By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
ZenfoldorVGI said:

That said, I vaguely noted those issues while I was having the time of my life. It's such a huge game, that you can point out many individual flaws, but any game is greater(or worse) than the sum of its parts. In these examples I like to point to Resistance 2, which used a notorious bullet points list as a sales tactic. The game did indeed live up to all of those bullet points, it just wasn't as good as one would assume, despite that.

I had kinda the same issue with Final Fantasy XII, actually - seemed to have all the right components, but the end result was underwhelming compared to what it could've been.

Of course, there are a lot of games that do just the opposite.

Again, there might be a list of negatives about any great game a mile long, but one positive can completely overcome that, if it's big enough.

True. In those case it has to be a really damn big positive, though.

Our base disagreement, it seems, is that you found the exploration of the waste to be busywork and repetitive, I found it to be vastly exciting, like I was really exploring, and there was SO MUCH stuff to find out there, hidden in those ruins, so many people and stories, and quests, and references, that it just blew my mind. On my first run, for instance SPOILER, I completely missed the forest section of the game, or the alternative radio station....I haven't had as much fun exploring a game since the original Zelda. I never, ever, got bored playing Fallout 3, so in that, our opinions diverge.

The combat was really something that bugged me, as well - especially since IMO combat was never good in the Fallout games to begin with.

Ah well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Hell, it's not like it's the end of the world if someone dares to like a game I don't.

Then again, this IS the internet (which includes sites like NMA), so that might actually be the case for some people.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network

You are not alone. I cannot understand the love this and Oblivion get.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Also, RPGs have always been divisive. Just look at how some people love VIII and some people hate it, ect. Since RPGs are such a personal experience, they lose some of their edge if they appeal to everybody. All great RPGs are inherently niche.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Hmm, I'm an "elitist PC" gamer... and I love fallout 3 on PC. You know why? Something very fundamental that every "elite PC" gamer appreciates, MODS MODS MODS and more MODS.

www.fallout3nexus.com is just awesome.

Right now I'm running a GNR mod that adds an extra 100 songs, a Wanderer's edition that completely overhauls the combat, a NPC mod that adds tons new monsters, and a weapon kit mod that lets me customize my guns. 

Its almost as if I'm playing a different game with these mods.

Why complain about not being able to kill children when you can DL a mod that can fix that... sad there is no nudity... well there is a mod for that too lol, etc.

I can't see how PC gamers can dislike fallout 3, one of the most moddable games that has ever come out recently.

However a fair warning. I'll sound a bit arrogant here, I consider myself quite intelligent and it did take me a while to get all those mods working together in unison, and my Fallout 3 isn't perfectly stable, it does crash once every maybe 2-3 hours. Its not bad, but it will require you to read lots of instructions to get everything working well. So yeah, its not a breeze to add mods like Mount and Blade, but its not too terrible.

Oh btw, am loving the wanderer's edition mod, it adds a sprint function that eats up AP, and it has a bullet time function that also uses AP, makes non vats combat a hell of alot more fun.

So yeah, you can't say you're a true PC gamer unless you appreciate the power of MODS. 

Andante said:

Hmm, I'm an "elitist PC" gamer... and I love fallout 3 on PC. You know why? Something very fundamental that every "elite PC" gamer appreciates, MODS MODS MODS and more MODS.

www.fallout3nexus.com is just awesome.

Right now I'm running a GNR mod that adds an extra 100 songs, a Wanderer's edition that completely overhauls the combat, a NPC mod that adds tons new monsters, and a weapon kit mod that lets me customize my guns. 

Its almost as if I'm playing a different game with these mods.

Why complain about not being able to kill children when you can DL a mod that can fix that... sad there is no nudity... well there is a mod for that too lol, etc.

I can't see how PC gamers can dislike fallout 3, one of the most moddable games that has ever come out recently.

However a fair warning. I'll sound a bit arrogant here, I consider myself quite intelligent and it did take me a while to get all those mods working together in unison, and my Fallout 3 isn't perfectly stable, it does crash once every maybe 2-3 hours. Its not bad, but it will require you to read lots of instructions to get everything working well. So yeah, its not a breeze to add mods like Mount and Blade, but its not too terrible.

Oh btw, am loving the wanderer's edition mod, it adds a sprint function that eats up AP, and it has a bullet time function that also uses AP, makes non vats combat a hell of alot more fun.

So yeah, you can't say you're a true PC gamer unless you appreciate the power of MODS. 

haha I probably use around 30 mods for the PC version and it took me 2 whole days to download, install and test them until I solved all crashing issues (too high rock texture was the main reason.....and some ini changes)

But I actually play the PC version only for shits and giggles. 360 version is the one I really play.