By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - south park receives a death threat

So going by this wonderful, incredibly well thought out analogy (presented in an argument here), can we argue that Islam still has a problem with random boners? But Christianity doesn't? Has Christianity moved out of its parents' house yet? I mean...Judaism is much older than either, and it never resorted to terrorism or extreme fundamentalism (to my knowledge). And is someone (unnamed, of course) really defending the actions of Islam because it's younger? Age isn't an excuse. I mean...when will Islam be a religion free of fundamentalism? A couple hundred years? A couple thousand? When will it finally mature and grow up and get a job?

After all, if the older fellow did it when he was a kid, it's perfectly fine for the younger kid to do the same. I'm glad it's that simple.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

So going by this wonderful, incredibly well thought out analogy (presented in an argument here), can we argue that Islam still has a problem with random boners? But Christianity doesn't? Has Christianity moved out of its parents' house yet? I mean...Judaism is much older than either, and it never resorted to terrorism or extreme fundamentalism (to my knowledge). And is someone (unnamed, of course) really defending the actions of Islam because it's younger? Age isn't an excuse. I mean...when will Islam be a religion free of fundamentalism? A couple hundred years? A couple thousand? When will it finally mature and grow up and get a job?

After all, if the older fellow did it when he was a kid, it's perfectly fine for the younger kid to do the same. I'm glad it's that simple.

So you go around saying people should post things that contribute to a conversation, and you manage to post something as reatrded as that? I wish you held yourself up to the same standards you held everyone else on these boards.

But you are right let's send all those 13 year old fuck ups to real jail. That will fix em right on up.

Sometimes you simply amaze me.

mirgro said:
MontanaHatchet said:

So you go around saying people should post things that contribute to a conversation, and you manage to post something as reatrded as that? I wish you held yourself up to the same standards you held everyone else on these boards.

But you are right let's send all those 13 year old fuck ups to real jail. That will fix em right on up.

Yeah, that's right. Call my post retarded because you can't argue with it. Call my post retarded because I called you out on your nonsensical analogy.

You know what? You've been pissing me off ever since you've joined. You're overly aggressive and rude. Sure, you could make the same argument for me (since I'm an asshole), but I at least have an avatar so people can avoid my posts if they want to. With you, we have to read your posts, and then say, "Oh, it's Mirgro, no wonder." Just go away. You're so freakin' annoying.

And what do 13 year olds have to do with anything? I don't even know where that came from. Is that from some argument that occurred weeks or months ago? Please help me understand you.

Comparing Christianity and Islam to people of different ages to justify religious extremism...that's retarded. And it's no more retarded than wondering if Islam stays out late and doesn't complete his homework, or if Christianity is ever going to get up the guts to ask his boss for a raise. With an analogy that silly, anything is possible.

MontanaHatchet said:
mirgro said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Yeah, that's right. Call my post retarded because you can't argue with it. Call my post retarded because I called you out on your nonsensical analogy.

You know what? You've been pissing me off ever since you've joined. You're overly aggressive and rude. Sure, you could make the same argument for me (since I'm an asshole), but I at least have an avatar so people can avoid my posts if they want to. With you, we have to read your posts, and then say, "Oh, it's Mirgro, no wonder." Just go away. You're so freakin' annoying.

And what do 13 year olds have to do with anything? I don't even know where that came from. Is that from some argument that occurred weeks or months ago? Please help me understand you.

Comparing Christianity and Islam to people of different ages to justify religious extremism...that's retarded. And it's no more retarded than wondering if Islam stays out late and doesn't complete his homework, or if Christianity is ever going to get up the guts to ask his boss for a raise. With an analogy that silly, anything is possible.

The 13 year old thing was the answer to your horrible reply, but I guess you just didn't have the capacity to grasp that part. I'll make it especially clear for you next time I talk to you.

