By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official March 2010 NPD Thread (Data for 5 weeks ending Apr 3 2010)

I still don't get the whole PS3 shortages thing. It ain't like the system is doing Wii like numbers. Wth is up with that?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Another funny note:

FFXIII PS3 - 828.8k
BC2 360 - 825.5k

FFXIII 360 - 493.9
BC2 PS3 - 451.2

Definitely drives home the point of what type of gamer owns each console in North America.

lol how telling. 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

psrock said:
Hyruken said:
Ok then time for the nasty stuff

VGC NPD Difference
Wii - 641k 557k 84k Overtracked (15% over)
360 - 462k 338k 124k Overtracked (36% over)
Ps3 - 438k 313k 125k Overtracked (39% over)
Ds - 627k 700k 73k Undertracked (10% under)
Psp - 158k 119k 39k Overtracked (32% over)
Ps2 - 82k 118k 36k Undertracked (30% under)

Once again Ps3 is the highest overtracked product by 39%.

It would appear NPD believe 360 is selling average of 84k a week and PS3 78k a week.
Vgc has them at 115k a week for 360 and 109k for PS3.

Which means both 360 and PS3 are not selling anywhere near the high numbers currently VGC has them acording to NPD. I find that most interesting as we are lead to believe on here the demand is high, especially for the PS3.

Accusing VGchartz is one thing, being wrong is even worst.

You are using NA numbers vs US numbers my friend. But, keep going....

Okay so let me get this straight. Your accusing me of being wrong when i used Sources numbers from the op?! How does that make me wrong?

As pointed out to you in this thread by at least three different people those are the correct numbers.

So maybe you should think a bit before you go for the "let's slag someone off" button. Because right now you look a bit like one of those net people who flame people for being wrong when they themselves are wrong, and we love those people right?

Kasz216 said:
Soriku said:
thelifatree said:
Soriku said:
thelifatree said:
Carl2291 said:
thelifatree said:
Sony Published FF7. I doubt Square-Enix Wants Sony Publishing. Because they get less money.

I'm not entering your argument though.

FF7 ended up becoming the best selling Final Fantasy ever.

Infact, i'm pretty sure it's the best selling RPG on home consoles full stop.

But seeing how money hungry SE seem to be this gen... I can see your point.

Like I mean I'm sure, if Sony Publishing it, meant selling as much as as FF7 did. Square-Enix would let sony publish it as they'd get more money.

Although, there are many reason 7 could have sold well

-First in 3d

-Tetsuya Nomura :P (aren't his Edit: Character Designed FF the best selling FF's)

-Yuffie. :P had to put that there <----

-Something more complicated that I can't think of because I am not all knowing

$100 mil dollar ad campaign.

uh, what?

FF VII got a $100 mil dollar ad campaign.

Well it was the Spearpoint of a 100 million dollar add campaign, wasn't EXACTLY the same.  Still, has to be one of the biggest add campaigns for a game out there when you count the spending just on it.

And by providing it, They got to publish FF7, FF Tactics, Bushido Blade... and a 4th game I can't remember.  Really all and all probably not a bad deal.

That's pretty much my point.

Versus XIII could be a huge system seller if it stays exclusive. If there was any chance for Sony to publish it/advertise it... I think they would take it right away.

Arius Dion said:
I still don't get the whole PS3 shortages thing. It ain't like the system is doing Wii like numbers. Wth is up with that?

Well, Sony is still losing money on each PS3 is being sold. Sony can make a given amount of PS3's for a given cost. If they increase production, it increase costs which increases losses for sony.

Edit below, is the reasoning there would be shortages... But, it is always possible sony is lying about shortages. But below is something about economics.

here's something I copied from somewhere which is basically correct.

Why didn't Sony increase production of PS3 before FF13 and GOW3?"

That would be a good point if it made any sense whatsoever.

This will likely go over your head, but there's this thing. It's called 'the law of supply'. And what it means is that at a given price point, Sony can make a given number of PS3s at a given speed. It's not a matter of pushing some button that magically produces PS3s out of thin air and instantly transports them to store shelves near you. Increasing production means increasing costs, and considering that Sony already loses money on every PS3 sold, increased costs would mean that they would have to raise the price. Or eat an even bigger loss.

"Did they honestly didn't see shortage happening?"

It's not a matter of seeing shortages happening, it's a matter of fundamental economic principles. The PS3 costs $300. That pricepoint limits how many consoles Sony, or any other company for that matter, can produce, how fast, and how efficiently they can ship them. Companies always produce the maximum number of units possible at the available price point. Any more than that is a physical impossibility.

"If they didn't they they are plain and simple are stupid and they should fire those responsible."

Yes, the smart move here would clearly be to balloon production costs to absurd levels, and then, even though Sony is already losing money, not pass *any* of those increased costs to the consumer.

"Its basic common sense."

No, basic common sense says 'PS3s are not being manufactured by magical elves at the North Pole, so making more of them would involve raising production costs, which raises the price'.

"If you have a big heavy hitter make sure you have enough consoles to meet demand"

And they could very easily make sure they have enough consoles to meet demand -- by raising the price. Higher price means they can supply more of them while consumers demand less of them. Presto, no more shortages.

Around the Network
thelifatree said:
Arius Dion said:

Well, Sony is still losing money on each PS3 is being sold. Sony can make a given amount of PS3's for a given cost. If they increase production, it increase costs which increases losses for sony.

Edit below, is the reasoning there would be shortages... But, it is always possible sony is lying about shortages. But below is something about economics.

This will likely go over your head, but there's this thing. It's called 'the law of supply'. And what it means is that at a given price point, Sony can make a given number of PS3s at a given speed. It's not a matter of pushing some button that magically produces PS3s out of thin air and instantly transports them to store shelves near you. Increasing production means increasing costs, and considering that Sony already loses money on every PS3 sold, increased costs would mean that they would have to raise the price. Or eat an even bigger loss.

It's not a matter of seeing shortages happening, it's a matter of fundamental economic principles. The PS3 costs $300. That pricepoint limits how many consoles Sony, or any other company for that matter, can produce, how fast, and how efficiently they can ship them. Companies always produce the maximum number of units possible at the available price point. