By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So I saw the 3D TV at best buy

Orca_Azure said:
Does it have the same feeling as if you were at the movies watching a 2d converted movie (like clash of the titans)

is Clas of the Titans not filmed in 3-D? I mean it's a new movie like Avatar.

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:
I saw the same display and it turned me from skeptic to believer. In theaters i find it hard to focus on certain things, but the smaller screen made EVERYTHING clear to me. I thought Monsters Vs Aliens looked great.

I had absolutely no intention on supporting 3D in my living room until my girlfriend and I went to check it out. She thought it was better than theaters but not worth the upgrade yet, i thought it was better than theaters and worth saving for.

The scene we watched was the bridge scene with the robot vs huge tick thing or whatever. It really added a great bonus, imo. The price isnt too much more than LCD's or Plasmas now....its just the glasses.....i think it could work.

What do u mean? A 42 inch LCD costs like 700 Dollars while the new 3D TVs cost like 1500 Dollars.

Slimebeast said:
Orca_Azure said:
Does it have the same feeling as if you were at the movies watching a 2d converted movie (like clash of the titans)

is Clas of the Titans not filmed in 3-D? I mean it's a new movie like Avatar.

Clash of the Titans was filmed in 2d and converted to 3d- most critics said it didn't look all that great. Avatar was originally filmed in 3D and i saw a big difference between it and Titans.

BW_JP said:
Real 3d Is signficantly better than the Steriostropic 3d you're seeing on those TVs now. Just make sure you understand that.

Games on the PS3 will actually Stream two seperate instances of the game in order to produce the 3d images. they will be _very_ impressive.

the new super stardust is going to blow your mind.

Thats not true, LCD shutter glasses allow a better perceive resolution than polarise glasses. It seems to me like people watched a 2D converted to 3D media. I mean 3D on my 32" cathodic TV with old equipment I had 10 years ago still produce a great 3D effect, when use with Imax movies. Its actually the only reason I have kept the tube TV, if not I use a projector for everything else.

steverhcp02 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

I honestly think 3d will not work. I was watching a samsung LED 3d tv in the home theater section. I hardly noticed any 3d at all when i put on the glasses. The screen was also a 50" i think. In order for 3d to work i think the screens have to be much larger and have a much darker environment because i think the light also affects how you see 3d. Anyone else try this out?

I agree 100%. I saw the 3D TV Samsung at BB and the 3DTV Sony at Sony store  and they both look gimmicky, barely any 3D coming out, I expected something like what you get when yoou go to Universal Studios. 3D is looking gimmicky right now, I hope the 3DS comes with real 3D and not what we're seeing on these supposed high end TVs.

Prepare to be humongously disappointed then. I cant fathom the 3ds using better 3d tech without glasses to accelerate or shutter the image and with the processing power to enhance the entire length of a game.

Im completely stunned at what people are saying. Maybe the kiosks werent tuned properly? Because when we went we went as skeptics and came out of there excited. It was crystal clear, i mean crystal, easy to focus and actually added another dimension to the viewing.

Our rig was the Sammy package at Best Buy, and from what ive read the Panasonic is even better.

In all honesty i think its a bigger improvement to the experience than BD was from DVD.

Your right with your impression, like I stated earlier with LCD shutter glasses the image will be less blurry than with polarise glasses used in normal cinemas. Actually in cinemas theres a small blur, but 3DTV using LCD shutter glasses produce no blur at all and will look exactly as it suppose to look but in 3D. So its only normal you were satisfied more by that image than in the cinemas.

Around the Network

I too checked out the 3D TVs as BestBuy and Futureshop and the results were less then satisfactory. The BR 3D movie does not have a high enough refresh rate and this is very noticable. At best the refresh rate of a BR 3D or not is only 24Htz which is not enough. My sone and I were watching it in a dimmed environment for less than 5 minutes both of us were getting sore eyes due to eye strain.

So right now for an average consumer they will have to get a 3D TV at significantly more than a regular HD TV cost, 3D glasses at 250.00 per pop (note: a few TV packages come with 2 pairs but most don't come with any), and 3D BR movies costing more than normal BR movies all for a sub-par experience.

I think I'll have to wait a few more years for better technology to improve such as glass-less 3D and a higher refresh rate.

Holesome said:
I too checked out the 3D TVs as BestBuy and Futureshop and the results were less then satisfactory. The BR 3D movie does not have a high enough refresh rate and this is very noticable. At best the refresh rate of a BR 3D or not is only 24Htz which is not enough. My sone and I were watching it in a dimmed environment for less than 5 minutes both of us were getting sore eyes due to eye strain.

So right now for an average consumer they will have to get a 3D TV at significantly more than a regular HD TV cost, 3D glasses at 250.00 per pop (note: a few TV packages come with 2 pairs but most don't come with any), and 3D BR movies costing more than normal BR movies all for a sub-par experience.

I think I'll have to wait a few more years for better technology to improve such as glass-less 3D and a higher refresh rate.

Sorry to say but nothing you said here is correct.

Bluray movies run at 24 frames per second wether you watch them in 2D or 3D. The screen you are watching it on is running at 120hz. Screen refresh rate does NOT equal video frame rate.

The current 3D tvs show everything at 120 hz (60 hz per eye) in order to give it a 3D effect but the video frame rate can be 1 frame per second and still be 3D running at 120 hz. Low video frame rate does not give you headaches...

I don't see 3D becoming popular at all outside of theatres. Mainly because you have to replace your current TV with a 3D one (so it will take a while for 3D TV's to enter people's homes) and also you have to wear silly 3D glasses which is annoying (especially for people who wear normal glasses like me)

disolitude said:
Holesome said:

Sorry to say but nothing you said here is correct.

Bluray movies run at 24 frames per second wether you watch them in 2D or 3D. The screen you are watching it on is running at 120hz. Screen refresh rate does NOT equal video frame rate.

The current 3D tvs show everything at 120 hz (60 hz per eye) in order to give it a 3D effect but the video frame rate can be 1 frame per second and still be 3D running at 120 hz. Low video frame rate does not give you headaches...

You are correct Dissolitude, I misspoke stating Htz but ment frames per second.  In any case the frames per second is unacceptable.  Been a long day.  I would like to state that only that mistake was "incorrect" and the rest of my statement is opinion so it can't exactly be wrong.