By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How does Nintendo manage to do it so often

Scoobes said:
kjj4t9rdad said:
Scoobes said:
kjj4t9rdad said:
Scoobes said:
So many different reasons:

- Nintendo create games by concentrating and nailing the gameplay and game mechanics first to ensure they're easily accessible to a large audience. Everything else is secondary.
- Reusing well-known and popular characters for the past 20 yrs. Everyone knows Mario and Yoshi etc. so why not use them to sell a game in another genre?
- Linked to the last point, superb advertising and marketing.
- Not over-saturating your franchises with too many titles in too short space of time. Unlike Call of Duty and other franchises, you don't get that many Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash Bros. games in a gen and Nintendo let the games sell for as long as possible.
- Linked to the first point: the games are targeted at the largest demographic possible meaning a much larger customer base.

What?  There are way more mario games than Call of Duty games.  I would be willing to bet that there are more mario games this gen than CoD has in its entire history.  I could be wrong, if I am, I'm sure the number is very close.

Lots of games with Mario as a character and selling point, yes, hence the comment about reusing popular characters. Now look at the gameplay mechanics of each of those games:

• Mario Galaxy: 3D platformer
  • New Super Mario Bros.: 2D platformer
  • Mario Kart: Weapons based Kart racer
  • Super Smash Bros. : Non-traditional beat em up
  • Mario & Sonic @ the Olympics/Winter Olympics: OK 2 games, but family sports titles with range of different gameplay options
  • Super Paper Mario: 2D/3D mix

Now look at Call of Duty:

• CoD 1-3 & WaW: World War 2 pseudo realistic FPS
  • COD4 & MW2: Modern setting pseudo realistic FPS

Which is more likely to oversaturate its fanbase? Although there a lot of Mario games, the gameplay and mechanics in each is different to the next. And CoD is now an annual release making things worse for that particular franchise.

Yes the game mechanics are different, but they are Mario games.  Whether you over-saturate the actual game or the character makes little difference.  The vast majority of people don't look at Mario Galaxy as a 3D platformer and NSMB as a 2D platformer, they look at them as Mario games

But the game mechanics mean the difference between a series becomming stale and a series continuing strong. More so than the character, especially one so simple and with the universal appeal of Mario. The character of Mario is simply for brand recognition. If the game mechanics stayed the same in all Mario games then Mario would have died out long ago. If the character had changed but the game mechanics stayed the same those games would still die out.If you had diverse game mechanics without Mario, the games would sell, but not as much as they do now.

By having Mario on a diverse array of products you keep the games fresh for consumers whilst giving all games with his name immediate brand recognition. Most other franchises haven't been able to do this.

This is called milking a franchise.  Ninty does this with much more success than anybody else.  They put mario in every genre they can to use the brand recognition to sell other games.  I find it funny that companies like Activion get bashed for putting out a million Guitar hero games but Ninty is praised for doing the same thing.

Around the Network
Tayne said:
Less focus on 'epic' and more focus on 'fun'.

DISAGREE! A game can be epic and sell very well - Galaxy is epic in certain phases (Bowser's battles, Volcano explodes) and really fun.

Nintendo games are just magical. They appeal to everyone, everybody can find its own genre and be satisfied through it and their games are much more "fun" in a way than any other companies.

kjj4t9rdad said:
Scoobes said:

But the game mechanics mean the difference between a series becomming stale and a series continuing strong. More so than the character, especially one so simple and with the universal appeal of Mario. The character of Mario is simply for brand recognition. If the game mechanics stayed the same in all Mario games then Mario would have died out long ago. If the character had changed but the game mechanics stayed the same those games would still die out.If you had diverse game mechanics without Mario, the games would sell, but not as much as they do now.

By having Mario on a diverse array of products you keep the games fresh for consumers whilst giving all games with his name immediate brand recognition. Most other franchises haven't been able to do this.

This is called milking a franchise.  Ninty does this with much more success than anybody else.  They put mario in every genre they can to use the brand recognition to sell other games.  I find it funny that companies like Activion get bashed for putting out a million Guitar hero games but Ninty is praised for doing the same thing.

