By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Others UP!! (01st May 2010)

Reasonable said:

I'm not convinced a slim model will make any difference.  I don't see Xbox associated with slim in a way that would make it more desirable.  I could be wrong but I'm not convinced that having a slim model will automatically generate more demand.  I really think it's all about price now for 360 after so many years in the market and with multiple iterations of its main franchises already released.

One of the biggest advantages slim will bring is a psychological break for consumers from the RROD fiasco.  It's a "new" more reliable 360, and I fully expect Microsoft marketing and PR to capitalize on that.

Besides remodels almost always reinvigorate the market (GB Pocket, PSone, GBA SP, PS2 slim, DS Lite, PS3 slim, etc).  And I fully expect the slim to be buffered by a real pricedrop (not simply value adding) on one side and Natal on the other.  It's more of a platform relaunch, and is much the same sort of thing PS3 went through last fall.

Around the Network
I LOVE GIGGS said:
ElGranCabeza said:
The biggest thing I saw this week was the difference between the 2 MW2 skus, they're usually pretty close to each other, don't know why the big difference this week.

According to Chart-Track There was a price promotion for the Xbox version last week in UK.

yes. xbox 120gig elite is 175 with a game.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

- I jarrod said:
Reasonable said:

I'm not convinced a slim model will make any difference.  I don't see Xbox associated with slim in a way that would make it more desirable.  I could be wrong but I'm not convinced that having a slim model will automatically generate more demand.  I really think it's all about price now for 360 after so many years in the market and with multiple iterations of its main franchises already released.

One of the biggest advantages slim will bring is a psychological break for consumers from the RROD fiasco.  It's a "new" more reliable 360, and I fully expect Microsoft marketing and PR to capitalize on that.

Besides remodels almost always reinvigorate the market (GB Pocket, PSone, GBA SP, PS2 slim, DS Lite, PS3 slim, etc).  And I fully expect the slim to be buffered by a real pricedrop (not simply value adding) on one side and Natal on the other.  It's more of a platform relaunch, and is much the same sort of thing PS3 went through last fall.

I fully understand that  - I'm just not convinced the Xbox brand is as associated with such remodels and as a result I think the impact will be less than a Sony or Nintendo remodel.  I just don't believe the 360 demographic will be as fussed by a slim and I don't think it will be taken as a relaunch in quite the same way.

I could be wrong, but that's my feeling at the moment.  The market is in a sense conditioned to eat up Sony/Nintendo revisions but not Xbox ones at this point.  I'm actually not sure how much difference the Slim element of the PS3 made vs the lower price either.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
- I jarrod said:
Reasonable said:

I fully understand that  - I'm just not convinced the Xbox brand is as associated with such remodels and as a result I think the impact will be less than a Sony or Nintendo remodel.  I just don't believe the 360 demographic will be as fussed by a slim and I don't think it will be taken as a relaunch in quite the same way.

I could be wrong, but that's my feeling at the moment.  The market is in a sense conditioned to eat up Sony/Nintendo revisions but not Xbox ones at this point.  I'm actually not sure how much difference the Slim element of the PS3 made vs the lower price either.

Sorry, but that sounds like a pretty arbitrary distinction.  Brands aren't that delineated by consumer base, plenty of people who will buy 360 slims bought PS2 slims last generation...

jarrod, do you expect the 360 to consistantly outsell the PS3 worldwide once the slim/price cut (assuming there´s a price cut to go along with the new design, of course) is out?...if you do, by how much do you see the 360 outselling the PS3?

Around the Network
JGarret said:
jarrod, do you expect the 360 to consistantly outsell the PS3 worldwide once the slim/price cut (assuming there´s a price cut to go along with the new design, of course) is out?...if you do, by how much do you see the 360 outselling the PS3?

I think it more likely will consistently outsell PS3 ww from say September (slim/Reach) through March (Gears 3), but not by much.   The big push ahead will be America, Europe will be close with PS3 possibly even still eeking out ahead (thanks GT5!), Japan is lol.

jarrod said:
Reasonable said:
- I jarrod said:
Reasonable said:

Sorry, but that sounds like a pretty arbitrary distinction.  Brands aren't that delineated by consumer base, plenty of people who will buy 360 slims bought PS2 slims last generation...

Not really.  I work in retail demand forecasting and optimization as a business consultant and in fact demand influencers often vary by brand and association with a brand.

For example do you expect a 'slim' version of a Nintendo console?  I don't, really.

I'd say it's pretty likely the idea of slim meaning more desirable is more linked to Sony brand than any of the others.  To be honest, given the status of the consoles this gen, I'm not convinced that the early slim PS3 really drove that much additional sales, it looks from the data I see that it was more driven by the price drop associated with the new model - at least here in Europe which is what we're talking about.

For the average buyer I'd be willing to bet they don't even notice the switch to a slim unless it was associated with a price drop, and it's the drop I'm pretty convinced drives the demand, not the slim.

In US I think a 360 slim would perhaps drive more interest but I'm not convinced across Europe with the exception of UK which seems determined to be a mini US this gen.

Now is MS would release a slim at the same price then we'd see if the slim angle was the draw.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
jarrod said:
Reasonable said:
- I jarrod said:
Reasonable said:

Not really.  I work in retail demand forecasting and optimization as a business consultant and in fact demand influencers often vary by brand and association with a brand.

For example do you expect a 'slim' version of a Nintendo console?  I don't, really.

I'd say it's pretty likely the idea of slim meaning more desirable is more linked to Sony brand than any of the others.  To be honest, given the status of the consoles this gen, I'm not convinced that the early slim PS3 really drove that much additional sales, it looks from the data I see that it was more driven by the price drop associated with the new model - at least here in Europe which is what we're talking about.

For the average buyer I'd be willing to bet they don't even notice the switch to a slim unless it was associated with a price drop, and it's the drop I'm pretty convinced drives the demand, not the slim.

In US I think a 360 slim would perhaps drive more interest but I'm not convinced across Europe with the exception of UK which seems determined to be a mini US this gen.

Now is MS would release a slim at the same price then we'd see if the slim angle was the draw.

The PS3 proved consumers care more about price than the "slim" model, to many people I think the new form factor looked a lot cheaper and less classy than the outgoing model but the 25% cut in price was a huge attraction.  There will always be some people interested in a new form factor for a console but not enough to sustain a boost for any of the manufacturers more than any other imo.

I think the 360 is in fairness a new instance that is even harder to comment on as we've never had a console with such a high failure rate getting a comprehensive redesign like it will have.  If Microsoft market it well and its build quality is good then they could attract some ex 360 customers back who lost all faith in the original form factor too.

One thing that is for certain we can agree on.  The only guaranteed long term boost to sales is a price cut to the entry level model for the 360.

Reasonable said:

Half Nintendo's consoles historically have gotten "slim" revisions.  Seems like something Nintendo likes to do when they have a market leader...