By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you really like when games have great graphics or do you not care?

I don't know why, but a games graphics are so nice to look at that it makes me want to play them.. If  you look at my profile you'll see that all my favorite games have really great graphics and I for some reason like those so much more than other games. Don't get me wrong, I like other games with not ok graphics but they just don't really stick in my head as much as beating assassin's creed 2 compared to Saints Row 2. I'm asking this because there's like 3 messages that I recieved on this site saying that "you games suck because all you look for is graphics." If you don't believe me than see my profile wall and there's 1, you can't see my messages, but there's 3 there. I don't understand why. What's your take on it? Do you care about the graphics?

(oh and 1 more thing, I also care about the stories and replay value, not only graphics)

Around the Network

Graphics can be really cool, but it's much more important to have great gameplay first. If you can do both, that's awesome, but if you just make a game shiny and don't worry so much about a compelling narrative or tight, FUN gameplay, you have a failed game.

They're GAMES people, not movies. To illustrate further, I would say Monopoly (the board game) is more fun than 90% of the games on the HD systems (I'm leaving the Wii out because I don't think anyone would argue that it is "all about the graphics"). I believe that video games have the capability of trouncing board games for fun, the fact that 9 out of 10 games don't shows that there is major problem with the design philosophy. IMO of course.

The guy who wrote the comment on your wall was rude.

If a game look's rubbish, then I have a hard time playing it. No More Heroes is probably one of the best games released this gen but the lack of polish, it's faded look and the amount of jaggies actually hurt my eyes after a while. I can't even play a PS3 or 360 game without a HDMI because it just look's so much better.

This doesn't mean the game has to be new or HD to look good though, I still play my N64 because all my favourite games on it are presented so well that they still look fantastic to this day. I can't say the same for most PS1 games.

If I'm buying a game for my PS3 or 360, then I expect it to look good. Gameplay is important but so is graphics and if a developer want's my money then I expect the best they can do.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I would prefer my games to have good graphics and/or art style, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Some of my favorite games have average to below average graphics. As long as the storyline and gameplay are awesome, I can deal with weak graphics.

CommonMan said:
Graphics can be really cool, but it's much more important to have great gameplay first. If you can do both, that's awesome.

I agree... Graphics are cool but not the most important.

New Super Mario Bros.Wii is a good exemple, graphics are not really awesome for 2010 but the gameplay is perfect so I don't care... Will in HD the game be better ? 

Around the Network

Pretty games- Do not really care. I play many older games and games with little graphical effort put in them. Though yes I do find it nice.

Music- Music can hamper my enjoyment some. If it is really annoying music that is.

Gameplay- This is the biggest thing that matters to me. IF there is bad gameplay but the rest is good I still will not play it for very long if at all.

Story- Unless it is a JRPG I could care less about the story. I can enjoy the quirky ones just as much as the serious ones if not more.

Great graphics never saves a game with bad gameplay, but I would lie if I said I didn't care at all. It's art style that matters to me though, not the technical part.

I really dont care for graphics at all...lately. Especially on consoles considering that the PC games I play look much better than best console games out there.

Its all about how a game engages me with gameplay and story. Deadly premonition for one looks terrible...but the game is awesome and interesting and fun to play. MGS4 on the other hand looked great, but i found it a pain to play through.

They are a nice bonus, but not needed.

PSN ID: KingFate_

People who say graphics don't mean anything are kidding themselves. It's VIDEO games. If the graphics are unappealing or muddy it hampers your gameplay experience.