By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 'Avatar' shatters Blu-ray records

FreeTalkLive said:
Amazing graphics and very pro-freedom. People defended property rights and stood up for those that had trouble standing up for themselves. Go freedom!

So you agree that Indians owned their respective parts of North America even though they didn't possess Western-style deeds to the land, and that Europeans stole it from them with violence?  I agree. 

Remember that freedom often entails the opposite of standing up for others, though.  Freedom means capitalists get to act however they want to make money, right?  Do we love freedom THAT much?  Standing up for others is when we exercise our freedoms in such a way as to say "enough," rise up, and bury the capitalists and their private or public military servitors.  Like in Avatar.

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Amazing graphics and very pro-freedom. People defended property rights and stood up for those that had trouble standing up for themselves. Go freedom!

So you agree that Indians owned their respective parts of North America even though they didn't possess Western-style deeds to the land, and that Europeans stole it from them with violence?  I agree. 

Remember that freedom often entails the opposite of standing up for others, though.  Freedom means capitalists get to act however they want to make money, right?  Do we love freedom THAT much?  Standing up for others is when we exercise our freedoms in such a way as to say "enough," rise up, and bury the capitalists and their private or public military servitors.  Like in Avatar.

I mostly agree with the first part of what you said. It was so easy to support the locals in Avatar because not only did the agressors take land and resources (trees, metal) but they also destroyed the house (main tree).

You and capitalists can act as you wish as long as they don't steal from or hurt others, in general.  You have the freedom to control your property and body, generally.  To me, freedom is best explained with the self-ownership principle.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1buym2xUM

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Amazing graphics, rubbish film - wooden acting, laughable script, did not deal with the "natives take back their land" issues/themes as well as any previous films have (e.g. Dances With Wolves), etc. It's strange because on one hand I can see why people are amazed by Avatar, on the other I almost hate it as much as Cameron's previous film, Titantic.

it's funny the people that claim this movie is not over hyped are the ones claiming it is this generations star wars, THAT IN ITSELF IS WAY OVER HYPE!! lol I can see the appeal to the under 16 market but for the men it's just a one off and it's ok movie but won't watch it again

I'll post here since my thread about Avatar isn't getting any posts.

Avatar just broke all records in Australia. It sold over 360,000 copies on day 1. Which is amazing given my countries population of around 22 million. 22% was BR. Which is a seemingly smaller number then in the rest of the world, but the figures overall are fantastic.

Source http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/movies/avatar-dvd-makes-record-sales/story-e6frexli-1225860669125

Around the Network

I got my copy!

Saw it twice in the cinema and watched it twice at home already. For pure entertainment value, nothing can touch this film.

I watched it in a NON IMAX 3D (i.e. with a two colored lens glasses) so not even the visuals impressed me that much. I could feel the mystery and exploration potential of the world, but sadly, that potential remained vastly untapped. Memorable character...erm, erm...nope. Memorable scene...meh. Anyway, good for blu-ray.
And it's not hate, it's voiced dislike.

this is a cash cow, they are releasing this version plus a xmas one with features. (coz thoe one just out has NO features apart from the movie!).
I wonder what the UK numbers are like? Probably similiarly impressive.

Australia number is impressive

Its a blockbuster, but I don't think it really permeated pop culture.
Because of that, I don't really understand how it sold so well. Despite that, I have nothing against the film.

I have yet to see it........

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."