By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy - What Went Wrong!!

weaveworld said:
thelifatree said:
Edit I shrunk this.

Oh come on... now you're being oversensitive. Changes made beyond your influence tend to make people protest. The people who will suffer the most in Greece were not at fault. Sadly enough...

And, i did like FF13... Never stated i didn't. To be clear, i'm absolutely NOT hating... So far to me every single FF game is an outstanding game in itself. But for some reason the dislikes for 13 are easier to back up with concrete and well-argumented reasons. Because the game lacks certain things others did not. But still a great game though.

I edited the first part out as you see, because I figured I was after I posted it, sorry. However, a videogame dilemma =/= a real life problem in my book was all I was meaning to say.

Edit I screwed up this post massively saying though. I am not forcing you to love it or anything. And you weren't really the one I was responding to in this thread other than that the FF philosphy hasn't changed which I was arguing.

For One FFXIII isn't even close to my favorite game, as the top 6 in my sig blow the rest out of the water IMO.

Really I find lots of problems in all games... the games I like more I ignore more of the problems, plus FFXIII fit my style more than most of the other ones. I was just defending the Square/SE acting differently since the start of their existence which you can still disagree with. However, they're patter seems to fit, the very random pattern they like to exude.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
weaveworld said:
lestatdark said:
weaveworld said:
lestatdark said:
weaveworld said:
perpride said:
@letstat - It's all about learning to appreciate the change. I've been a LONG TIME fan of the series. The first time I played was almost two decades ago. Every single game makes huge changes and I welcome these changes 99% of the time.

For me, the battle system is a huge part of any JRPG. Final Fantasy is amazing because they are constantly innovating in this department. This is also the reason I regard FFXIII and XII as two of the best games in the series.

Here's two of the reasons ppl hate FFXIII:

1 - Not a PS3 exclusive. It seriously bothers PS3 fanboys to see such amazing sales for a game that was supposed to be exclusive. Honestly, half the hype for this game turned into hate before it even released.

2 - Not Nintendo exclusive. Believe it or not, there are still nintendo fanboys that are bitter about the fact that Final Fantasy moved onto different platforms. You can spot these people very easily: they think the series sold out after VII.

what I find weird with Final Fantasy is how passionately people hate it. I mean, when a person doesn't like a game, they usually just don't play it. With FFXIII, it seems people will go out of their way just to troll the game. Look at Rhada's signature for reference. It's like they feel the need to express their hate at every possible moment.

I've been a 'long' term fan myself, and the new iterations still don't give me the same kind of 'satisfaction' the older games gave me. Be it the lack of sidequests, the focus on graphical orgasms, the lack of minigames or the lack of... lets call it the x-factor.

I won't hate on any Final Fantasy yet but still FF13 hasn't given me the emotions while playing the 'others' (VI, VII, VIII etc.) gave me. There IS something different, and i do not mind innovation, but i do mind simplification. Sure, try to cater to a new audience, but do not defend a series that is trying something new and make everyone who dislikes it a 'moron' with your two statements. I've seen lots of reasonable arguments why 13 just isn't all that and they have nothing to do with your summary.

The thing about the aparent simplification of FF in FFXIII has no right to be so. 

I'm not saying that the simplification isn't there, but it was already there on FFX, and on FFXII they brought back a much higher level of complexity. That's typical of the FF main series, as it fluctuates along each new game.

The same also happened with previous FFs. In terms of complexity, one can say that FFV was utterly more complex than FFVI, yet that didn't mean that it would stay the same for the next FF games. One cannot simply look into one game on the FF series and then create elations for the future of the series, because it's always changing. 

You are right in the fact that it is always changing. But by simplification is not just ment(?sp) the toughness of battles. It is a mere statement of not having to search for answers/characters/storyline/sidequests. It might include the easiness of finishing the last battle which hasn't been a pain since FFVIII/IX... to me at least.

One should understand the so called hatred toward a series that is trying to change/innovate. The question is whether the change is made for the purpose of being innovative or merely to cater to a broader audience which seems very likely within the FF franchise nowadays... to me again at least.

Hell, ask the people in Greece whether they like the change that is brought upon them

Well, since FF has never been a series that has pushed me to a limit in which I can consider a pain to finish the battles (except for some superbosses like Omega in FFXII or Ozma in FFIX), I never felt that it suddendly has changed for a more easy approach. Some games feel more strategic and others feel more linear in terms of battle approach.

