By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Others UP!! (01st May 2010)

Put a fork in the 360, its done at this price point now.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure Nintendo will have more success next week.

The Official 'The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword' Thread (Updated):
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134508&page=1

why dont sony just cut the price to $200 and end all this bullshit with the 360. hell after they can raise the price again and still be beating the 360! like now.

Metallicube said:
Never thought I'd see the day where PS3 would sell the most software, even if just for a week.. Hell has officially frozen over. This is such an odd generation in that nothing seems consistent, and everything keeps shifting around. The only constant seems to be the Wii selling the most hardware, but even that has been challenged on a few occasions..

MH3 held up much better than I anticipated. I think it can really end up doing 1 million sales combined in the West. Just shows that a good 3rd party Wii game CAN sell strongly if enough care and effort is put into it. Other than that game and the usual big 4 or 5 games, not much Wii love in Others.. Mario Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment 2, and Other M should change that somewhat.

It happened before, when GOW 3 was released, and FF, this is it's 4th week or so already.

Holy shit God of War Collection sold better than I expected... and it wasn't even selling a full week, it was released on the 30th, so it's had what, 1-2 days of sales and almost done 100k with no advertising whatsoever, that's amazing...

I wonder how it'll do in the second week, I just bought it today, having tons of fun although there's some issues I wish they'd fix, these being: The cutscenes haven't been upscaled, meaning they look horrible, and secondly, why does every woman need to have her tits out? there was even a woman with a cloth over, but it was completely transparent, lol...

Can someone link last weeks hardware sales too, so we can see the comparison... I think everything will start going up again for some reason, even in the US, but you never know, could just be a one off situation.

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
Smeags said:
Spedfrom said:
makingmusic476 said:

That's the LTD attach rate.  PS3 has had the lead in attach rate in Others since the week ending November 1, 2008.

It's somewhat susprising compared to the 360, considering the install base for the two in Others is near identical while the 360 has been out for 1.5 years longer.

I'd attribute a large part of the blame to piracy.

Well, let's not forget the fact that there are some early 360 games (not to mention DS and PSP) that have incomplete sales data, especially in the Others regions. Not to say that the PS3's tie ratio isn't impressive, but just that there's a lot of data that continues to be updated in the Others.

@hallowedbeeddie

I like the numbers!

That's true for the PS3 as well though, including newer games like Buzz Quiz World, Singstar 2, Hot Shots Golf 5 and RockBand 1 and 2, and a lot of older games are imcomplete, i.e. missing or have oudated data. It's true for all consoles and handhelds. Just something I noticed, I'm sure ioi is working his hardest to bring us the data, off the top of my head we got Oblivion Others data for PS3 and 360 up to date, GoW2 for PS2 and Ratchet for PSP. So in due time we'll get more, I'm sure.

It is a more advanced problem for the X360 though.... i'm not saying the PS3 software isn't impressive, because it is.... but while there is the occasional  recent game that doesn't get figures in "others" most missing games are from before ioi fully started tracking the area.... which was only about 6-7 months after the PS3s PAL launch, but over 20 months for the X360.

For the total lifetime sales of the games I did work out a good multiplier about a year ago... as tracking has got better since then it doesn't work but to get an idea of the difference between the systems:
PS3 and Wii total games sales I multiplied by about 1.3/1.4 to get an estimate of the real total.
X360 multiplied by about 2
DS multiplied by about 2.5
PSP multiplied by 6

I can't be bothered looking at it in detail now, but I imagine its about 1.2 for PS3/Wii, 1.6 for X360, 2 for DS and 3 for PSP

good #'s all around.

@slowmo

Do you think with a slim/possible price cut combo (oh, and Natal too), the 360 will start outselling the PS3 again in Others?

JGarret said:
@slowmo

Do you think with a slim/possible price cut combo (oh, and Natal too), the 360 will start outselling the PS3 again in Others?

With a price cut and new revision it will trend above the PS3, hence the bet in my sig as the US alone is not enough for the 360 to outsell the PS3.  Natal doesn't enter the equation, this is just the natural seesaw of this generation.  Natal is something completely different, it could become a killer app and drive 360 sales onto another level or become just another add on peripheral never fully utilised that does nothing but bump sales for one xmas (I'm not even going to guess which given we have ZERO information on launch software and pricing). 

For the record I don't believe Sony will counter the cut with an actual price drop, I think we'll just see heavy bundling which will have a limited spoiling effect. 

Thats just my opinion anyway, I've already stated numerous times how the 360 price actually went up in price last year in Others which is a contributing factor to the sharp dip in sales.  If you remember back to 2008 the 360 actually had a cut in Others early in the year then it cut again in September and finally they increased the price back up after xmas blaming the exchange rates (not all the way back to start of 2008 prices though obviously).

Wii down YoY, shit. That's quite bad considering it has easy comparisons at this point.

Last year:

DS 242,809
Wii 110,961
PSP 68,020
360 50,137
PS3 48,824
PS2 47,768

Wii down 6K YoY, 360 down 7K YoY, PS3 up 15K.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.