I am sorry your sensibilities don't match mine, I guess whay I call calling a spade a spade you call aggressive and rude. Though I don't understand how you can try to act so intellectual when you can't even read 6 letters and need bright colors so you can recognize people.

It would be perfectly silly, if ideaologies throughout history did not mature as time progressed. Every single ideaology in history, whether it is religious, plitical, economic, sociological, or any other form of ideaology, has matured with time. There is no single ideaology that was fine from its creation, and people comparing a clearly older and more refined idea to a younger and rougher idea is just silly. Far sillier than my analogy.

MontanaHatchet said:

I agree with this.Shame someone ended up getting banned.

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network
mirgro said:

Maybe you don't understand how ideaologies work. Ideaologies are what people make them out to be. If the people following it go and kill millions, then the ideaology is bad. By your logic, communism is the greatest thing in the world, and capitalism is utterly the devil. People's doings have proven otherwise. Same goes for religion.

Hold on... aren't you a moral relativist? As such, an absolute statement like this is incredibly hypocritical. Just because you don't like an ideology that gets millions killed doesn't mean that it is bad, because what isn't moral to you may be moral to others... right? Try to at least be consistent, mirgro.

And if ideologies are what people make them out to be, then who is to say what ideologies are inherently "Christian" and which ones aren't? How convenient for you to label certain ideologies as "Christian" just to support your position. This argument is ludicrous.

Check out my band, (the) Fracture Suit!!

http://www.myspace.com/fracturesuit

Have you been enslaved?

mirgro said:
bimmylee said:
mirgro said:

I am well aware what the teachings of Christianity are. That however does not mean that all the listed atrocities were not excused by Christianity. Did you know that Islam actually says that they should never throw the first stone and that God does not love aggressors?

Just like in Christianity, you can interprent different teachings in different ways. So really, Christians acting all high and mighty is utterly the epitomy of conceitedness.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Christians should be the very last ones to assume a moral high ground. Though I call myself a Christian, I consider myself no better than the lowest criminal. Nobody is better than anyone else.

As for the listed atrocities, it is the people who committed them who are not excused for doing what they did, regardless of what they claim their faith is. However, their crimes don't directly discredit Christian teachings. That is my main point. Yes, it makes Christianity look very bad, but the ideology is still solid.

And as far as differing interpretations, that's not as much of a problem as you might think. When Jesus says to "love your enemies", he means exactly that. When Jesus says "you cannot serve both God and Money", he means exactly that. No differing interpretations. Just plain speech.

Maybe you don't understand how ideaologies work. Ideaologies are what people make them out to be. If the people following it go and kill millions, then the ideaology is bad. By your logic, communism is the greatest thing in the world, and capitalism is utterly the devil. People's doings have proven otherwise. Same goes for religion.

They're not following the ideology, they're following a perverse, corrupted version of the ideology. I'm pretty sure it doesn't say "Kill everybody who says Muhammad" in the Qu'ran. Or, if it does (I'm not sure, having never read the Qu'ran), then it can't be taken literally. The Bible has some great teachings, yes. It also has some complete nonsense. You have to take the genera meaning of the religion without listening to everything it says in the holy book, which will inevitably contradict itself anyway.

Come to think of it, all religions (except maybe Buddhism) have some pretty nasty stuff in there.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
mirgro said:
bimmylee said:
mirgro said:

I am well aware what the teachings of Christianity are. That however does not mean that all the listed atrocities were not excused by Christianity. Did you know that Islam actually says that they should never throw the first stone and that God does not love aggressors?

Just like in Christianity, you can interprent different teachings in different ways. So really, Christians acting all high and mighty is utterly the epitomy of conceitedness.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Christians should be the very last ones to assume a moral high ground. Though I call myself a Christian, I consider myself no better than the lowest criminal. Nobody is better than anyone else.

As for the listed atrocities, it is the people who committed them who are not excused for doing what they did, regardless of what they claim their faith is. However, their crimes don't directly discredit Christian teachings. That is my main point. Yes, it makes Christianity look very bad, but the ideology is still solid.

And as far as differing interpretations, that's not as much of a problem as you might think. When Jesus says to "love your enemies", he means exactly that. When Jesus says "you cannot serve both God and Money", he means exactly that. No differing interpretations. Just plain speech.

They're not following the ideology, they're following a perverse, corrupted version of the ideology. I'm pretty sure it doesn't say "Kill everybody who says Muhammad" in the Qu'ran. Or, if it does (I'm not sure, having never read the Qu'ran), then it can't be taken literally. The Bible has some great teachings, yes. It also has some complete nonsense. You have to take the genera meaning of the religion without listening to everything it says in the holy book, which will inevitably contradict itself anyway.

Come to think of it, all religions (except maybe Buddhism) have some pretty nasty stuff in there.

sorry to be boring but great post.Finally we see some common sense!

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

mirgro said:
appolose said:
mirgro said:
mrstickball said:
So Mirgro, how many people died during the Muslim conquests of 632-732? Just curious.

Oh a whole bunch, can't argue that. At the same time, it is only a small fraction when compared to the Inquisition, Crusades, Reformation, and conquering of the Americas. I mean, the Chrst killed off a whole continent of civilizations, that's a very tough act to follow.

Reading through your other responses. I am fully well aware that we are in the 21st century. However, you are trying to compare an 18 year old with a 30 year old in maturity. That is NOT how the world works. The only data we have is how the 30 year-old was when he was also 18 and that is not pretty. The 30 year-old acted far more aggressively and committed far more atrocious crimes than the 18 year-old has done. Going by how the 18 year old is developing, by the time he is 30, he will be a far better person than the current 30 year old, may ever be.

You have zero wiggle room here, ideaologies mature with time just as people do, and Islam is still in its teenage years while Chsristianity is well past its retarded stage, but man was Christianity's retarded stage far more retarded than Islam's current retarded stage.

Furthermore, the only reason you would throw yourself to save someone back in those days is because you were conditioned to do so by someone, back in those days you'd be with the rest of the crowd at throwing stones. Don't flatter yourself.

Also we live in the 21st century with 21st century morals? Please enlighten me what exactly, "2st century morals" are. Because the way I see it the number of Muslims is very close to the number of Christians, and is set to surpass it soon. Are you trying to tell me your morals are somehow "better," or "superior" than theirs? Because if that is how you think, then it is my mistake for getting in this argument with you. I obviously can't have an intelligent argument of this high level with you. If I am wrong in my assumption though, just let me know and I will continue to reply.

I'd just like to point out that Islam,  in its current alleged level of maturity, is not dominant in major world powers, whereas Christianity at that level was.

It's not like they could go invade a continent and wipe out whole civilizations and get away with it at this time.

Yes, because the Christians definitely had the power to annihilate the entire Americas and did not use bio-terrorism at all. Oh wait... what?

The one time they actually tried to use their "dominant world powers" on others was during the Crusades, and they ended up so well for the Christians. The equivalent would be the equivalent of Pakistan nuking the shit out of Europe, or the US, and I don't see that happening soon either. So apparently Muslims are more mindful when they do in fact have a superior power at the same stage of maturity.

The best argument you have is to say that the splits within Islam and the strife they have caused is about as equal as the strife on Christianity, but even then, the Reformation and subsequent treatment of Protestants at the hands of Catholics, and vice versa, throughout Europe is still worse.

I'm not sure I understand your reply.  You would agree that the "Christians"  certainly had the technological edge when they came to the Americas, yes?  But in today's time, what Muslim nation has a technolgical advantage and the power to wipe out other civilizations, as per your example? 

If that's what you meant, at least.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

They should not have shown this in the media. The extreme muslims love this. Show them how much power they have.... And censoring the south Park episode (the last five minuters were horrible with all those beeps btw) already shows that extreme muslims organizations are using Freedom of speech to destroy it.