I agree that FFXIII pushed the overall simplification too much, focusing more on the graphical package and the story rather than everything else, but as I said, this has been intermitent with all FFs, not just the recent ones.

Keeping a formula stale, if not correctly applied (and there aren't that many RPGs that can correctly apply the same formula), can be just as bad as non-sensical change. And I can't seriously comment on your last phrase since both situations have nothing comparable in them. 

Things need to change in Greece... people protest...

Final fantasy made a change... people protest...

But maybe i'm just making strange comparisons.

But to respond, i personally had a 'hard' time finishing the final bosses in V, VII and VIII. And i never stated that they had changed suddenly for an easier approach. It just feels like it is getting more easy to come to, and finish the last battle.  And by saying this has been 'intermitent'(?) with all FF's i disagree. The focus on graphical splendor did not stand in the way of making an absolute masterpiece with FFIX. Seriously, I don't think that has ever gotten in the way of creating an outstanding and very elaborate FF... up untill now.

What do you consider more elaborate? Because if it's all about gameplay, story, sidequests, ability to go wherever you want and sheer things to do/explore, FFXII had that in spades. FFXII was perhaps the biggest FF game ever made so far, with a very expansive universe, that took a lot from what previous games of the Ivalice world had achieved before and gave a very different approach to what the typical FF story used to be. I agree that FFXIII took a step back from what FFXII achieved, and went for a much more similar approach than FFX had done before.

As for FFIX, I agree that it was perhaps one of the better, post FFVI expressions of FF games, yet it too had some very blatant faults. Like an overly simplistic and cliche story and a completely out-of-the-blue final boss/ending that made no sense whatsoever.

The problem with FF is not what the developers create with them, is how FF fans percieve of what they want a FF game to be. Some fans prefer that each new FF game would be similar to pre-PSX FFs, some prefer that they would be similar to pre-PS2 FFs, some accept the changes, some hate them.

Well, I must agree with you on the XII argument. It did have lots of all and then some... But it still didn't manage to capture the emotional connections you had with characters in earlier FF's. At least for me it didn't.

As a fan i absolutely accept changes if you would put me in a corner like that, accepting and liking are different things though. I liked the battle system in 13 in some ways. I liked the grid in X in some ways. I liked the freedom in XII. But overall i had more fun playing the 'older' Final Fantasies and maybe i have to blame nostalgia for that. But i will always keep an open mind, trying out new things.

My initial post was meant to comment on a very 'simplistic' approach of so-called haters though. For i did like 13 but just not as much as the older FF's and peoples arguments for disliking 13 are mostly justified. After all, tastes differ.

weaveworld said:
lestatdark said:
weaveworld said:
lestatdark said:
weaveworld said:
lestatdark said:
weaveworld said:
perpride said:
@letstat - It's all about learning to appreciate the change. I've been a LONG TIME fan of the series. The first time I played was almost two decades ago. Every single game makes huge changes and I welcome these changes 99% of the time.

For me, the battle system is a huge part of any JRPG. Final Fantasy is amazing because they are constantly innovating in this department. This is also the reason I regard FFXIII and XII as two of the best games in the series.

Here's two of the reasons ppl hate FFXIII:

1 - Not a PS3 exclusive. It seriously bothers PS3 fanboys to see such amazing sales for a game that was supposed to be exclusive. Honestly, half the hype for this game turned into hate before it even released.

2 - Not Nintendo exclusive. Believe it or not, there are still nintendo fanboys that are bitter about the fact that Final Fantasy moved onto different platforms. You can spot these people very easily: they think the series sold out after VII.

what I find weird with Final Fantasy is how passionately people hate it. I mean, when a person doesn't like a game, they usually just don't play it. With FFXIII, it seems people will go out of their way just to troll the game. Look at Rhada's signature for reference. It's like they feel the need to express their hate at every possible moment.

I've been a 'long' term fan myself, and the new iterations still don't give me the same kind of 'satisfaction' the older games gave me. Be it the lack of sidequests, the focus on graphical orgasms, the lack of minigames or the lack of... lets call it the x-factor.

I won't hate on any Final Fantasy yet but still FF13 hasn't given me the emotions while playing the 'others' (VI, VII, VIII etc.) gave me. There IS something different, and i do not mind innovation, but i do mind simplification. Sure, try to cater to a new audience, but do not defend a series that is trying something new and make everyone who dislikes it a 'moron' with your two statements. I've seen lots of reasonable arguments why 13 just isn't all that and they have nothing to do with your summary.

