By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and Sony are the best at platforming

Seeing as the debate rages on I'll throw in my two cents worth to contribute to the weight of evidence. I know it's blasphemy to speak against the great and almighty Wiki but Uncharted isn't a platformer.

Game genres are determined by the predominate gameplay mechanic but are not defined by the mechanics that may appear in parts of the game.

Buster Busts Loose was a great platformer back in the SNES days. A genuine 90%+ game where 1/6 of the entire game time was a spent playing football. Should it be called a sports or have been allowed to be nominated in the best sports game category for GOTY?

If Uncharted wasn't nominated as a best platformer in GOTY by any of the major publications then it isn't a platformer.

Around the Network

Quote hsrob Uncharted isn't a platformer.
i didn't think it was. i see it as more of a adventure shooter. so is Lara Croft: Tomb Raider a plat former.

It's in Nintendo's DNA, so yeah Nintendo.

nordlead said:

Ubisoft made a better platformer in Prince of Persia, than Sony did in Uncharted. If we are going to insist that Uncharted is a platformer than it might just bump Ubisoft over Sony.

Rayman 1-2 alone alone likely puts them i the top 10 all time imo.  Man, I'd kill for a REAL Rayman 4. :/

Uncharted, Tomb Raider, and Prince of Persia are platformers?

You learn something new every day.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
amp316 said:

Uncharted, Tomb Raider, and Prince of Persia are platformers?

You learn something new every day.

Don't forget about Ico and Shadow of Collossus too. (see page 1) I bet you didn't know that either.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Platformer is a game where it revolves around jumping from platform to platform. Uncharted has locations where its clearly a platformer, but its so much more, so i wouldn't call it a platformer.

The old Ratchet and Clanks where definitely platformers, but today it feels more like a shooter than a platformer. Is Contra a platformer? No it is a shooter, yet it has some jumps, so thats why Ratchet and Clank aren't platformers anymore. The first Jak and Daxter is definitely a platformer, the other 2 are platformers, but they are also open world games and shooters. Is Crackdown a platformer?

Ico is a puzzle game, it has some platforming to i know, but so does Zelda. Shadow of the Colossus is definitely not a platformer. LBP is a platformer, but if you take out the level customization it really isn't a good game, so its not the platforming that makes it great but rather the rest.

Sony platformers: Crash, Some Ratchets not all and Jak 1.

hsrob said:
Seeing as the debate rages on I'll throw in my two cents worth to contribute to the weight of evidence. I know it's blasphemy to speak against the great and almighty Wiki but Uncharted isn't a platformer.

Game genres are determined by the predominate gameplay mechanic but are not defined the mechanics that may appear in parts of the game.

Buster Busts Loose was a great platformer back in the SNES days. A genuine 90%+ game where 1/6 of the entire game time was a spent playing football. Should it be called a sports or have been allowed to be nominated in the best sports game category for GOTY?

If Uncharted wasn't nominated as a best platformer in GOTY by any of the major publications then it isn't a platformer.

Holy Shit!  A Buster Busts Loose reference!

*High Five*

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
hsrob said:

Game genres are determined by the predominate gameplay mechanic but are not defined the mechanics that may appear in parts of the game.

*High Five*

I am ashamed to say I had almost forgotten about this gem until it was brought up in another thread a few weeks ago, probably by you ;)

hsrob said:
theRepublic said:
hsrob said:

*High Five*

I am ashamed to say I had almost forgotten about this gem until it was brought up in another thread a few weeks ago, probably by you ;)

No, wasn't me.

But I am one of only 33 people who own the game on this site.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)