By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why would Nintendo make their next console before Sony & Microsoft?

Food for though, here's the post-successor 1st party lineups for Nintendo and Sony...

NES (After Super NES launch)

• Adventures of Lolo 3 (Sep 1991)
  • NES Open Tournament Golf (Sep 1991)
  • Yoshi (Jun 1992)
  • Yoshi's Cookie (Apr 1993)
  • Kirby's Adventure (May 1993)
  • Tetris 2 (Oct 1993)
  • Mega Man 6 (Mar 1994)
  • Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge (Mar 1994)
  • Wario's Woods (Dec 1994)

Game Boy (After Virtual Boy launch) 

• Arcade Classics 2: Centipede / Millipede (Aug 1995)
  • Arcade Classics 3: Galaga / Galaxian (Sep 1995)
  • Street Fighter II (Sep 1995)
  • Arcade Classics 4: Defender / Joust (Oct 1995)
  • Killer Instinct (Nov 1995)
  • Vegas Stakes (Dec 1995)
  • Tetris Blast (Jan 1996)
  • Kirby's Block Ball (May 1996)
  • Tetris Attack (Aug 1996)
  • Donkey Kong Land 2 (Sep 1996)
  • Battle Arena Toshinden (Nov 1996)
  • Mole Mania (Feb 1997)
  • The King of Fighters '95 (Feb 1997)
  • Kirby's Star Stacker (Apr 1997)
  • Game & Watch Gallery (May 1997)
  • Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (Oct 1997)
  • Donkey Kong Land 3 (Oct 1997)
  • Samurai Showdown 3 (Aug 1997)
  • James Bond 007 (Feb 1998)
  • Wario Land 2 (Mar 1998)
  • Bomberman GB (Apr 1998)
  • Disney's Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands (May 1998)
  • The King of Fighters '96 (Jun 1998)
  • Pokemon Red / Blue Version (Sep 1998)
  • Pocket Bomberman (Nov 1998)
  • Pokemon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition (Oct 1999)

Super NES (After Nintendo 64 launch)

• Kirby Super Star (Sep 2006)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (Nov 2006)
  • Disney's Pinocchio (Nov 2006)
  • Disney's Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (Nov 2006)
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Dec 2006)
  • Arkanoid: Doh it Again (Oct 2007)
  • Space Invaders (Nov 2007)
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Nov 2007)

Game Boy Color (after Game Boy Advance launch)

• Pokemon Crystal Version (Jul 2001)
  • Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! (Oct 2002)

Game Boy Advance (after Nintendo DS launch)

• Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (Nov 2004)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Jan 2005)
  • Mario Party Advance (Mar 2005)
  • Pokemon Emerald Version (May 2005)
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (May 2005)
  • Wario Ware Twisted! (May 2005)
  • Yoshi Topsy-Turvey (Jun 2005)
  • Dynasty Warriors Advance (Aug 2005)
  • DK King of Swing (Sep 2005)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 (Nov 2005)
  • Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (Nov 2005)
  • Final Fantasy IV Advance (Dec 2005)
  • Mario Tennis Power Tour (Dec 2005)
  • Drill Dozer (Feb 2006)
  • Tales of Phantasia (Mar 2006)
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (Sep 2006)
  • Final Fantasy V Advance (Nov 2006)
  • Final Fantasy VI Advance (Feb 2007)

GameCube (After Wii launch)

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Dec 2006)

PlayStation (after PlayStation 2 launch)

• NFL GameDay 2001 (Oct 2000)
  • NBA ShootOut 2001 (Oct 2000)
  • Cool Boarders 2001 (Oct 2000)
  • Crash Bash (Nov 2000)
  • Disney's The Emperor's New Groove (Nov 2000)
  • NCAA Final Four 2001 (Nov 2000)
  • Disney's Aladdin in Nasira's Revenge (Mar 2001) 
  • MLB 2002 (May 2001)
  • Who Wants to be a Millionaire 3rd Edition (Jun 2001)
  • Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire (Jun 2001)
  • NFL GameDay 2002 (Aug 2001)
  • NBA Shootout 2002 (Sep 2001)
  • Monsters, Inc. Scream Team (Oct 2001)
  • Twisted Metal: Small Brawl (Nov 2001)
  • Syphon Filter 3 (Nov 2001)
  • Disney's Peter Pan in Return to Neverland (Feb 2002)
  • Disney's Lilo & Stitch (Jun 2002)
  • MLB 2003 (Jun 2002)
  • Stuart Little 2 (Jul 2002)
  • C-12: The Resistance (Jul 2002)
  • Disney's Treasure Planet (Nov 2002)
  • MLB 2004 (Mar 2003)
  • NFL GameDay 2004 (Sep 2003)
  • NBA ShootOut 2004 (Sep 2003)
  • MLB 2005 (Mar 2004)

