By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Barack Obama Has a point - Hear me out! !

Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Obama really doesn’t have a point. Obsession over a form of entertainment (videogames, movies, music or books), food, exercise, or any form of addiction is usually the symptom of a problem; and it is rarely the cause.

Indeed... he basically sounds like those old men senators who still complain about TV. Oh if only we could go back to the days where there was almost no entertaiment and people were unhappy worked the fields a couple hours then laid in bed all day so as to not needlessly use up energy.

Furthermore, it's not really the President's place to tell individuals what is or isn't a constructive use of their time. 

A)  "Constructive" use is a silly term.

B)  Videogames have MANY constructive uses sociologically and psychologically.  For example they help people bond... etc.

It was explained best when he said "None of which I know how to use".  That's largely the point... he doesn't know anything about it and is just parroting the opinion that change = bad.

Which is really... ironic.

Unless you were saying this in jest, I felt like I must correct the egregious error. If you want to go back in the day where there were no forms of electronic entertainment as there is today then let's do that.

Average life span was around 45-55 years depending on your wealth and region. You would toil in the fields for 12 to14, sometimes 16 hours or more every single day as there were no machines to help reduce your time in the field like there is today. The only off time you had was during the late hours of the night or the time you spent just after harvest and storing for the winter was done and before it got really cold. In the time you had off it was usually spent eating. At least, this is what farming was like, different professions have different circumstances of course.

Around the Network

Its Obvious this guy has taken gaming to far, I am a Hardcore Gamer In my opinion, I own a 360 and PS3, I own over 78 games just between those 2 systems, and that is not counting PS1, PS2, PSP, Xbox, games I also have. I work full time, my wife is a stay at home mother, we have 3 kids, which my son is like me loves video games, But I still play football, play Softball for the team at church, my son does Karate, I play usually Daily, but at night before bedtime, my son is not allowed to play in the school week, he is in 3rd grade, when He gets home from school the first think he does is homework, sometimes I may allow him 1 hour of games on a school day, like if he gets a A on a test, On the weekends we both play a lot, but shopping , Laundry , grass gets mowed, I spend time with my wife and kids, we play outside, through the ball, ride bikes, you have to have balance in life, I play a lot of video games, I am sure 20 plus hours a week, but I make sure everything else is taken care of first, that way I can really enjoy my gaming time, If business is not taken care of first, I really can't play and get lost in my game, I am to worried about what I have to do, So have a balanced life, everything in moderaction is OK, Set an example for your kids, School comes first, then games. Have a Blast playing your games, don't let your games play you. Keep this in mind and you will be successful in life, and playing your games.

dirkd2323 said:
Its Obvious this guy has taken gaming to far, I am a Hardcore Gamer In my opinion, I own a 360 and PS3, I own over 78 games just between those 2 systems, and that is not counting PS1, PS2, PSP, Xbox, games I also have. I work full time, my wife is a stay at home mother, we have 3 kids, which my son is like me loves video games, But I still play football, play Softball for the team at church, my son does Karate, I play usually Daily, but at night before bedtime, my son is not allowed to play in the school week, he is in 3rd grade, when He gets home from school the first think he does is homework, sometimes I may allow him 1 hour of games on a school day, like if he gets a A on a test, On the weekends we both play a lot, but shopping , Laundry , grass gets mowed, I spend time with my wife and kids, we play outside, through the ball, ride bikes, you have to have balance in life, I play a lot of video games, I am sure 20 plus hours a week, but I make sure everything else is taken care of first, that way I can really enjoy my gaming time, If business is not taken care of first, I really can't play and get lost in my game, I am to worried about what I have to do, So have a balanced life, everything in moderaction is OK, Set an example for your kids, School comes first, then games. Have a Blast playing your games, don't let your games play you. Keep this in mind and you will be successful in life, and playing your games.

You know, your a good example to others in the form of self control and prioritizing.

Raistline said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Obama really doesn’t have a point. Obsession over a form of entertainment (videogames, movies, music or books), food, exercise, or any form of addiction is usually the symptom of a problem; and it is rarely the cause.

Indeed... he basically sounds like those old men senators who still complain about TV. Oh if only we could go back to the days where there was almost no entertaiment and people were unhappy worked the fields a couple hours then laid in bed all day so as to not needlessly use up energy.

Furthermore, it's not really the President's place to tell individuals what is or isn't a constructive use of their time. 

A)  "Constructive" use is a silly term.

B)  Videogames have MANY constructive uses sociologically and psychologically.  For example they help people bond... etc.

It was explained best when he said "None of which I know how to use".  That's largely the point... he doesn't know anything about it and is just parroting the opinion that change = bad.

Which is really... ironic.

Unless you were saying this in jest, I felt like I must correct the egregious error. If you want to go back in the day where there were no forms of electronic entertainment as there is today then let's do that.

Average life span was around 45-55 years depending on your wealth and region. You would toil in the fields for 12 to14, sometimes 16 hours or more every single day as there were no machines to help reduce your time in the field like there is today. The only off time you had was during the late hours of the night or the time you spent just after harvest and storing for the winter was done and before it got really cold. In the time you had off it was usually spent eating. At least, this is what farming was like, different professions have different circumstances of course.

I indeed was being sarcastic.

Akvod said:
Snesboy said:
I will play what I want, when I want. When the government starts telling me what to do with my life, I'm leaving this country. I have the right to pursue happiness. And if gaming, be it online or off, helps me to do that, then I will do just that.

So in other words, fuck the US government.

As long as it's not illegal, immoral, or unethical.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
Akvod said:
Snesboy said:
I will play what I want, when I want. When the government starts telling me what to do with my life, I'm leaving this country. I have the right to pursue happiness. And if gaming, be it online or off, helps me to do that, then I will do just that.

How do we determine these things?

What do we make illegal? Should we always refrain from things, because they're illegal? Or the converse?

Akvod said:
Snesboy said:
Akvod said:
Snesboy said:

How do we determine these things?

What do we make illegal? Should we always refrain from things, because they're illegal? Or the converse?

I have no idea.