It's not the same thing at all, that's what you don't get.

Every single Guitar Hero game has the same core gameplay nothing changes beyond the track list which is why people are getting tired of Guitar Hero games, they know it's the same old thing again and again.

Your comparison would make sense if every Mario game played exactly the same with just some new stages every time Nintendo released one.

Signature goes here!

kjj4t9rdad said:
RolStoppable said:
"The vast majority of people don't look at Mario Galaxy as a 3D platformer and NSMB as a 2D platformer, they look at them as Mario games."

You need to replace "people" with "Nintendo detractors". People actually see 2D and 3D Mario platformers as entirely different games, that's why there's such a massive difference in sales. This will be proved again when SMG2 falls far short of 10m while at the same time NSMB Wii goes on to easily pass 20m.

If people really viewed 2D and 3D Mario platformers simply as "Mario games", then pretty much everyone who liked NSMB Wii should also buy SMG2. Not gonna happen, especially because there are oldschool 2D Mario fans who call 3D Mario "not a (real) Mario game".

No I don't.  If I was talking about the people on this site you would be correct, but I'm talking about gamers as a whole.  And yes most people don't know the difference between 2d, 3d platformers, 1st person or 3rd shooters, nor do they care.  They play games that they find fun.  It has nothing to do with being a Nintendo detrator (as you put it).  Just because people view them as mario games doesn't mean they are going to buy every Mario game.  It's ridiculous to make that assumtion.

There could be a million reasons why NSMB outperforms MG, 4 player co-op,  retro appeal from the nes and snes owners or simply its just a better games than MG.  But it doesn't change the fact that they are both Mario games.

I'm not disputing that there are "oldschool and hardcore" people who know the difference and even consider 3d mario not "real" but they are in the minority, by a lot.

Consumers are not deaf, dumb, and blind sheep.

It is very easy to tell the difference between 2D Mario, 3D Mario, one of the Mario sports games, Mario Party, or a Mario RPG.  That is why they sell so very differently.  Even uninformed consumers see the box art and the title of the game.

Then there is this thing known as word of mouth.  While the word of mouth on Galaxy was great, that game just doesn't appeal to as wide an audience.  It seems too complicated.  When someone sees NSMB Wii, it is instantly recognizable how the game is played.  That opens it up to a much wider audience, which also helps to spread the fantastic word of mouth that game got.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

It really is quite special, what they do. They just seem to have the touch!

Bah!

Around the Network

because casual gamers buy casuel games....nintendo is dead to me since 64

TruckOSaurus said:
kjj4t9rdad said:
Scoobes said:

It's not the same thing at all, that's what you don't get

Every single Guitar Hero game has the same core gameplay nothing changes beyond the track list which is why people are getting tired of Guitar Hero games, they know it's the same old thing again and again.

Your comparison would make sense if every Mario game played exactly the same with just some new stages every time Nintendo released one.

It is the same thing.  Guitar hero has 3 different game mechanics with Guitar hero, world tour and DJ hero.  It is just not done to the extent of Mario.  They are using an established name to sell something different. The difference is Activision is milking one genre with GH,  while Ninty is milking every genre they can with Mario.

There are a shit ton of Mario Kart games, there are a shit ton of 2d mario games and every other genre ninty has put Mario in.  Like I said before, Ninty does this with much more success than anybody else.  I didn't say it was a bad thing.

Because unlike other companies they take their time to polish their games, to find the balance to make fun for everyone.
Because they know when they fail and learn from their mistakes and that reflects in their works.
Because they don't see customers as milking cows nor retards unlike 3d parties and MS and sony.
Because they know that a happy satisfied customer has more future for them than a happy for 15 minutes one.
Because they do love what they do and that shows it in their products.

kjj4t9rdad said:
TruckOSaurus said:
kjj4t9rdad said:
Scoobes said:

It's not the same thing at all, that's what you don't get

It is the same thing.  Guitar hero has 3 different game mechanics with Guitar hero, world tour and DJ hero.  It is just not done to the extent of Mario.  They are using an established name to sell something different. The difference is Activision is milking one genre with GH,  while Ninty is milking every genre they can with Mario.

