By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #2 -- Rate FF8!!

I'd go 8/10.

In a lot of ways worse then FF7... but in some ways better... and really, the rest of the game brings down Triple Triad.

If it was JUST the Triple Triad game i'd give it an 8.5

Around the Network

8.7 - The junction/draw magic system drags it down. Other than that, great game.

Man With The Machine Gun FTW :)

RolStoppable said:
3/10

One of the worst FF games and broken in so many ways. If you play it for the first time you have to deal with minute long G.F. sequences a lot and drawing magic from enemies to boost your stats is tedious as hell. If you know your way around you can make your characters insanely powerful early on in the game. Either way, you may question why you are wasting time on this mess. There are jusf that many JRPGs better than this.

Typically for FF, the music is good, so it bumps up the score.

Even the Triple Triad couldn't save it???

RolStoppable said:
@Fab_GS

People thinking that Triple Triad is better than FF VIII itself just shows how poor of a game it really is.

LMAO

Around the Network

3/10

FFVIII was one of the first JRPGs that I have ever played, and it left a really really bad impression on me.
Almost eveything in the game is completely abstract and and the structure of the game is utter nonsense.
Draw magic to boost weapons and stats?
Junction a huge monster (Call them GFs or Summons or Espers or whatever, I'm a noob to the FF series, so I just see them all as huge monsters) to your character because otherwise he/she can't use items.
Magic is drawn from enemies and there is no mana.
Seriously, did square enix even consider that SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF HAS A LIMIT!
I like the guardian force attacks though, they look nice, but they become tedious after using them a few times.
However, another thing that simply breaks the universe for me. How can a low level SeeD candidate be able to command a huge monster? More nonsense, that's why!
The music boosts the game with +2 points.

I have ordered an imported american copy of FFVI/FFIII. Perhaps that game will redeem my experience with FFVIII.

I LOVE ICELAND!

This is probably my least favorite of the ones I've played.

• I hate the main character, he's worse than Cloud
  • the battle mechanics were interesting but not that fun
  • The card game was the most fun part of the game
  • The story was just stupid

3/10

RolStoppable said:
@Fab_GS

People thinking that Triple Triad is better than FF VIII itself just shows how poor of a game it really is.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL!

@g-Value

WOW LOVE THAT THEME

The Letting you play as Laguna were AMAZING & then that battle theme that came up....it was so cool and something out of an old classic movie. Then the scenes in the bar in Deling City were awesome too...and the music.

Laguna should have been the main character!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

RolStoppable said:
So the general consensus so far is a score of 3/10. What a bad game this is!

Don't do that, you know better

Zero out of ten. Storyline is shit, characters are shit, combat is shit.