PlayStation 2 (after PlayStation 3 launch)

• SingStar Rocks! (Nov 2006)
  • Rogue Galaxy (Jan 2007)
  • MLB 07: The Show (Feb 2007)
  • God of War II (Mar 2007)
  • SingStar Pop! (Apr 2007)
  • Hot Shots Tennis (Jul 2007)
  • SingStar Amped! (Sep 2007)
  • SingStar '80s (Sep 2007)
  • Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (Sep 2007)
  • NBA 08 (Sep 2007)
  • Buzz! The Mega Quiz (Oct 2007)
  • Buzz! Junior: Jungle Party (Oct 2007)
  • Buzz! Junior: Monster Rumble (Oct 2007)
  • Twisted Metal Head On: Extra Twisted Edition (Feb 2008)
  • MLB 08: The Show (Mar 2008)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (Mar 2008)
  • Buzz! Junior: Robo Jam (Mar 2008)
  • Buzz! The Hollywood Quiz (Mar 2008)
  • SingStar 90s (Mar 2008)
  • SingStar Pop! Vol. 2 (Sep 2008)
  • SingStar Hottest Hits (Sep 2008)
  • NBA 09: The Inside (Oct 2008)
  • SingStar Country (Oct 2008)
  • SingStar Legends (Nov 2008)
  • SingStar ABBA (Dec 2008)
  • MLB 09: The Show (Mar 2009)
  • Secret Agent Clank (May 2009)
  • SingStar Queen (Aug 2009)
  • MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (Oct 2009)
  • Jak & Dexter: The Lost Frontier (Nov 2009)
  • SingStar Latino (Nov 2009)
  • MLB 10: The Show (Mar 2010)

...I'd say GBA probably had it best.  Also a little surprised how much Sony likes to sling the shovelware in their twilight years. O_o

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
Millennium said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Millennium said:
Nintendo would release its next console before Sony and Microsoft if its current console were failing. But there is no sign of this occurring, and thus it makes no business sense to do so.

Then again, they're doing exactly this with the 3DS, and that fact muddies the waters considerably. One would think that Nintendo were smart enough to not cut the knees off of a system at its peak, but this throws the whole idea of Nintendo following common sense into question.

But they could do with portables what Sony did with home consoles, keep on selling the old model for some years after the launch of the next.

Maybe they want to give 3DS the lead in portable 3D, but they know that for some time they'll have to price it too high to be mainstream, maybe the overprice is modest but they know a consistent share of users won't be willing to pay it not caring for 3D, who knows...

If Nintendo is trying to do with portables what Sony did with consoles, then Nintendo is being even more foolish than I had thought. Maintaining the PS2 may well have kept Sony alive during the PS3's dismal early history, but it was also part of the cause for that history in the first place: it took away much of Sony fans' reason to upgrade. The 3DS will suffer similarly if Nintendo keeps the DS around. When you transition from one system to the next, the break has to be a clean one.

The DS didn't suffer from Nintendo still supporting the GBA after its release.

Right. Also because people don't find money on trees, if the new system is expensive and the old one can still be sold in significant amounts at a lower price and profiting, not doing it would mean missed sales, not that people automatically buys the new and more expensive model. Different prices and the generation leap in new features and computing power are enough to make the two products cater for market segments with very little overlapping. Excessive launch price damaged PS3, now that its price is reasonable it sells well even with PS2 still on sale.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Wii is aging more quickly then the other 2 consoles, imagine wii's specs in 2012.

Initiative. This generation is going to be the least certain of any before it, and they need to seize the initiative while they have it, lest Sony and/or Microsoft come out with something more disruptive.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

ClaudeLv250 said:
The people that say Nintendo is going to launch first are the same ones that said the DS and Wii were a fad. In other words, they don't have a firm grip on reality.

I'm not so sure about that.

What if this happens: Sony announces that they are launching a PS3 successor, and right after, Nintendo announces a Wii successor that will launch before the PS3 sucessor.

The reason as for why this could (I mean could, I don't mean that it would) be a smart move is that Nintendo have always suffered from launching after their competitors. NES dominated more than a playstation will ever do, and yet due to allowing the Megadrive some time on the market, Sega almost beat Nintendo until DKC came out and Sega imploded after some stupid moves. Launching N64 late allowed for a window for Playstation to prove that it could sell software that wouldn't have existed if nintendo released first (third parties would probably have gravitated more towards the familiar Nintendo brand as they did with PS2). Gamecube releasing after PS2 also wasn't helpful to nintendo.

Now that Nintendo doesn't value graphics as much anymore, the one benefit for them to launch late is irrelevant. Their strength has always been their software, and since Nintendo systems usually launch with some killer Nintendo games, a Nintendo home console launching before their competitors could be more dangerous than anything we have ever seen. Especially with console sales being avalaunch based and all, and Nintendo's focus towards expanding the market would help too.

The benefits will be:

- First party games will be well-suited to sell the hardware unlike if the launch relied on unpredictable third party software.

- Focus to expand market will (hopefully) give the new platform a big install base.

- Third parties will jump on this big install base. (At least the theoretical and logical third parties would, but I'm not so sure about the real ones....)

- Competitors will have to compete against third party games AND Nintendo games.

If any company could take advantage of a first-mover's advantage properly it should be Nintendo.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

It seems like most people think that Nintendo will release their next console before Sony & Microsoft. I just don't understand that. If anything, they would release their console after Sony & Microsoft. If a console is so successful, why wouldn't you just let it keep selling.  Am I missing something. I don't understand a lot of things, but this just doesn't make sense to me. I know it's going to be out of date but that hasn't stopped from selling 20+mil a year. Please, enlighten me.

Simple pattern recognition - the more powerful a console is, the longer it stays on the market. Why else would the xbox and GC have lasted longer than the PS2? And the N64 longer than the PS1? And the Mega Drive lasting longer than the Snes?

Nintendo has always took there sweet arse time releasing there next console, they usually get delayed alot to lol, im expecting they will launch last again.. and releasing last can be a good thing because you can take a huge chunk out of the competitions sales

well if the ds is any indication we will get 3 or 4 slightly tweaked wii until the final wii doesnt resemble the original wii
case in point the most recent ds has a faster processer that could play games the original could not.....i have no clue whether there are any games that take advantage of that but the point is it is nothing like the original

Alby_da_Wolf said:
thetonestarr said:
Millennium said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Millennium said:
Nintendo would release its next console before Sony and Microsoft if its current console were failing. But there is no sign of this occurring, and thus it makes no business sense to do so.

Then again, they're doing exactly this with the 3DS, and that fact muddies the waters considerably. One would think that Nintendo were smart enough to not cut the knees off of a system at its peak, but this throws the whole idea of Nintendo following common sense into question.

But they could do with portables what Sony did with home consoles, keep on selling the old model for some years after the launch of the next.

Maybe they want to give 3DS the lead in portable 3D, but they know that for some time they'll have to price it too high to be mainstream, maybe the overprice is modest but they know a consistent share of users won't be willing to pay it not caring for 3D, who knows...

If Nintendo is trying to do with portables what Sony did with consoles, then Nintendo is being even more foolish than I had thought. Maintaining the PS2 may well have kept Sony alive during the PS3's dismal early history, but it was also part of the cause for that history in the first place: it took away much of Sony fans' reason to upgrade. The 3DS will suffer similarly if Nintendo keeps the DS around. When you transition from one system to the next, the break has to be a clean one.

The DS didn't suffer from Nintendo still supporting the GBA after its release.

Right. Also because people don't find money on trees, if the new system is expensive and the old one can still be sold in significant amounts at a lower price and profiting, not doing it would mean missed sales, not that people automatically buys the new and more expensive model. Different prices and the generation leap in new features and computing power are enough to make the two products cater for market segments with very little overlapping. Excessive launch price damaged PS3, now that its price is reasonable it sells well even with PS2 still on sale.

The main issue is just that Nintendo staged the new system launch correctly, while Sony didn't. This is why I believe Pokemon Black/White will have 3DS features, to give the 3DS the boost it'd need.

SW-5120-1900-6153

The company that is always last, releases their console first......I could be wrong, cause I can't remember right now.