By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Demon's Souls Back at 90 on Metacritic.

gekkokamen said:
Barozi said:
gekkokamen said:
Gee, Metacritic is such a MESS. You know, they include so many "foreign" reviews. You may look at one game and find tons of reviews from european sites: italian, swedish, german, portuguese, etc etc. Even reviews to imports (chineses, japanese versions) Isn't Metacritic a site completely written in ENGLISH? I don't know but I think all those reviews from outside USA are out of place. It seems to me Metacritic is an american website. Why do they have to include reviews the majority of their readers (americans) won't know shit about since they're not written in English?

horrible, horrible, horrible post.

Why is that? would you be posting here if you didn't understand English? Would you visit VGC if it was written in a language you didn't understand?

You're asking irrelevant questions. Your claim was that Metacritic is an "American" (because English=American) website (internet geography 101. Get those cyber Mexicans out of our borders!!!), and therefore shouldn't include "foreign" (I have no idea why you used quotation marks) reviews.

The site includes reviews from all countries, because it wants to give a representation of the overall critical reception of the work. It's not trying to be a critic itself, or push an "American" opinion. It's meta-critic. It's just trying to record what ALL the opinions are, not just American.

Around the Network
gekkokamen said:
Barozi said:
gekkokamen said:
Gee, Metacritic is such a MESS. You know, they include so many "foreign" reviews. You may look at one game and find tons of reviews from european sites: italian, swedish, german, portuguese, etc etc. Even reviews to imports (chineses, japanese versions) Isn't Metacritic a site completely written in ENGLISH? I don't know but I think all those reviews from outside USA are out of place. It seems to me Metacritic is an american website. Why do they have to include reviews the majority of their readers (americans) won't know shit about since they're not written in English?

horrible, horrible, horrible post.

Why is that? would you be posting here if you didn't understand English? Would you visit VGC if it was written in a language you didn't understand?

Metacritic translates the conclusion and gives you the score. If you want to know what was in the review, but you don't understand the language, tough luck, use a translating service.

Metacritic is a site for anyone who can read numbers, not just americans. Metacritic gathers scores and opinions on games from professional reviewers, and since those are what metacritic will post on their site, the original language of the review doesn't matter, just as it shouldn't. Why in the world would you disregard an opinion, just because you don't understand the language of the review behind the opinion?

monaco said:
Very terrible game, Sony biased media strikes again

The first time this game has ever been shown, everyone deemed it as a failure. Initials were a bitch as this game fucking owns, and is getting the hype it deserves!

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

^I don't see them including many asian reviews (Japan sites, magazines especially) , now do they?

Oh, and many times games have differences depending on the region version. Let's say an australian version of a game got censored and ruined the experience hence it gets a lower score compared to the NA version. I doubt stuff like that it's reflected on Metacritic, but it affects the metascore anyway.

gekkokamen said:
^I don't see them including many asian reviews (Japan sites, magazines especially) , now do they?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyxii

Weekly Famitsu

10 / 10 / 10 / 10 - 40 [platinum ; Mar 2006]

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/granturismo4/

Weekly Famitsu

10 / 10 / 9 / 10 - 39 platinum [Jan 2005]

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/okami

Weekly Famitsu

10 / 10 / 10 / 9 - 39 platinum

Some games that came to my head

Around the Network

I have the american version and i already pre-order the PAL Black Phanton Edition. Demon's Souls is wonderful!!!

gekkokamen said:

Oh, and many times games have differences depending on the region version. Let's say an australian version of a game got censored and ruined the experience hence it gets a lower score compared to the NA version. I doubt stuff like that it's reflected on Metacritic, but it affects the metascore anyway.

I don't know what the policies are at metacritic, but I'm fairly sure you have to apply to have your reviews put on the site. Seeing as it's written in english, I doubt many non-english speaking asian countries will know or care about the site, when they can't even decipher what our letters mean, and so they don't apply for inclusion.

And using the lack of japanese/asian reviews to say that all other reviews not written in english should not be included is just wrong. Exclude all or exclude non? Except no one is being excluded...

And the case with L4D2, where the australian version is actually worse than what the rest of the world gets, is pretty rare.

Excellent! Demon's Souls definitely deserves AAA status if any game this gen does. I hope it stays there.

Great news!

I expect, with all the European reviewers getting there hands on it, it could go as high as 92

Why is everybody making such a fuss of the Metascore reaching 90? Guys, the game was already one of the top 10 games this generation and you don't need a "metascore" to tell you that. It was "AAA" even before getting the western versions for crying out loud.