By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why would Nintendo make their next console before Sony & Microsoft?

if they release innovative technology before their competitors then they're savvvvvvvvvyyyyyy

Around the Network

We can't swear anything for next gen, but this one IMVHO Wii would have got the market and success it got whenever it launched, as competitors just didn't even think that market existed.
If Nintendo keeps on being different and in doing so it finds different things that are appealing for gamers, it could just don't worry about launch time.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Because everyone seems to think the Wii will be the first successful console in history to miraculously drop like a rock in sales all at once, causing Nintendo to release their next console first.

I think it's just wishful thinking. Because it sure isn't logic.

Nintendo would release its next console before Sony and Microsoft if its current console were failing. But there is no sign of this occurring, and thus it makes no business sense to do so.

Then again, they're doing exactly this with the 3DS, and that fact muddies the waters considerably. One would think that Nintendo were smart enough to not cut the knees off of a system at its peak, but this throws the whole idea of Nintendo following common sense into question.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Boutros said:
Because the Wii is the least future proof this gen.

It's actually the most future proof.  Sony and Microsoft had to play catch up with the motion controls, but Nintendo didn't have to play catch up with the pixel count.

Around the Network

Well they are going to release a new DS before psp. Is that good enough? Also unless Sony and MS release a new system before christmas of 2012. Nintendo will be first

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Millennium said:
Nintendo would release its next console before Sony and Microsoft if its current console were failing. But there is no sign of this occurring, and thus it makes no business sense to do so.

Then again, they're doing exactly this with the 3DS, and that fact muddies the waters considerably. One would think that Nintendo were smart enough to not cut the knees off of a system at its peak, but this throws the whole idea of Nintendo following common sense into question.

But they could do with portables what Sony did with home consoles, keep on selling the old model for some years after the launch of the next.

Maybe they want to give 3DS the lead in portable 3D, but they know that for some time they'll have to price it too high to be mainstream, maybe the overprice is modest but they know a consistent share of users won't be willing to pay it not caring for 3D, who knows...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Millennium said:

But they could do with portables what Sony did with home consoles, keep on selling the old model for some years after the launch of the next.

Maybe they want to give 3DS the lead in portable 3D, but they know that for some time they'll have to price it too high to be mainstream, maybe the overprice is modest but they know a consistent share of users won't be willing to pay it not caring for 3D, who knows...

If Nintendo is trying to do with portables what Sony did with consoles, then Nintendo is being even more foolish than I had thought. Maintaining the PS2 may well have kept Sony alive during the PS3's dismal early history, but it was also part of the cause for that history in the first place: it took away much of Sony fans' reason to upgrade. The 3DS will suffer similarly if Nintendo keeps the DS around. When you transition from one system to the next, the break has to be a clean one.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Millennium said:

If Nintendo is trying to do with portables what Sony did with consoles, then Nintendo is being even more foolish than I had thought. Maintaining the PS2 may well have kept Sony alive during the PS3's dismal early history, but it was also part of the cause for that history in the first place: it took away much of Sony fans' reason to upgrade. The 3DS will suffer similarly if Nintendo keeps the DS around. When you transition from one system to the next, the break has to be a clean one.

The DS didn't suffer from Nintendo still supporting the GBA after its release.

SW-5120-1900-6153

The people that say Nintendo is going to launch first are the same ones that said the DS and Wii were a fad. In other words, they don't have a firm grip on reality.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"