There are a shit ton of Mario Kart games, there are a shit ton of 2d mario games and every other genre ninty has put Mario in.  Like I said before, Ninty does this with much more success than anybody else.  I didn't say it was a bad thing.

It really isn't. How many Guitar Hero games have come out this gen? and with very little to differentiate between one game to the next. The very core mechanics remains the same in all cases with only subtle changes. There's been at least 1 "X Hero" type game every year released by Activision.

Now, how many Mario Kart games have released this gen?

How many 2D Mario games have been released this gen?

How many 3D Mario games have been released this gen?

How many Smash Bros. titles have been released?

If you actually look at how many games of a specific mechanic are released, it's actually not that much on a generation to generation basis. This makes a huge amount of difference. As I said the mechanics of these games are most important. You can argue that they've released huge number of 2D Mario platforming games (I count 7 on main consoles- not including Mario RPG or Donkey Kong), but that's in the space of 20 years.

You can argue that the Mario character is "whored" out, but the fact remains that without Mario, the vast majority of the games would still sell well (although not as much as with Mario) and be successful just because they have good quality gameplay and are readily accessible.

theRepublic said:
kjj4t9rdad said:
RolStoppable said:
"The vast majority of people don't look at Mario Galaxy as a 3D platformer and NSMB as a 2D platformer, they look at them as Mario games."

You need to replace "people" with "Nintendo detractors". People actually see 2D and 3D Mario platformers as entirely different games, that's why there's such a massive difference in sales. This will be proved again when SMG2 falls far short of 10m while at the same time NSMB Wii goes on to easily pass 20m.

If people really viewed 2D and 3D Mario platformers simply as "Mario games", then pretty much everyone who liked NSMB Wii should also buy SMG2. Not gonna happen, especially because there are oldschool 2D Mario fans who call 3D Mario "not a (real) Mario game".

No I don't.  If I was talking about the people on this site you would be correct, but I'm talking about gamers as a whole.  And yes most people don't know the difference between 2d, 3d platformers, 1st person or 3rd shooters, nor do they care.  They play games that they find fun.  It has nothing to do with being a Nintendo detrator (as you put it).  Just because people view them as mario games doesn't mean they are going to buy every Mario game.  It's ridiculous to make that assumtion.

There could be a million reasons why NSMB outperforms MG, 4 player co-op,  retro appeal from the nes and snes owners or simply its just a better games than MG.  But it doesn't change the fact that they are both Mario games.

I'm not disputing that there are "oldschool and hardcore" people who know the difference and even consider 3d mario not "real" but they are in the minority, by a lot.

Consumers are not deaf, dumb, and blind sheep.

It is very easy to tell the difference between 2D Mario, 3D Mario, one of the Mario sports games, Mario Party, or a Mario RPG.  That is why they sell so very differently.  Even uninformed consumers see the box art and the title of the game.

Then there is this thing known as word of mouth.  While the word of mouth on Galaxy was great, that game just doesn't appeal to as wide an audience.  It seems too complicated.  When someone sees NSMB Wii, it is instantly recognizable how the game is played.  That opens it up to a much wider audience, which also helps to spread the fantastic word of mouth that game got.

I never said consumers were dumb, blind or deaf.  I said they don't know and don't care about what genre a game is.  To put it another way, the people you speak of in your last paragraph, if you asked them if NSMB was a 2d platformer or a retro mario game, what do you think the answer would be? 

Again, just because Mario is in the title doesn't mean everything is going to sell the same, I never said it would. 

Even an idiot can look at MG and NSMB and see they are different, but that doesn't mean that they know that one is a 2d platformer and one is a 3d platformer.  People like us who debate pointless crap about games are by far in the minority.  Most people just simply don't know and don't care, they just want to play games as a way to relax and have fun.