By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 'Avatar' shatters Blu-ray records

Jansky8 said:
It's all good but I really don't understand the hype this movie is getting. A friend of mine bought it on Blu-Ray.So I went to his place and watched it. Sure, it wasn't in 3d, but I certainly was dissapointed. The imagery is nice and the universe they created is "ok" but there are so many better movies (imo of course) who don't get any recognitions it disgusts me. For instance how many of you have seen The heart locker? I am sure way more people saw avatar and whilst I know they aren't the same kind of movies, I would still rate the heart locker way over Avatar. This is a dead issue so please do feel free to answer ;)

I have never seen the "The Heart Locker", but I love the movie "The Hurt Locker".

Around the Network

Avatar was a good movie to watch in the cinema once or twice for the beautiful 3D visuals...Action was good, just that the main storyline was the same as Pocahontas.

To be called the greatest movie ever is kinda stretching it, to be honest.

rafichamp said:
Avatar is this generations Star Wars, both had terrible stories, but amazing visuals which is the main reason why it made so much money.

Yeah, except that SW created a world and legacy that lasted for over 30 years, created what is now called "Hollywood movie", had far superior actors, each of who, became BIG after the movies (Harrison Ford, anyone?) Had a FAR SUPERIOR soundtrack, The Empire Strikes Back had the best kept secret in the whole world, at the time (only George Lucas, the guy who dubbed Vader, and the guy who added the voice knew about it), SW created so many things that are now commonplace in movies, while Avatar, besides from the 3D, isn't that big of a jump from LOTR (And many pepole thought that LOTR was far more impressive when it came out).

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Raistline said:
Jansky8 said:
It's all good but I really don't understand the hype this movie is getting. A friend of mine bought it on Blu-Ray.So I went to his place and watched it. Sure, it wasn't in 3d, but I certainly was dissapointed. The imagery is nice and the universe they created is "ok" but there are so many better movies (imo of course) who don't get any recognitions it disgusts me. For instance how many of you have seen The heart locker? I am sure way more people saw avatar and whilst I know they aren't the same kind of movies, I would still rate the heart locker way over Avatar. This is a dead issue so please do feel free to answer ;)

I have never seen the "The Heart Locker", but I love the movie "The Hurt Locker".

My bad . Anyway, you understood me so that's all that matters. And btw I'm not a native speaker and I didn't see the hurt locker in English.

RageBot said:
rafichamp said:
Avatar is this generations Star Wars, both had terrible stories, but amazing visuals which is the main reason why it made so much money.

Yeah, except that SW created a world and legacy that lasted for over 30 years, created what is now called "Hollywood movie", had far superior actors, each of who, became BIG after the movies (Harrison Ford, anyone?) Had a FAR SUPERIOR soundtrack, The Empire Strikes Back had the best kept secret in the whole world, at the time (only George Lucas, the guy who dubbed Vader, and the guy who added the voice knew about it), SW created so many things that are now commonplace in movies, while Avatar, besides from the 3D, isn't that big of a jump from LOTR (And many pepole thought that LOTR was far more impressive when it came out).

+1 and rafichamp the original trilogy doesn't have a bad story, on the contrary it's a very compelling and epic story not unlike tales of the middle-age. Avatar on the other side is such an actual movie, the greenish side of the movie is so 2010-ish. Star wars' story will never be outdated or out-of-synch, that's why someone like me who was born way after they (the original trilogy) came out can still fall in love with the movies.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
wow, good job avatar. although for my money, i'm holding out for the 3D release.

Me too! That is going to be an amazing experience as many times as u want.

they should release avatar in 3D

ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
elticker said:
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
greatest filmof all-time even thought it deserves way more in box office haullike 3 BILLIONS

Your crazy right :). 3 billion for a movie. That should be thedark knight notavatar :P

AVATAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DARK KNIGHT

Avatar is a breakthrough in the cinema industry look what followed Alice in Wonderland 3d 850$ box office studios will heavely support 3d from now on just look the disney 's line-up Alice in Wonderland march 2010, Prince of Persia may 2010,TOY STORY 3 june 2010 Tron Legacy december 2010 all in 3D

A NEW ERA BEGINS AVATAR just pulled the trigger for Making 3D a mass-sized entertainment 3d was existant in the previous but never had such a feedback from the public

The Dark Knight is a far superior movie to Avatar in plenty of ways. The only thing Avatar has on it is technology. The Dark Knight had better acting, a better story, wonderful characters, etc.

I'm picking mine up today :D

Also it has no bonus features so that the disk can fit more and they can have a higher bit rate and thus a better quality movie. (comes from an interview with James Cameron and some technical people on the launch of the DVD and Blu-ray.)

Amazing graphics and very pro-freedom. People defended property rights and stood up for those that had trouble standing up for themselves. Go freedom!

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org