, the person who bought the car doesn't buy a new car from that company (or another) and I might buy a new car from the same manifacturer, or from another, or buy something completely different. If I sell it through an used car dealer, the car dealer will make money out of it too.

And in that context video games ARE physical goods. You don't own the IP, the distribution rights and further associated rights. You are selling your legally acquired authorized copy of the game - you can neither legally sell stolen goods, not unauthorized copies of IP. Yes, properly preserved a game/music cd/movie dvd is a lot more durable than a lot of other physical goods - but that has no bearing on the right to resell them.

In the end though, the gaming industry will get it their way - we already have impossible to resell DRMed stuff on consoles and it isn't likely to stop at that stage. Then we'll know whether people would be willing to spend way more on games with no ability to resell, or whether there will be a handful of big games deemed worth keeping and worth the price out of the hundreds the industry gushes out.

And I do consider selling your game for change to some crummy 2nd hand dealer, who then resells it at almost full price to the next sucker a situation benefitial only to the dealer - there are better ways to sell and buy games. And not a bad thing if those $10 DLC discourage that situation, but then it also depends on how "bonus" this content is - or welcome to having a major part of the game/an unlock code for it as a DLC.

Around the Network

60 dollars is alot to pay for a game to begin with. If the reason for this price is to help offset the money that the used market eats up. A reasonable solution to combat this would be to offer the game as a digital download for the same price the used game market is charging. This would keep the price of the game higher longer because there would be less physical copies in the real world. It would also save on packaging and shipping.

JWS said:
60 dollars is alot to pay for a game to begin with. If the reason for this price is to help offset the money that the used market eats up. A reasonable solution to combat this would be to offer the game as a digital download for the same price the used game market is charging. This would keep the price of the game higher longer because there would be less physical copies in the real world. It would also save on packaging and shipping.

The problem with your idea this would undercut retailers which is not good business. (this is why often you can buy something cheaper anywhere but the original makers of a product) Yes, it a lot cheaper with digital download yet developers still need retailers like Gamestop to market their games. Thus it's a two edged sword.  Marketing is very expensive so developers would love the idea of going total digital download.

I totally disagree that morally buying a used game is the same as piracy which is stealing. Like some developer like Stardock has noted these people will steal/pirate anyhow so instead they reward those who buy their games with update /adding to the game. 

Now as far as developer view point they don't get any money for used sales nor piracy. They are more likely to compete with used copy sale than trying to get pirates in buying their game. At Gamestop used copies are usually just $5 less than a new.  Now EA is competing with those used game sales by offering online service to those who buy new.

Whether or not used game sales is right or wrong, I support EA in their decision. It's a smart business move and they have the right to handle their product in such a fashion. It'll make me think twice about prowling ebay for a used copy...at least for EA

Hopefully all the little extras will be announced upfront.

When are you people gonna realize that the gaming industry is our friend?

I'd rather want our money to end up in the publishers pockets who in turn will invest most if it back into even greater games, than in the pocket of GameStop and others who will have to spend the revenue on salaries and office space of game stores.

The used games market is not only bad for pubs and devs, it's also bad for us, the gamers.

Around the Network

@ Slimebeast. When will you realize that the used market is the gaming market's friend, without them, sales of both games and consoles would diminish...greatly. 

vlad321 said:
Soonerman said:
vlad321 said:
Soonerman said:
vlad321 said:

I don't see how my logic changed at all. It's just proving you that you are buying a digital copy, not a physical copy, and you cannot treat them the same way. Again, I want you to show me how you can perfectly make a copy of a Ferrari, until you can then you have very faulty logic. I would LOVE to see you copy the Ferrari and try to sell it. I'd be your first customer in fact.

Oh, I'm sorry. A digital copy is different from a physical copy. Guess what? To buy that digital copy you need a physical medium. But hey, I guess when I buy a car I'm not buying the engine that makes it run!!! I mean, isn't that "intellectual property?" Crap, I just realize the body of a car can be an intellectual property! I guess I don't own anything with a car!!!!

Great logic there. You're still not making your argument why I should not be able to resell my games. 

You are right, you can resell the CD, but not the content on the CD. Also that is absolutely false about how games are tied to the physical copy, there are plenty of games which are distributed over the internet without a CD or anything. Can you distribute a Ferrari over the internet? The engine is not "intellectual property" since it is not an idea but an actual item whose value is physical. If you want to copy the engine you can go right on ahead, but call me when you do.

Wow!! An engine is not an intellectual property. I don't know in what world you leave, but let me refresh to you the definition of intellectual property

[quote]Intellectual property (IP) is a term referring to a number of distinct types of creations of the mind for which property rights are recognised--and the corresponding fields of law.[1] Under intellectual property law, owners are granted certain exclusive rights to a variety of intangible assets, such as musical, literary, and artistic works; discoveries and inventions; and words, phrases, symbols, and designs. Common types of intellectual property include copyrightstrademarkspatentsindustrial design rights and trade secrets in some jurisdictions.

