By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EDGE reviews Mario Galaxy 2... Oh dear

Wagram said:
Khuutra said:

Did you read the whole review or just that excerpt

Because the guy goes far, FAR out of his way to explain how SMG2 is not the same as the first game

I read the whole thing. But they can't say this and expect us to take any of their reviews with a grain of salt. If they want to grind games for not redefining. Then fine stick with it. But do not give games free passes just because.

It's bull.

They don't grind on games for not redefining, they grind on games for being STAAAAAAAAAALE.

AND OLD

AND BORING

That's their whole thing! They only care about fresh experiences which tickle one's sensitivities and make you appreciate the meidum in new ways. Mario Galaxy 2, according to this review, does exaclty that: it makes you look at the entire platforming genre, as if the hwole thing has been exemplified and condensed into this package, infused wit new ideas and then condensed into liquid form and injected directly into your eyeballs!

The point here is that the review says SMG2 is not stale, and does not suffer from sequelitis.

Wanting them to deduct points from the game for those reasons when it dosn't have those flaws is silly.

Around the Network

I AM NOT SAYING IT DOESN'T DESERVE A HIGH SCORE!

I'm saying that it should at least get points deducted for not re-defining! If they punish others for it then this game needs to be punished to!

Is this really a hard concept to grasp?

If Edge NSMB a 7/10 then they are all right with me. IMO that game was just a 2d Mario game with multiplayer(like thats never been done b4). it was overpriced for what it was. They could have added a level editor at least. Now im exicited for Galaxy 2 (they did give FF 13 a 5, it wasnt that bad)

everdom said:
Just read the review, and god am I excited.

To those who havent bothered i really suggest you give the review a read, the author goes a very long way to explain his sense of wonder and enjoyment of all the intricacies that intertwine flawlessly to create the game.

Honestly i'd give a game a 10 if i enjoyed it as much as the reviwer celarly did.

Are you suggesting that we actually read a review?

You go too far sir.

Wagram said:

Also they are hypocritical as hell. They grunt and rant about other games not redefining the genre and deduct MAJOR points for it. But because this is Mario it is all of a sudden alright?

...My answer is that they are a shit magazine who shall not be trusted.

If you read the ENTIRE review, you would notice that he says there are so many new ideas (countless new ideas). That even though it looks the same as the previous one it in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT experience.

Around the Network

I'm not complaining about the score. I'm complaining that they way they review games is not consistent. They need to take a step back and fix it because they look like morons.

Wagram said:
I'm not complaining about the score. I'm complaining that they way they review games is not consistent. They need to take a step back and fix it because they look like morons.

You are not listening to what I am saying.

They are not being inconsistent.

They complained about games being samey, and stale, and boring because they played and felt exactly like previous installments.

Galaxy 2 apparently suffers from none of that.

@ Wagram

It's not redefining anything they care about, as Khuutra said, it's about fresh experiences.

Khuutra said:
Wagram said:

You are not listening to what I am saying.

They are not being inconsistent.

They complained about games being samey, and stale, and boring because they played and felt exactly like previous installments.

Galaxy 2 apparently suffers from none of that.

You know I am not the first and not the last to bring up this point.

I can clearly see that just because this is Mario I am being attacked. So I give up. I'm going back to playing my 4.0/10 game that is un-defining, boring and stale. Best of luck to Mario. I am sure that it will be a great game.

Wagram said:

You know I am not the first and not the last to bring up this point.

I can clearly see that just because this is Mario I am being attacked. So I give up. I'm going back to playing my 4.0/10 game that is un-defining, boring and stale. Best of luck to Mario. I am sure that it will be a great game.

You may not be the first and you may not be the last, but you, your predecessors, and your successors are all wrong.

This is not inconsistency. You cannot argue the point because you have no point on which to stand!