By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you really like when games have great graphics or do you not care?

Graphics are definitely important, if we're talking about the overall package - the artistic design, how it fits the game, how smooth it runs, etc. There are plenty of games I simply cannot get myself to play due to awful graphics (whether it's the art style, or it simply looks like crap, like many PS1 games).

However, nowadays when we talk about graphics, we tend to refer to the technical aspects - how many pixels on the screen, anti-aliasing, detailed textures, and so on. I could care less about this stuff. To me, a game looking more realistic =/= better graphics, which is my problem with many games nowadays.

For example, I find the whole PS3 vs 360 hardware technical superiority battle ridiculous. As if the minor differences even matter.

Around the Network
c0rd said:

Graphics are definitely important, if we're talking about the overall package - the artistic design, how it fits the game, how smooth it runs, etc. There are plenty of games I simply cannot get myself to play due to awful graphics (whether it's the art style, or it simply looks like crap, like many PS1 games).

However, nowadays when we talk about graphics, we tend to refer to the technical aspects - how many pixels on the screen, anti-aliasing, detailed textures, and so on. I could care less about this stuff. To me, a game looking more realistic =/= better graphics, which is my problem with many games nowadays.

For example, I find the whole PS3 vs 360 hardware technical superiority battle ridiculous. As if the minor differences even matter.

put a "pseudo" in front of "realistic" and i'll sign this ;)

Each form of entertainment are focused (or suposed to) on one thing that makes them unique or greater than the others:

Graphics = for the best visual experience, watch a movie. U can't have better graphics

Music = for the greatest music, go listen to what the industry (and independant) have to offer, there is something for any taste. I'm not saying music in games is bad 'cause i love most of nobuo uematsu and koji kondo's (and many others) works.

Story= for a great story, read a book (not watch a movie 'cause most (hollywood) movies stories sucks anyway)

Gameplay= well, it IS what makes videogames ''unique'' The interaction with what you see on the screen

Since it is gameplay that makes them unique, i think it's important that the industry leans towards greater gameplay than greater graphics. When u have solid gameplay mechanics, the rest becomes secondary.

However, i know that these other aspects can enhance the experience, but the gameplay must be good for that to happen. Even if u have the greatest graphics ever seen but have a crappy gameplay, then this game is a failure, IMO at least.

Games that are visually appealing doesn't necessarily have countless polygons and high quality textures. it's all about art style! The best example is mario galaxy. It's an SD game, with an art style that won't old. The game is colurful and vibrant with breathtaking environment and a bunch of little animations here and there that really makes the game alive. On the opposite side, Crysis, which is very beautiful graphicaly, won't be that pretty in 10 years. It's doesn't have any personality because it doesn't have any art style. It just want to recreate reality as close as possible with actual technology.

I really like it when games have great graphics, but I don't care :)