By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite RPG this gen, and why?

hatmoza said:
lestatdark said:
hatmoza said:
lestatdark said:
hatmoza said:
@letsadark

Yes I'm slow at entering commands. I can't keep up with the pace of the game. I'm sorry that I'm not as fast at selecting commands as you. so thank you for proving my point about being forced to resort to the Auto command.

It's not forceful, and excuse me if I say this, but you must be entering the commands at a real slow pace. Even on the early game, when you have 3/4 ATB bars, you have almost a 3 second window to input commands. Even considering that you don't input them, and your other party members attack in that time span, you'll have another 3 second window opportunity to input the rest of the commands. 

Very few battles in the early game are done with less than three turns, unless you can do a Back attack for instant Stagger, and even then, some Staggered enemies can take more than three attack turns to defeat. Enemies like the Behemots or the Scalebeasts can take you easily over one minute to defeat. And in the case of Scalebeasts, you're not going to defeat them with Auto only.

You can continue to rant all that you want about Auto, fact is you're putting your own opinion as a fact that the option is forced and that's what S-E wanted all along, when in fact it's only an option for playing the game.  

Well, without flaming the game, I guess I'll end this by saying that the auto command for that one player you have control over, and your two team members completely acting on their own really takes the taste out of the battle (to me personally at least). It became quickly dull and repetitive. Heck even the summons had an Auto select option.

Like I said in my rant, I guess I don't belong to FF's demographic anymore. I simply like to be in control in battle. The manual system was broken in Final Fantasy XIII 

I agree that not giving you control over the two other characters was a bad design choice, in my opinion at least. 

But we shouldn't extrapolate that it's going to be continued in the future, as no FF keeps the same battle system for the next iteration. I know that FFXIII broke further away with the FF mold, but what if they make a traditional FF in FFXV? No one can tell the future of the series.  

Agreed

*sticks thumb in mouth* you mean, we're going to have  a classic turned-based system again? ^_^

Who can say? Hopefully they do something similar in the next FF. To me, the best battle system they've implemented was the FFXII system, although most fans didn't like it as well xD 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

So... since all types of RPGs are allowed, i'll say Mount&Blade:Warbands.
Didn't play the other one, but i'm hooked to this one. It has many flaws of course due to it's budget, but the core gameplay is great, the relationship mechanism is promissing, you do have a sense of purpose although you are not binded to play a certain way.... and yeah the gameplay is great :p

In a more traditional RPG style, I liked Dragon Age, though there is way to much useless talk... and too often it seems the different talk options don't do anything at all except trigger a sentence followed by the same answer from the NPC.

JRPG/SRPG wise, I have to confess that I have not played all the games I wanted or actually bought... so i can't really make a fair judgement. I liked LO though.

As far as JRPGs

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Khuutra said:
morenoingrato said:
favorite rpg is actually a remake

chrono trigger ds

This is a good, solid pick - it remains among the best for many people, even though many (I can hear a certain someone coming now to express just this) hold that the new materials are fairly weak.

What makes it your favorite RPG this gen?

Yeah, i'd put Chrono Trigger up there with the best RPGs of all time.  Even if the New material is weak... it's still one heck of a game.  It's not like the PS1 version (to my knowledge) where they actually created an inferior version.

I'm sure it'd be on my list if I had a DS.

Folklore, yeah, for the motion control. Still remember yanking soul from monsters with my controller, never played a RPG like that.

Lost odeyssey
awesome story and i like the 1000 dream thing

Around the Network

Console: Lost Odyssey (X360)

I loved the story and the characters. I thought the gameplay had great pacing if managed correctly you would be invincible by the end of the game. I hope the Last Story builds from this game.

Handheld: The World Ends With You

Yeah, there was a lot of text, but the battle system was awesome.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

ARPG - Too Human - this game is criminally underrated. It is easily in the top 5 of all games this gen. Incredibly addictive combat and good loot whoring. If you haven't played, you must try a leveled up berserker for some incredible combat action.

Proper RPG - Mass effect 1 - A little too shootery, but still amazing. Hands down best story for a RPG in this generation.

JRPG - Last Remnant - Another under rated gem. This game is all about the battle system and character development. Story is pretty good for a JRPG, which tend to have pretty awful stories in general.

famousringo said:
I'm going to have to go with The World Ends With You.

I had pretty much given up hope of ever enjoying a JRPG again after a decade of disappointments, though I'll admit I didn't console game much, and I didn't delve deeply into the more obscure JRPGs (and SRPGs will always be a different matter ).

TWEWY was the breath of fresh air that made me believe in the genre again. The action was fun, the setting and story were unique (despite the use of a couple of cliches). It had honest-to-God character development and striking artwork. The gameplay was very customizable! You could manage the top screen or ignore it at your discretion, adjust the difficulty up and down and rewards would scale up and down, use the powers you like and forget the others.

A decade?  There were plenty of good ones last gen on the PS2, GC and GBA, most notably Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden III, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Final Fantasy X.  And well, there's been tons on the DS this gen.  A lot more than just The World Ends With You.  At the very least, most of the best JRPGs from the NES and SNES have been ported or remade to the DS.

Only trouble we've had this gen is JRPGs on consoles.  But even then, there's been some good ones.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

final fantasy XIII

Timeless story, lovable chrctrs, amazing soundtrack (evn if in the end lower quality thn a few other FF), most fun bttle system, chapter 1, 5, 6 7, 9, 11, 12. Defntly my favrte. I expctd nothing from this game & made rude threads for it in december aftr Japan release, bt when a game surpasses all ur expctations the feeling is amazing. Its my favorite FF along with 8 & 7.

Othr RPG's I liked were Lost oddessy, Tales of vesperia, oblivion, fallout 3 & Mass Effect 2

Khuutra said:
morenoingrato said:
favorite rpg is actually a remake

chrono trigger ds

This is a good, solid pick - it remains among the best for many people, even though many (I can hear a certain someone coming now to express just this) hold that the new materials are fairly weak.

Is said certain person me? I personally can't stand the extra areas, as they are tacked on, and basically just a series of fetch quests or desperately trying to get into the raising monsters game very late. That aside, the core part of Chrono Trigger is an excellent game.

But my RPG of the gen... hrm... well, I'd have to agree with Persona 4 as mentioned before. It just ate my soul, and I have to admit that even I didn't see some of the twists at the end! I don't think I've ever been that addicted to a game before. If you're going to insist on only current-gen systems though, I'd probably have to say Fragile. I can't really explain why, as if I were giving games scores, Fragile is nowhere near the highest score I'd give out. But it's the way that it plays to all the things I like that I really don't see in video games. They let me look around in ruined buildings, and even an amusement park? It's dark, but not quite creepy; fun, but not overly pretentious. I love it!

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...