The thing about the aparent simplification of FF in FFXIII has no right to be so. 

I'm not saying that the simplification isn't there, but it was already there on FFX, and on FFXII they brought back a much higher level of complexity. That's typical of the FF main series, as it fluctuates along each new game.

The same also happened with previous FFs. In terms of complexity, one can say that FFV was utterly more complex than FFVI, yet that didn't mean that it would stay the same for the next FF games. One cannot simply look into one game on the FF series and then create elations for the future of the series, because it's always changing. 

You are right in the fact that it is always changing. But by simplification is not just ment(?sp) the toughness of battles. It is a mere statement of not having to search for answers/characters/storyline/sidequests. It might include the easiness of finishing the last battle which hasn't been a pain since FFVIII/IX... to me at least.

One should understand the so called hatred toward a series that is trying to change/innovate. The question is whether the change is made for the purpose of being innovative or merely to cater to a broader audience which seems very likely within the FF franchise nowadays... to me again at least.

Hell, ask the people in Greece whether they like the change that is brought upon them

Well, since FF has never been a series that has pushed me to a limit in which I can consider a pain to finish the battles (except for some superbosses like Omega in FFXII or Ozma in FFIX), I never felt that it suddendly has changed for a more easy approach. Some games feel more strategic and others feel more linear in terms of battle approach.

I agree that FFXIII pushed the overall simplification too much, focusing more on the graphical package and the story rather than everything else, but as I said, this has been intermitent with all FFs, not just the recent ones.

Keeping a formula stale, if not correctly applied (and there aren't that many RPGs that can correctly apply the same formula), can be just as bad as non-sensical change. And I can't seriously comment on your last phrase since both situations have nothing comparable in them. 

Things need to change in Greece... people protest...

Final fantasy made a change... people protest...

But maybe i'm just making strange comparisons.

But to respond, i personally had a 'hard' time finishing the final bosses in V, VII and VIII. And i never stated that they had changed suddenly for an easier approach. It just feels like it is getting more easy to come to, and finish the last battle.  And by saying this has been 'intermitent'(?) with all FF's i disagree. The focus on graphical splendor did not stand in the way of making an absolute masterpiece with FFIX. Seriously, I don't think that has ever gotten in the way of creating an outstanding and very elaborate FF... up untill now.

What do you consider more elaborate? Because if it's all about gameplay, story, sidequests, ability to go wherever you want and sheer things to do/explore, FFXII had that in spades. FFXII was perhaps the biggest FF game ever made so far, with a very expansive universe, that took a lot from what previous games of the Ivalice world had achieved before and gave a very different approach to what the typical FF story used to be. I agree that FFXIII took a step back from what FFXII achieved, and went for a much more similar approach than FFX had done before.

As for FFIX, I agree that it was perhaps one of the better, post FFVI expressions of FF games, yet it too had some very blatant faults. Like an overly simplistic and cliche story and a completely out-of-the-blue final boss/ending that made no sense whatsoever.

The problem with FF is not what the developers create with them, is how FF fans percieve of what they want a FF game to be. Some fans prefer that each new FF game would be similar to pre-PSX FFs, some prefer that they would be similar to pre-PS2 FFs, some accept the changes, some hate them.

Well, I must agree with you on the XII argument. It did have lots of all and then some... But it still didn't manage to capture the emotional connections you had with characters in earlier FF's. At least for me it didn't.

As a fan i absolutely accept changes if you would put me in a corner like that, accepting and liking are different things though. I liked the battle system in 13 in some ways. I liked the grid in X in some ways. I liked the freedom in XII. But overall i had more fun playing the 'older' Final Fantasies and maybe i have to blame nostalgia for that. But i will always keep an open mind, trying out new things.

My initial post was meant to comment on a very 'simplistic' approach of so-called haters though. For i did like 13 but just not as much as the older FF's and peoples arguments for disliking 13 are mostly justified. After all, tastes differ.

I agree with how older Final Fantasies feel somewhat different from most recent ones, and I'm frank with you, most of the times, I prefer to replay FFIV or FFVI rather than FFVIII, FFIX, FFX or FFXIII. Mainly because as you said, nostalgia playing a great factor in it, but because there are some very touching moments in them, for me.

It's true that there's a lot of justified dislike for FFXIII, I have a lot of complains about it as well, but most of them have been part of the approach that the series has taken since FFX, especially the lack of a proper world map. But I have seen lots of injustified complaints for FFXIII as well, especially about how the game plays itself due to Auto-Battle, when in fact, lots of other RPGs use that same option and in FFXIII it isn't forced upon you.

