By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you really like when games have great graphics or do you not care?

Graphics are important and they help create an impression and build the atmosphere. Some games do not need the graphical power behind them to be good (like Tetris)

SO yea Gfx is just the icing for some but core ingredient in others depending on the game and genre

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

For me it is allll about gameplay, lasting appeal and controls. As long as the graphics don't draw down the experience. I find myself prefectly happy playing some last gen games b/c of this. Graphics just don't whoo me.

However, I don't want to discredit the importance of graphics/system power in the gaming world for two reasons. 1) As we are seeing with the wii, if your console is less powerful than the competition, third party developers have to make a 'special' edition. Building good third party relations is important. I think equaling your competitor in a given generation is important. 2) Often times when graphics are improved, physics are also improved upon. Physics add to the GAMEPLAY, which I love. Take for example, MW2. A simple feature like shooting through walls is something that was probably not possible last gen, and adds a new dimension to the game.

I'm probably a minority though.

Thanks guys for replying. I really appreciate it.

Oh and I guess to actually answer the OP (and not mini-rant like I did earlier) both things are true for me. I really like it when a game has great graphics AND I do not care if they don't.

I think graphics do a great deal to create atmosphere and a believable world. And I'm not just talking about creating a photo-realistic world either.

That said, better graphics rarely make a game better. The one exception I can think of, are FPS games that focus on long range combat. Playing Sniper Elite on the PS2 is an exercise in frustration because of it's low resolution. You just can't see enemies at distance, and they can see you pretty well on the harder difficulties. So you are forced to constantly scan the horizon with your binoculars. This isn't an issue on the PC version because you can run the game at higher resolutions. Ditto with games like Ghost Recon and Armed Assault. Running those games at higher resolutions makes for a much more pleasing gaming experience.

Around the Network

Good graphics can make a game with great gameplay even better, but graphics alone cannot redeem a game that plays poorly.

It's all about the game.

I'll play any game as long as it interests me, it doesn't matter if it has nice graphics or not.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

I prefer a game to have good graphics, but I don't require it.

Good gameplay > good artistic direction > good graphics.

Some games have fantastic graphics, but still don't look right because they had horrible artistic direction. And they play even worse.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Yeah if a game has amazing graphics i will play it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I like games with good gameplay. Graphics are most of the time just a bonus. However, the best games utilize good graphics to enhance the gameplay as well, such as games like Super Mario Galaxy, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Dragon Quest VIII, Resident Evil Remake/Resident Evil 4, etc.

Six upcoming games you should look into: