By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will happen if Monster Hunter tri is a sucess?

What will happen if Monster Hunter tri is a sucess?

Good things will happen :) 123 69.49%

Bad things will happen :( 7 3.95%

I don't want it to be a sucess..... 4 2.26%

I want this on PS3! 8 4.52%

Would've sold better on PS3...... 22 12.43%

Who cares? Wii has the best 3rd party support 13 7.34%

Total:177

Could see MH4 coming to Wii and DS. Thus good things will happen.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
Toddifer said:
Yeah I don't see that much happening. Plus, when you factor in that it's already sold 1 million in Japan (which according to Capcom is disappointing, considering the size of the Wii user base and the popularity of MH), I dunno if I'd call 2 million between US + Others as a massive success. Maybe it's just because in this new era of gajillion-selling games, the definition of 'success' has become just slightly skewed...

Haha, if you wouldn't have had the Wii sign under your avatar, I would have thought you were [forbidden word]:

1 million "According to Capcom disappointing". Reaaalllly? Nonsense, link please or recant. And you do know the Japan version had paid monthly subscriptions, don't you?

"I dunno if I'd call 2 million between US + Others as a massive success" - Nonsense again, do you know how well (or more precisely unwell) the MH franchise has previously done in the west? But don't worry, it won't reach these numbers of 2 million, so you can say it bombed

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
Toddifer said:
Yeah I don't see that much happening. Plus, when you factor in that it's already sold 1 million in Japan (which according to Capcom is disappointing, considering the size of the Wii user base and the popularity of MH), I dunno if I'd call 2 million between US + Others as a massive success. Maybe it's just because in this new era of gajillion-selling games, the definition of 'success' has become just slightly skewed...

Haha, if you wouldn't have had the Wii sign under your avatar, I would have thought you were [forbidden word]:

1 million "According to Capcom disappointing". Reaaalllly? Nonsense, link please or recant. And you do know the Japan version had paid monthly subscriptions, don't you?

"I dunno if I'd call 2 million between US + Others as a massive success" - Nonsense again, do you know how well (or more precisely unwell) the MH franchise has previously done in the west? But don't worry, it won't reach these numbers of 2 million, so you can say it bombed

Well I tried finding a quote about the disappointment in the Japanese sales, and it looks like the article I had read (way back) was actually an interview with a guy from Enterbrain expressing his disappointment, so I guess I'll recant that unless someone else can find something on it? And yes I recognize that the Monster Hunter franchise as a whole has not performed incredibly well in the west, but when you look at the console base between those two massive areas, the bundling opportunites that Nintendo has created, along with the advertising campaign for the game (along with the enticement of the free online multiplayer in the west), then no, I would not consider 2 million between those two regions to be a massive success. I'm merely responding to the initial post on this thread "What will happen if the game does better than expectations and becomes one of the biggest games on the Wii" and then underneath that states "By success I mean like 3 million I guess". I don't think those numbers would make it 'one of the biggest games on the Wii'. I didn't say it would be a bomb if it hit those numbers. I didn't say it would be a disappointment, either. And I hope that it does sell well (I picked up the demo, I'm considering getting the game). This title selling 2-3 million on the Wii is a good thing; it just doesn't make it 'one of the Wii's biggest games'. And please stop making the assumption that everyone who posts an opposing viewpoint is hoping that something 'bombs' or 'fails'. I'm just trying to express a different viewpoint, is all.

Bah!

Toddifer said:
bmmb1 said:
Toddifer said:

Well I tried finding a quote about the disappointment in the Japanese sales, and it looks like the article I had read (way back) was actually an interview with a guy from Enterbrain expressing his disappointment, so I guess I'll recant that unless someone else can find something on it? And yes I recognize that the Monster Hunter franchise as a whole has not performed incredibly well in the west, but when you look at the console base between those two massive areas, the bundling opportunites that Nintendo has created, along with the advertising campaign for the game (along with the enticement of the free online multiplayer in the west), then no, I would not consider 2 million between those two regions to be a massive success. I'm merely responding to the initial post on this thread "What will happen if the game does better than expectations and becomes one of the biggest games on the Wii" and then underneath that states "By success I mean like 3 million I guess". I don't think those numbers would make it 'one of the biggest games on the Wii'. I didn't say it would be a bomb if it hit those numbers. I didn't say it would be a disappointment, either. And I hope that it does sell well (I picked up the demo, I'm considering getting the game). This title selling 2-3 million on the Wii is a good thing; it just doesn't make it 'one of the Wii's biggest games'. And please stop making the assumption that everyone who posts an opposing viewpoint is hoping that something 'bombs' or 'fails'. I'm just trying to express a different viewpoint, is all.

Different viewpoints is fine, what triggered me mostly was the "Capcom disappointment" part which I knew wasn't correct at this point yet you stated it as a fact.

I agree this won't be one of the biggest games on the Wii sales wise, what I am saying though is that it won't even reach anything like the 2 million that you consider unspectacular, and so I foresee your calling it a bomb/disappointment due to that (read most opinions in the MH sales expectations thread - there's hardly anyone there expecting anything like 2 million in the west).

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Monster Hunter has been prowen a success in the West and MH4 will be released on 360 and PS3. Wii will probably see more ports and games we don't want

Around the Network

Best case scenario is nothing happens.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

3m wouldn't change anything really. 3rd parties would say Nintendo did a bang-up job of promoting it and it wouldn't have succeeded otherwise. They'll also consider it an anomoly.

Now if it does CoD:MW or GTA success then that changes everything. That would force 3rd parties to reconsider their entire view of the Wii audience.

However, I can't see MH3 doing better than 2-3m ltd and Capcom will be very happy with numbers like that, although maybe it could've sold more on PS3 but a Wii version can be downscaled to PSP later which a PS3 version could not and that's probably worth more.

At bmmb1 - I see where you're coming from. Just reiterating I certainly wouldn't consider 2 million in the West a 'bomb', but I also don't think you'd see third parties start looking at the Wii again differently (at least in terms of a 'hardcore' viable platform). Plus I think there will likely be a group of people that will be convinced that the game would always have done better on the 360 or PS3. I just hope Tri does well. Been hearing good things about it, will probably get it in the near future.

Bah!

In (most of) the minds of the 3rd party, the wii is casual only. They made up their mind a long time ago.

Whatever happens, doesn't matter. Not to say, that MH3 isn't great.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

how about nonthing?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO