By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite RPG this gen, and why?

So far, it's definetly Demon's Souls, as it's not only my favourite RPG this gen, is also my favourite game this gen.

Why you ask? Because of the amount of versatility, atmosphere, tactics, feeling of vulnerability and accomplishment, immersion and overall awe that every second playing the game offers.

When you're up exploring the horror filled Tower of Latria, hear that Bell chiming sounds from around the corner, you're immediatly filled with that sense of dread of what's to come xD

Plus, what other RPG allows you to be pretty much everything that you want, in the same character, without having to start over? None this gen, that's for sure

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
yum123 said:
have to say ff 13 as it was the highest quality rpg this gen techically and i think the best when you look at it not as a final fantasy as you shouldnt because thats just a name different game each time so people should expect different things each time other wise what people dont seem to realise is that it would get boring

excuse me? Are you serious? as long as the game carries the title Final Fantasy I will refer and compare it to previous titles of the series thank you very much. 

You honestly think that downgrading the game into controlling one character and having a command window with an "Auto" option is a change for the better in the series? we might as well have great FPSs like Halo have auto lock-on mechanisms. I'm sure Halo fans would love that ~sarcasm

Final Fantasy is being simplified. 

mate ar eyou serious the game was awesome there wasnt a boring bit to it and there is alot more to the game than that also

the auto was good and it was just an option if u didnt want to use it you didnt have to

hatmoza said:
yum123 said:
have to say ff 13 as it was the highest quality rpg this gen techically and i think the best when you look at it not as a final fantasy as you shouldnt because thats just a name different game each time so people should expect different things each time other wise what people dont seem to realise is that it would get boring

excuse me? Are you serious? as long as the game carries the title Final Fantasy I will refer and compare it to previous titles of the series thank you very much. 

You honestly think that downgrading the game into controlling one character and having a command window with an "Auto" option is a change for the better in the series? we might as well have great FPSs like Halo have auto lock-on mechanisms. I'm sure Halo fans would love that ~sarcasm

Your "Auto" argument to explain that FF is being simplified holds no ground.

It was first introduced on the DS remakes for FFIII and FFIV, and other RPG series with far more complexity than FF have also used that "Auto" option, like Persona.

Final Fantasy was never a complex series, in the overall JRPG panorama. And what yum123 pointed out is true. Every Final Fantasy game distinguishes itself from the previous ones, that's one of the main features from that series. Sure you can compare some common grounds between the series, but the fact is that it's probably the series with most changes to it's original formula.

There have been times when that formula was pushed to harder limits and there have been times when that formulas has been simplified, it's not a constant. None can say how they will change the formula for FFXV, and if it's going to be more complex or simple than FFXIII.

Plus, here's my last point. "Auto" is not forced upon you in FFXIII and you can't beat all the battles by just doing "Auto" over and over again. You're just using that feature to bolster your complaints about FFXIII, when there are other, more valid points that you could have picked up.

In fact, your complaining approach is the same as the people who complained about the Gambits in FFXII making the game too easy and automatical as well, when that same argument holds no ground whatsoever, for the single fact that you can play the entire game without them as it's not a forced feature, just like "Auto" in FFXIII.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

WRPG: Mass Effect 2 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
JRPG: Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy IV DS.

lestatdark said:
So far, it's definetly Demon's Souls, as it's not only my favourite RPG this gen, is also my favourite game this gen.

Why you ask? Because of the amount of versatility, atmosphere, tactics, feeling of vulnerability and accomplishment, immersion and overall awe that every second playing the game offers.

When you're up exploring the horror filled Tower of Latria, hear that Bell chiming sounds from around the corner, you're immediatly filled with that sense of dread of what's to come xD

Plus, what other RPG allows you to be pretty much everything that you want, in the same character, without having to start over? None this gen, that's for sure

I agree with Simone.

My two favourite RPGs this gen are Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Demon's Souls.

Both of them are a challenge, both of them demand you to grow as a gamer, they are pretty simple to understand gameplay wise but they do have a lot of depth nontheless. Oh, and one of the most important aspects: they are both REALLY REWARDING.

With both games I had to sit at work and think of strategies or things yet to be done. I was so into them!

Around the Network

Yes.... yes this is turning out well.

For you folks who didn't read the OP as carefully: I included all possible forms of RPG, and said you could talk about as many as you like.

lestatdark said:
hatmoza said:
yum123 said:

It was first introduced on the DS remakes for FFIII and FFIV, and other RPG series with far more complexity than FF have also used that "Auto" option, like Persona.

Final Fantasy was never a complex series, in the overall JRPG panorama. And what yum123 pointed out is true. Every Final Fantasy game distinguishes itself from the previous ones, that's one of the main features from that series. Sure you can compare some common grounds between the series, but the fact is that it's probably the series with most changes to it's original formula.

There have been times when that formula was pushed to harder limits and there have been times when that formulas has been simplified, it's not a constant. None can say how they will change the formula for FFXV, and if it's going to be more complex or simple than FFXIII.

