By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy - What Went Wrong!!

The best thing about maxing the graphic stuff is that they can spend that time elsewhere. I miss the funny low graphic stuff we got with older games. Now the games are too pretty to do that stuff anymore. Though i did like XIII better than XII.

Around the Network
dunno001 said:
c0rd said:
dunno001 said:
Yes, FF needs to return to its roots. It's being hit-and-miss on games since about FF8, but staying to ones base can result in a strong and loyal fanbase; look at their own Dragon Quest series as an example. Regarding FF13, to FF standards, it's a miss. FF13 will be the worst selling mainline FF in Japan since FF4! The verdict on worldwide is still out, but it looks to definitely be in the lower half of sales in the Playstation era.

Not really fair to blame the game itself entirely for its sales, you need to consider the platform it's on. Even if the game were a "hit," it'd have trouble selling.

*kicks computer* I was typing up a nice long reply to this when it decided to hang, so I don't feel like redoing it all. I'll sum it up, though.

Look at the Japanese sales of system launch FF games to the system's install bases in Japan, and you will find ratios well over 50%. (This is true with FF4, 7, and 10.) Then look at FF13. It's going to struggle to reach that 50%, if it even does. It's not selling nearly as well even on an install base ratio. The difference between PS1 (the highest console install number) at FF7 launch and PS3 at FF13 launch is less than 1 million. So why, then, does it look like FF13 will be about a million behind FF10, and considerably more behind FF7. It can only mean that it is not selling as well, and this is irregardless of the system. Unless you're trying to say it would have sold better on the Wii, which I would dispute, because it was the PS era that made the game all about graphics and FMVs, something that the PS3 could do better, and the current targeted fanbase would expect.

jst saying FF10 sold 2.3 Million according to famitsu in jpn. The extra 700K on VGchartz (as FF10 is at 3 Million here for jpn sales) is frm 3 re-releases it had as a "platinum", "Super Platinum" & "FFX+FFX-2 game pack". (which lines up with famitsu sales for those editions)

so mayb aftr FF13 gets ts Re-releases it will be highr in sales, prbbly close to 2.4 Million.

I wish they just stuck to one formula (FF7, but I'm biased)
If FF never changed from the steampunk or whatever established in 7, people would complain less. The fact that the formula changes so drastically gives players nothing to expect.

For example, Mario & Zelda may get stale at times, but they always keep their fanbases coming back. With FF, it is at the point where either you love it or you don't. That can go for any franchise, but with FF you can like the previous entry but hate the next.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

you know what went wrong with ff13, they tried to innovate, fans went mad and that's why were are like this

morenoingrato said:
you know what went wrong with ff13, they tried to innovate, fans went mad and that's why were are like this

I think Fans are mad because they wanted a Final Fantasy game and they got something totally different with the FF name on it.

If you replace FFXIII with another game title, then it won't be considered a masterpiece. That's how bad it is

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
I wish they just stuck to one formula (FF7, but I'm biased)
If FF never changed from the steampunk or whatever established in 7, people would complain less. The fact that the formula changes so drastically gives players nothing to expect.

For example, Mario & Zelda may get stale at times, but they always keep their fanbases coming back. With FF, it is at the point where either you love it or you don't. That can go for any franchise, but with FF you can like the previous entry but hate the next.

tht wud be boring & ppl wud get bored eventually. My favrite FF's are FF7/8/13 so obviusly I prefer the modern style ones, bt just limiting it to steampunk wud be boring.

Well I have really enjoyed their recent games, so I am very happy with what they are doing

the_bloodwalker said:
morenoingrato said:

I think Fans are mad because they wanted a Final Fantasy game and they got something totally different with the FF name on it.

If you replace FFXIII with another game title, then it won't be considered a masterpiece. That's how bad it is

u hvnt evn played it like u sed in ur post so stop lying.

FF name hurt FF13 actually. Why are most newcomers loving FF13? they r the ppl going in with no pre-concieved notions of the game, if FF13 was a new IP not named FF it wud be regarded even higher than it is now.

The FF name ment complaints like no world map, no airships, no towns, no minigames arose. If it ws called sumthing else like Lightning's Adventure every1 wudn't rate it like wht they wnt their dream FF to be like.

@AkibaFan

I haven't played the game because I don't want to. I based my opinions of what I have read and seen from my friends playing the game and what they have told me.

FFXIII is not bad by any means, and I never intended to say that. What I am saying is that when you have a franchise name like Final Fantasy you have some expectations based on the previously played titles (not the setting, but the gameplay experience). But unfortunately, as my friends confirm it, it does not deliver in many of those things at all. However, overall is a great game.

Many of the high regards of the game you see online is because of the FF name, I haven't seen one site that says otherwise. I agree with you that the game is on the franchise shadow and should have been a different IP. because many reviews would be more objective (a more balanced score, not 10s and 2s scattered on sites) and perhaps more appreciated.

First please GOD make versus a good game :S

Second FF has been disappointing to me :S

.:sniff:.