Those are the kinds of complaints that sometimes makes me sad, because they come off as nitpicking for reasons, instead of looking towards the ones that are actually issues. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

it problem it's trying to please western tastes.

when their fans bought it for their japanese style

fluffy said:
AkibaFan said:
fluffy said:
I can't believe how many people like FF8. The original video's comments on 8 are about the only thing I agree with him on...which probably means I am way off.

To me FF8 was Manic Marauders from the Moon caused Mopey Members to Mug Monsters for Magic.

i see nthing but negativity for FF8 on the intrnet. 

Forget the whole internet (lowest common denomonator), I was referring to VGC. I tend to take the community's opinion here a lot more seriously than "the internet's" opinion. There is quite a bit of love for FF8 here, and frankly I don't get it. I would enjoy hearing a sensible argument (or just list of reasons) why folks here liked FF8 as much as they did (hell, there's a good amount of love for it in this thread...which is what prompted the alliteration in the first place).

Hey, this is coming from someone who enjoyed FF12 (not the story, and not so much the characters, but I loved the whole run around the world freely entering/exiting battles at will.

Because they are Non-Conformist Conformist. They like to like what other people like simply because it is not a popular opinion. The same people that Hate FFVII because its the most popular and LOVe to bring up Kefka as the best villain in the series when we all know in our hearts that is Sephiroth hands down.(Beware, this might be a harsh generalization) :D

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
dtewi said:
dunno001 said:
perpride said:

Not quite. Sure, there are some who feel that it sold out because it switched. My problem with FF7 was that this was when graphics really became king, pushing good gameplay and challenge to the wayside.

Are you saying FF6 was challenging?

Nope. Challenge is actually my only gripe with 6. There are a few tough areas to me, like the Floating Continent. In fact, it is this gripe that has me prefering FF5 to 6- I can't find a big gripe in 5. If 6 were as hard as 4 or 5, it would probably go down as one of my best games ever. And following 4 and 5, I saw it as a hiccup for difficulty.

Then we had 7. 7 was even easier than 6, which told me that no, it wasn't a hiccup. And the rest of my "problem" previously stated happened. 6 had good enough pieces to keep my interest despite the lack of challenge. But 7 did not. Parts of 7, frankly, bored me. Sure, it was a lot prettier than 6, in its day. (6 has aged much better than 7, though.) I could make a list on how much I didn't like other parts of 7, but that's not really relevant to this thread, as it's meant to look at a more evolutionary decay problem.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

forevercloud3000 said:
fluffy said:
AkibaFan said:
fluffy said:
I can't believe how many people like FF8. The original video's comments on 8 are about the only thing I agree with him on...which probably means I am way off.

To me FF8 was Manic Marauders from the Moon caused Mopey Members to Mug Monsters for Magic.

i see nthing but negativity for FF8 on the intrnet. 

Forget the whole internet (lowest common denomonator), I was referring to VGC. I tend to take the community's opinion here a lot more seriously than "the internet's" opinion. There is quite a bit of love for FF8 here, and frankly I don't get it. I would enjoy hearing a sensible argument (or just list of reasons) why folks here liked FF8 as much as they did (hell, there's a good amount of love for it in this thread...which is what prompted the alliteration in the first place).

Hey, this is coming from someone who enjoyed FF12 (not the story, and not so much the characters, but I loved the whole run around the world freely entering/exiting battles at will.

Because they are Non-Conformist Conformist. They like to like what other people like simply because it is not a popular opinion. The same people that Hate FFVII because its the most popular and LOVe to bring up Kefka as the best villain in the series when we all know in our hearts that is Sephiroth hands down.(Beware, this might be a harsh generalization) :D

Well, Kefka was a great villian, the whole genocide and all, does that make him a "better" villian, I dunno whatever.

But for the Non-Conformist thing, I am sure that might be the case for some (i.e. remember when it was cool to hate on <insert pop culture reference here>), but there has got to be some strong opinions based on individual taste and not conformity that love FF8. I can see liking parts of it, the graphics were superb for it's time, but the battle system, story and characters all made me violently ill. I guess trying to follow FF6 & FF7 is probably casting it in a lot more negative light than it probably deserved, but it remains the only FF that I haven't gone back to "complete" it (as in 100% or near 100% playthrough), as soon as the main story was over it got put back into it's case never to be touched again. .