Plus, here's my last point. "Auto" is not forced upon you in FFXIII and you can't beat all the battles by just doing "Auto" over and over again. You're just using that feature to bolster your complaints about FFXIII, when there are other, more valid points that you could have picked up.

In fact, your complaining approach is the same as the people who complained about the Gambits in FFXII making the game too easy and automatical as well, when that same argument holds no ground whatsoever, for the single fact that you can play the entire game without them as it's not a forced feature, just like "Auto" in FFXIII.

“Auto” has been around since mid 90s in RPGs (Beyond the Beyond 1995). it’s usually a sub option to get past random battles or weaker enemies. Final Fantasy XIII introduces Auto as the main option. Manually selecting commands is intolerable. The spells and techniques are all bunched up, and navigating between them is a pain.  It’s not even approachable. It’s like SE wanted the players to stick with auto. Plus, by the time I’m done selecting my moves manually, my comrades have already finished the battle for me. I just don’t find it fun when I’m not even participating or strategizing the battle. I can’t even see what’s going on when I manually select commands because the fight is finished before I can even select anything. The only time I could see what was going on was in dragged out boss battles … and that eventually made me go back to using the auto command because of the “staggered” feature. Like I said, SE is promoting the auto system. The only way to stagger an enemy is to land rapid attacks (combination between Physical and magical attacks) and the quickest way to fill up the stagger bar ,which depletes gradually if you don’t attack fast enough, is to use the auto command.. In a nutshell, I couldn’t even get through the game using the commands manually because the game wasn’t designed for it, especially during boss battles.

I know that the formula changes with each Final Fantasy. However, some elements that defined the game as an RPG were completely removed in this one. The obvious one was the absence of an open world. Not even a town to take a break from all the grinding. it was a nightmare. Walking endlessly in a straight line for 30 hours mashing  the action button to get through battles … comparing that to previous FFs definitely makes them more complex by a mile.  My honest opinion is that too much time was spent on the visuals and the gameplay was neglected. What also made FF a FF despite the “formula” was its unique battle system with each series. Final Fantasy XIII failed miserably with the battle system in XIII. I wasn’t a big fan of the gambits but boy it was a lot better than the pedigrams shifts ( I think that’s what it was called)

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
lestatdark said:
hatmoza said:
yum123 said:

“Auto” has been around since mid 90s in RPGs (Beyond the Beyond 1995). it’s usually a sub option to get past random battles or weaker enemies. Final Fantasy XIII introduces Auto as the main option. Manually selecting commands is intolerable. The spells and techniques are all bunched up, and navigating between them is a pain.  It’s not even approachable. It’s like SE wanted the players to stick with auto. Plus, by the time I’m done selecting my moves manually, my comrades have already finished the battle for me. I just don’t find it fun when I’m not even participating or strategizing the battle. I can’t even see what’s going on when I manually select commands because the fight is finished before I can even select anything. The only time I could see what was going on was in dragged out boss battles … and that eventually made me go back to using the auto command because of the “staggered” feature. Like I said, SE is promoting the auto system. The only way to stagger an enemy is to land rapid attacks (combination between Physical and magical attacks) and the quickest way to fill up the stagger bar ,which depletes gradually if you don’t attack fast enough, is to use the auto command.. In a nutshell, I couldn’t even get through the game using the commands manually because the game wasn’t designed for it, especially during boss battles.

I know that the formula changes with each Final Fantasy. However, some elements that defined the game as an RPG were completely removed in this one. The obvious one was the absence of an open world. Not even a town to take a break from all the grinding. it was a nightmare. Walking endlessly in a straight line for 30 hours mashing  the action button to get through battles … comparing that to previous FFs definitely makes them more complex by a mile.  My honest opinion is that too much time was spent on the visuals and the gameplay was neglected. What also made FF a FF despite the “formula” was its unique battle system with each series. Final Fantasy XIII failed miserably with the battle system in XIII. I wasn’t a big fan of the gambits but boy it was a lot better than the pedigrams shifts ( I think that’s what it was called)

This comment makes me question whether you actually played the game. What enemies were you fighting that all took <5 seconds to kill? o_O

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

^ -_- Before grand pulse? All of them.

And it's funny that you question whether I played the game or not because I was comparing trophies with you the other day and we both have 24% completion ;) ... so instead of questioning whether I own the game or not, give me a good argument dammit!

EDIT* and just fyi, i played until chp 12 before I gave up. I believe the game has 13 chps I think

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
lestatdark said:
hatmoza said:
yum123 said:

As Outlawauron pointed out, either you're way to slow to output commands, or battles should have taken less than 5 seconds to finish in order for you to do nothing. 

Not even the early battles in Chapter 1 take that short amount of time.

But even considering that, you're defining that S-E is forcing that option on players based exclusively on your opinion of the game and how you played it? See how illogical that is?

You can play the game both with Auto and without Auto, no option is forced upon you. If anything, S-E gives you more options. And once again, you can't possibily finish the game using the Auto option only, thus rendering that option pretty much useless in the end game. 

As for your other points, I don't disagree. As I said, FFXIII had many downsides to it, but the linear aspect of the game is not FFXIII fault exclusively. It was a staple in FFX as well. 

Current PC Build