By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite RPG this gen, and why?

See title.

This includes all RPGs and the subgenres thereof - action RPGs, tactical RPGs, RPGs of the Eastern or Western schools, whatever. Even remakes are acceptable if that's what blows your skirt up. We're here to talk about games we like. To talk about why we like them.

I ask onl something very specific from all of you.

Respect. All you got to do is respect each other - disagreement is fine, talking lucidly about the values you hold is super peachy. Shitting on a game is not super peachy, and if you do it so help me I will report you for flaming.

HERE IS AN EXCHANGE THAT IS A-OKAY:

"I find Valkyria Chronicles portrayal of war both accessible and genuine, among the best in the genre!"
"I disagree - I find the game's oversimplification and mystification of the European theater of World War II disingenuous, and their attempts to parallel the oppression and massacre of the Jews fail to capture any real degree of horror or suffering."

HERE IS AN EXCHANGE THAT IS NOT OKAY:

"I find Valkyria Chronicles portrayal of war both accessible and genuine, among the best in the genre!"
"Man Valkyria Chronicles is just so much tired anime bullshit"

That's all. Just don't come in here to flame.

Anyway.

What's your favorite RPG of this gen, and why is it your favorite? You can talk about more than one, if you like!

Around the Network

Xenoblade. Why? I'll tell you in a few months :)

Oblivion because it is big and has an open world and you can take almost anything.

favorite rpg is actually a remake

chrono trigger ds

g-value said:
Xenoblade. Why? I'll tell you in a few months :)

This is just immensely against the spirit of the topic. You can't have a game that doesn't exist yet as your favorite. How about something you played? I kow you liked Tales of Vesperia.

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:
favorite rpg is actually a remake

chrono trigger ds

This is a good, solid pick - it remains among the best for many people, even though many (I can hear a certain someone coming now to express just this) hold that the new materials are fairly weak.

What makes it your favorite RPG this gen?

Pokemon Diamond is my favorite RPG this generation.

Listen, I love me some Pokemon. I just love that tried and true gameplay and those wonderful critters to collect. I've been doing it since 1998 and I was definitely excited to continue the series on the DS. Little did I know that there was an underlying theme to the gameplay that I never delved into before Diamond/Pearl came out. I mean, I've heard about the EV's and the Stab moves and all those things... but I never saw them as essential to my Pokemon quest. Before I would just get the team I wanted, train em up, beat the Elite Four, and that was that (and don't get me wrong, I had a blast doing it).

Of course this all changed once I met my roommate in college (what is it about college and an undying love for Pokemon? I for one love the change in attitude from High School.). He taught me what I needed to know, and then I started making my team. It took a lot of hours and a lot of egg hatching, but after a long while I got my team with the right moves and the right stats. It was definitely an accomplishment to do such a thing... but the bigger accomplishment was when I beat my roommate (handily, I may add). The student had surpassed the master (and he wasn't very happy either ).

So here's to you Leafeon, Infernape, Tyranitar, Alakazam, Garchomp, and Regice. You guys rock my socks!

And yes, SoulSilver is awesome as well.

EDIT: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is a close, close second. I just felt bad enough not even mentioning it, so I had to give it some love.

@ Khuutra

Alright alright, Tales of Vesperia is my favorite rpg this gen. Why? For many reasons.

Reason #1: The combat system is additively fun. I couldn't get enough of it.

Reason #2: The characters were extemely likable (especially Yuri Lowell). You may not have known, but I'm a big on character interactions. Deep, meaningful, funny, informative or whatever as long as it's good. And Tales of Vesperia brought me just that.

Reason #3: It had an interesting story. It was full of mysteries and had many plot twists to keep me guessing. It had some great moments as well. It also had some complex elements as too (and I love complexity).

@Khuutra: well the snes version blew me away really, I bought this game for fun, and wow, it blew me away just like the original & even more
that's why it's my favorite game ever, it's so awesome

This thread is a tad too intellectual.

That being said, I find Oblivion to be the best RPG this gen. The scale of the game as well as the diversity makes it amazing. Also, it had the most complex side missions I've experienced. And the whole atmosphere of the game is charming.