By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Welcomes Five New Reviewers!

Jesus Gonzalez? Awesome.

Around the Network

Congrats

Congrats!! I wish be like you guys

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Faxanadu said:
FootballFan said:
Wow! I would have thought a lot of them would have been active people in the community, most don't have a single post!

I actually have to agree.

Don't you think it would be stranger if we looked at the amount of posts for reviewers?  I'm happy that we just look at writing ability and console access instead of only going for people that are well known and active in the community, if that was our policy I probably wouldn't be a reviewer either.

OT: congrats to our five new reviewers, if you're reading this and haven't gone to the mod forums to sign up for May games then hurry up and do it.  Thread will be locked on the 23rd, also please AIM me to tell me your consoles.  AIM: Caucasianinja

Torillian said:
Faxanadu said:
FootballFan said:
Wow! I would have thought a lot of them would have been active people in the community, most don't have a single post!

I actually have to agree.

Don't you think it would be stranger if we looked at the amount of posts for reviewers?  I'm happy that we just look at writing ability and console access instead of only going for people that are well known and active in the community, if that was our policy I probably wouldn't be a reviewer either.

OT: congrats to our five new reviewers, if you're reading this and haven't gone to the mod forums to sign up for May games then hurry up and do it.  Thread will be locked on the 23rd, also please AIM me to tell me your consoles.  AIM: Caucasianinja

I imagine people are generally worried that people are just signing up so they can appear on the front page, get some free stuff and don't care about the comminity or site at all.

Of course, such concerns are misguided.  Afterall you guys have gone past "fun site community addition" into making Vghcartz reviews as serious and professional as any other website out there.  This can be seen by the addition to Gamerankings and the Metacritic consideration.

I doubt IGN, Gamespot or any other big gaming website even knows if the people who apply for review jobs have forum accounts.  Heck, if they do, they probably see it better if they DON'T have a heavy forum presense because that makes it less likely the reviewer is going to say something that will make an ass of himself and hurt the integrity of his reviews and in doing so, hurt the integrity of the websites reviews in general.

It is understandable though, most of these people being here since the review system began from it's humble origins.

Around the Network

Indeed, post count is not a factor in applying for a reviewer position on VGChartz. It's like applying for a job. We can't just hire internally, when there's lots of external talent too. We took the reviewers our editors voted were best suited for our available positions, based solely on the quality of the writing sample submitted.

Hey guys, first of all thank you for all your well wishes and congratulations. It's always nice to read something like that:).

A quick introduction I think is necessary, it's also polite too.

So my name is Grahame Gallacher, I'm 25 and a journalism student in Glasgow, Scotland. I have one more year ofmy course to go and have applied to move to Japan in 2011 and teach English over there while doing my freelance games journalism as a way of breaking into the industry proper.

I've been playing games since I was a toddler bashing keys on my dad's ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64. I currently own (in no specific order) a PS3, 360, PSP go, Wii and my faithful gaming laptop. Yes, I was one of the four people in the UK who got a PSP go for Christmas and actually like it, in fact I love it.

Those of you with concerns about post count, please don't think I'm jumping onto VGC for some free "swag" and some publicity. I'm here because this journalism is my chosen profession and VGC is a site I think I can write some good stuff for to a wider audience than I had available previously.

So there you go, that's me. I will now be as active as I can in the VGC forums (once exams are over and summer hits I'll have far more free time) and feel free to say hi and talk games.

G

I like this. I prefer external reviewers over our well-known people because it will hopefully remove the fear of console bias in reviews.

@ Grahame

I expect high quality journalism from you in the future then, and none of that so-called journalism we see so much of in this industry these days

Grahame said:
Hey guys, first of all thank you for all your well wishes and congratulations. It's always nice to read something like that:).

A quick introduction I think is necessary, it's also polite too.

So my name is Grahame Gallacher, I'm 25 and a journalism student in Glasgow, Scotland. I have one more year ofmy course to go and have applied to move to Japan in 2011 and teach English over there while doing my freelance games journalism as a way of breaking into the industry proper.

I've been playing games since I was a toddler bashing keys on my dad's ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64. I currently own (in no specific order) a PS3, 360, PSP go, Wii and my faithful gaming laptop. Yes, I was one of the four people in the UK who got a PSP go for Christmas and actually like it, in fact I love it.

Those of you with concerns about post count, please don't think I'm jumping onto VGC for some free "swag" and some publicity. I'm here because this journalism is my chosen profession and VGC is a site I think I can write some good stuff for to a wider audience than I had available previously.

So there you go, that's me. I will now be as active as I can in the VGC forums (once exams are over and summer hits I'll have far more free time) and feel free to say hi and talk games.

G

Hi Grahame, nice to meet you too.

I am looking forward to you being part of this community, as knowing how you post and argue and what your view points and likes and dislikes in gaming are will help me understand how to look at your reviews and take them in the context of your and mine gaming preferences.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.