I'm tired of repeating myself to you. You have no concept of what can and cannot be sold. Look 2 posts above you. I already posted what the L-A-W says in regards to me selling something I bought. Notice how you keep using the word copy. This thread has never been about copying anything. It has been about reselling games. Learn english buddy.

Let me lay it down for you because you seem to be very confused here.

The engine is a patent, the mark Ferrari is a trademark, and the game on the CD is intellectual property. Huge differencces between all 3, ad they exist because everything is different. As I said, you have EVERY right to resell the DVD you bought from Gamestop, you have however no right to take credit for the IP that is on that DVD, so next time you want to resell your game, be sure to wipe the DVD clean.

Vlad...as usual, you fail, you are comparing apples to oranges and completely disregarding the crux of the issue here, the markets for ANYTHING used, be it physical property, intellectual property, all of it, are interchangeable. The used game market is helpful to the gaming industry in the same way that the used car market is helpful to the car market. You can talk about product differences all you want, but it's a straw man argument...and not a very good one at that. 

Tanstalas said:
ironman said:
Tanstalas said:

@ironman - By you trading in those 3 games, it means that they potentially lose the sale of those 3 games to someone else that would have to buy it new if your used copy wasn't for sale

No, not at all, if a person is buying a used game it is generally because they cannot afford a new one, I tell you one thing,without the used market, new game sales as well as console sales would quite literally plummet. Less money is freed up for those wanting to invest in new games, and those who can only afford used games will not be gaming at all. It's a no win situation for everybody. 

@ - Explain this to me?  If there are no used games then no one would buy new games?  It may mean the USED gaming market would fail to exist, but the same people who ARE BUYING NEW GAMES NOW THAT CONTRIBUTE TO INCOME TO THE DEVELOPER AND PUBLISHER WOULD STILL BUY THOSE GAMES If someone is only buying used games, how does that affected new game sales?  I personally know no one (you may who knows) that has ever said "Hey I think I will go spend $300 on a console then only buy used games"

If there are no used games, less people will buy games that are questionable because they know they cannot recoup some of their losses should they not enjoy the game. Also, those with several games that they can stand to be without in order to raise funds to purchase a new game will be unable to do so. Just these two scenerios alone would greatly diminish the gaming market, they would also dump the console market because really, who want's to buy a console if they can;t get the games for it??? I personally don't know anybody who has never purchased a used item of any kind because it's not giving the manufacturer money directly. Anybody with even a miniscule grasp of economics knows that the used market is what keeps the knew market flowing.  

@-If they can't afford a new game, how did they afford a $300 console?  Hey here is an idea, instead of buying 2 games for $30 apiece just buy 1 at $60.  And really, this might be better for certain companies..  If you are too broke to buy new games, to which the console maker gets a cut for (which is why they sell the consoles for a loss in the first place) then the console maker would probably prefer you not to buy their console, since they are selling it for a loss hoping to make it back on software sales :D

If they can;t afford a game, or don;t want to buy it because they know they won't be able to sell it and recoup some of their losses, what are they doing buying a $300.00 console? Hey, here's an idea, why not get two games at thirty, giving you a reason to purchase a console and free up somebody else's money so they can buy the game that they otherwise would not have purchased? That way, you don't buy a game you didn't want, and you got two games you did, while the other person got the game they did want, and got rid of two they didn't. Now, you do make a good point here, and that is that yes, people who cannot afford/are not too sure about new games should not and will not purchase a console, which is really bad for devs and console makers alike since a person without console is not likely to buy a game, new or used. So I think console makers would prefer that you go ahead and buy that used game (all except Sony at the moment...after all, the other two are pulling a profit at the moment are they not?)  

@ - And I think you miss the point of what the developers are trying to do, they aren't saying if you buy a used game you won't be able to play it, they are saying if you buy a used game, expect to pay $10 to get a code to play it.  

That's theft, why should the devs get money for a single copy of a game, this will kill the used market and rentals and will hurt the gaming industry as a whole.

Ok as well... back in the days of Nintendo there wern't as many used game shops as there were now, and adjusting for inflation a NES game would cost A LOT more than a new PS3/360/wii game does nowadays.  Back in the NES days, when where I am from minimum wage as around $4/hr and a game cost $40 - $50, now minimum wage is $10/hr and games cost about $60-$70...  So adjusting for inflation, a NES game would cost almost twice as much as they do now... yeah I see where you're going, the GAMING MARKET IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED - You heard it here first

But there were used game shops, were there not? Also, the gaming market was a different beast back then, you CANNOT compare the two. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

vlad321 said:
stof said:
How is giving the developers money worse than not giving them money? You know your argument doesn't make any damn sense right? And yes, if they sell you something, it's yours. They don't own what's in my game stack, I do. Do you use the same argument for CD and DVD sales?

This again also ignores the fact that used game sales help fuel the industry. Many people wouldn't by a console if they couldn't buy used games, just as many people wouldn't buy new games if they couldn't later resell them.

Because you deprive them of money when you sell your game, on top of making money off their work. In the end they don't see money they should see, and in one case you make money off their work and in the other you don't. Games are not hardware. Same with movies and music.

That argument about improving the industry is just as valid for piracy. For example, the PSP would be doing far worse if it wasn't able to be unlocked.

When you buy the game you are buying the game burnt onto the disc.  Having the disc is having the right to play the game.  Yes I don't own the game in the sence that I can't rewrite a few things here or try and add content and then go off put that onto more discs and sell it to people.  But I can sell the disc that I bought to someone eles.  I could give it away.  Either way I can no longer play the game and someone else can.  Why should the publisher get paid again?     Now the Idea of making money off of it is a bit crazy.  If I were making money off of it that would mean someone paid me more for it than I paid for it.  I'm not saying that never happens but If i paid full price for a game why would someone pay me more for it?

Now if they don't want their to be used games they can go digital only.  Even then however what's to stop a person from letting other people play?  If all contect were digital only what would stop some people from swaping systems every so often to change games?

Piracy mean an unlimited number of people can play the game without paying for it.  Unlimited.  There can only be as many used games out there as there are physical copies of the game.  Piracy makes copies of the game out there that were never paid for at all.   The used game had to be bought new once. 

When I sell a game I no longer play I have money to buy other things be it games or other goods or services.  It's actuall money circulating in the economy.  When someone pirates they don't get money back.  Saving money is not the same as having money to spend.  You could pirate a million dollars worth of games but that doesn't mean you have a million to spend anywhere else.  Just mean you took stuff worth that much.   

And something else it would be one thing to say that more copies of games sell used than games that are pirated. That could be true. However try taking things to the extreme to see how little the argument makes sense. What happens if almost everyone buys the game used vs what happens if almost everyone downloads the game?

If it was mostly the used games. It would take a very long time for most people to get the game since there aren't that many used copies going around. What would likely happen? People would have to decide if it was worth more to them to play the game now and buy new or if they felt it was more worthwhile to wait. If the publisher saw the game wasn't selling they would lower the price and make more people be willing to pay for it new instead of waiting for it used.

If most people just pirate the game once it was available online they wouldn't have to wait for other people to play the game they could have it right now. The publisher could lover the price but a lower price is still so much more than free.

Yes one can't say that all the copies downloaded would have been actual sales of the game. But you can't say that all the used sales would have been a new sale for the game either. At least not at full price.

Soon they will reaize that EVERYTHING is bad for the gaming industry.

-Buying used games: People buy discounted used games instead of buying new games. Developers don't get paid for used game sales. It's killing the industry

-Game demo kiosks: People play the games for free in the store instead of buying the game. It's killing the industry.

-DLC: People add new levels to their older games instead of buying new games. It's killing the industry.

-Footballs/Baseballs/Soccerballs (volleyballs are okay): People gather with friends outside and rip off the premise of the game by playing outside with a REAL ball. As many as 10 people may play with a single ball instead of each buying a copy of "NBA Live 2011". The result: Industry killing.

-The Nintendo Wii: Killing the industry despite being a video game console that sells video games. Don't argue. Just accept it.

-Movies: People spend so much money on movies that they don't buy the movie adaptation of a particular game (Did YOU buy the Avatar game? I didn't think so..... You industry killer).

-Killing the industry: Quite possibly the number 2 cause of killing the industry.

-Barack Obama: People without jobs don't buy video games. It's all Obama's fault. And didn't he recently say to "turn off the Xbox"? He's killing the industry.

This whole industry killing conspiracy is bigger than anybody ever imagined. It's killing the industry.

vlad321 said:
stof said:
How is giving the developers money worse than not giving them money? You know your argument doesn't make any damn sense right? And yes, if they sell you something, it's yours. They don't own what's in my game stack, I do. Do you use the same argument for CD and DVD sales?

This again also ignores the fact that used game sales help fuel the industry. Many people wouldn't by a console if they couldn't buy used games, just as many people wouldn't buy new games if they couldn't later resell them.

Because you deprive them of money when you sell your game, on top of making money off their work. In the end they don't see money they should see, and in one case you make money off their work and in the other you don't. Games are not hardware. Same with movies and music.

That argument about improving the industry is just as valid for piracy. For example, the PSP would be doing far worse if it wasn't able to be unlocked.

Unless you sell the game for more than you bought it for, your certainly not making money off their work. And unless your burning the game first, allowing you to sell your disk while burning the game, it's still only one copy, so your certianly not depriving anybody of money, since that game has already been payed for.

And no, the argument for used game sales isn't the same as the argument for piracy. Because while both do have a positive effect on hardware, only the former can have a positive effect on software. What is the primary reason for reselling your games? it's to buy more games. When you trade in games to get credit towards new games, youre actually supporting the industry by buying their games. If used game sales evaporated tomorrow. Not only would there be a large population of gamers that suddenly finds that their hobby has become ridiculously overpriced, but there would also be a large population of gamers who, because they employ the tactic of reselling their games to be able to buy lots of new ones, would suddenly find that their hobby has become ridiculously overpriced.

If you look at a rack of used games, you're looking at a rack of money that went to game publishers. You're also looking at a rack of money that went to gamers who buy new games. Which is even more money that goes to publishers.

I ask again, how is a practice that gives game publishers lots of money worse than a practice that doesn't give them any?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.