By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First Day Sales in Japan (No More Heroes PS3/360)

I think the key point here is that we've had two years of 'it would have sold better on PS3/360' (not a few thousand better, tens, if not hundreds of thousands better), so here is that chance to prove it.

If the audience for this type of game isn't on the Wii (which was the argument as to why it didn't sell that well), but it is on the other two consoles, thus making it more likely to sell, then both individual versions should have outsold the original comfortably. It being two years late is irrelevant in this scenario, as it would only just be reaching it's target audience and finally being given a chance to reach its potential...

Furthermore, as I've said already, you cannot go 360+PS3 v Wii, it has to be individual or all three combined. It is a port. It has slightly upgraded graphics, but it sacrifices motion control. That is an even trade off. Doing so would also make a mockery of every single fanboy 'my version sold better than your version' flame war in internet history... Are we really supposed to believe that after years of that we're now going to combine 2 platforms v 1? Get real.

VGChartz

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
You guys always compare HD vs. Wii. HD is a resolution, not a platform. Combining two skus just to beat one, is not cool at all. Makes you all look desperate.

If 2 games are pretty much identical in every aspect, made by the exact same studio and released at the exact same time on 2 of the most similar systems ever... Why shouldn't the 2 versions of the game be combined? I bet that the developers will combine PS3 and 360 sales of the game... So why shouldn't we?

I wonder what you will be like if/when the PS3 version alone bests the Wii versions 11,703 week 1 sales...

So in gen's of the past we were doing it wrong?  We should combined sales of Genesis and SNES, N64 and PS1, PS2-Gamecube-XBox?

That doesn't make sense, Carl.  Doesn't matter if it's the same game, only publishers care about total units sku.  For you all to do it for sales purposes just make you all look desperate to turn a flop into a success.

Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
You guys always compare HD vs. Wii. HD is a resolution, not a platform. Combining two skus just to beat one, is not cool at all. Makes you all look desperate.

If 2 games are pretty much identical in every aspect, made by the exact same studio and released at the exact same time on 2 of the most similar systems ever... Why shouldn't the 2 versions of the game be combined? I bet that the developers will combine PS3 and 360 sales of the game... So why shouldn't we?

I wonder what you will be like if/when the PS3 version alone bests the Wii versions 11,703 week 1 sales...

Umm very simple. At the time of NMH's Japan debut, Wii userbase was 4 million. PS3 Japan userbase is 5 million.

Read the highlighted red.

So now the userbase argument doesn't matter because it's favorable to the Wii?  See Carl, how can you be so blinded by your own bias!

The ports are disappointing according to those who bought it. They say it's better to buy the wii version. the ps3/360 ports got horrid load time...
           PS3V  360V
Getting out of shops    20s  50~60s
Mission start   17s   20s
Mission over   14s   21s
Going into home    16s   27s
Getting out of home   18s   19s

the game freezes a lot too, installing to HDD on 360 doesn't make any difference, the ps3 version looks faster however it's still slower than Wii version, saving also takes a long time, you need to save a lot cus the game freezes quite frequently.

source: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/258692.html (Japanese)

I guess Suda really don't want to make NoH on other consoles hehe

Currently Playing: Devil Survivor 2 (NDS)

Can't you guys just declared it bombed already?
This is confusing me.

Around the Network

at least I don't think they will outsell the wii version individually

Kenology said:
Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:

Umm very simple. At the time of NMH's Japan debut, Wii userbase was 4 million. PS3 Japan userbase is 5 million.

Read the highlighted red.

So now the userbase argument doesn't matter because it's favorable to the Wii?  See Carl, how can you be so blinded by your own bias!

Nah, i only said it looked desperate because it's a difference of 1 Million consoles.

It's like saying the Wii version of Modern Warfare should have outsold the 360 version, because it launched on a much bigger userbase.

smbu2000 said:
Wow, I wasn't expecting such a huge debate about this game when I came on here.

Anyway, apart from the longer load times (Wii version loads faster) the game isn't really too much different. I picked up the 360 version (and I already had the JP Wii version). The controls are a bit awkward to get used to (using the right stick for a lot of stuff), but otherwise the game is still fun. I've only gotten through the first two "bosses", but I'm enjoying the 360 port.

It's nice being able to switch the voices to Japanese. (The Wii version was English only) Travis' JP voice actor is the same guy who voices Roronoa Zoro in One Piece & Mugen in Samurai Champloo, so it's cool hearing him doing the voice.

Other than those differences there isn't really any reason to pick up the new version instead of the Wii version though. (The PS3 has one less difference since that one is censored like the JP Wii version, the 360 version is uncensored like the USA Wii version)

Are you playing the game on a NTSC-J 360? All the reports I've heard thus far was that the game was region-locked. :(

Btw the people here who are saying that HD is the way to go for these type of games as opposed to the Wii, keep in mind that development costs for HD games are much higher than Wii games. So No More Heroes would have to sell a lot more on the HD consoles than they have on the Wii to acheive the same financial results. That matters a lot to publishers. Marvelous Entertainment would still be in financial trouble if they debuted No More Heroes on the Ps360 in late 2007 instead of the Wii. In fact they'd probably be in even more financial trouble given the extra costs they'd have to cover with development.

Japanese publishers like Marvelous are better off releasing uninsipired kawaii desu ne anime jrpg #678 on the DS/PSP than releasing a much more risky game like No More Heroes or Deadly Premonition. As a gamer, I'm happy that there are companies like Marvelous willing to take risks to bring us great games. But if I actually owned Marvelous Entertainment and made decisions from a burely business perspective, I wouldn't have published No More Heroes or Deadly Premonition in the first place. Marvelous needs to publish profitable games. And No More Heroes doesn't have enough appeal in Japan to generate the revenue needed to cover costs. Even on the Wii. No More Heroes was a success in the west but the game was published by Ubisoft over there. How much of a cut did Marvelous get out of North American sales? Ubisoft, as the North American publisher, probably pocketed the lion's share of the revenue for themselves.

routsounmanman said:
Am I reading this correctly? You're all actually betting on this game outselling the original by mere thousands of units? I could understand the notion if the difference was in the hundreds of thousands, but now, it's just stupid.

Also, double-standard-issimo FTW!!!

Where is the double standard?  For example, nobody expected the Wii version of COD4 to sell more than five times the original versions LTD on the first day.  Which is pretty much what you seem to require for it to be noteworthy.

ElGranCabeza said:
Soriku said:
ElGranCabeza said:
For people talking about the Wii sales of NMH compared to the PS3 and 360 sales of the same game. I don't think that's fair, it's a 2 year old port, very rarely do old ports pull a TOV and double the original sales. The real real interesting game I wanna see in Japan is Basara 3, releasing on the same day - 29/07 - for both PS3 and Wii. The PS3 version is 10 or 15 bucks more expensive, but has better graphics, everything else is the same.

Sengoku Basara 3 has online for PS3 only.

Awww ok, I've been told online is not really that big in Japan as it is in the west so that might not be really relevant but either way we have PS3 with better graphics + online vs the Wii with twice the userbase + about 10/15 bucks cheaper. Will be very interesting to see the split.

I'd expect it to sell better on PS3 (by up to a 2:1 ratio) due to Koei having built up the Musou base there.  On the other hand, about a third of Basara's audience is female and the most similar Musou series (Sengoku) is Wii exclusive, so that version may surprise us after all.

Should be a fun match up.  Too bad there's no 360 version to compare though.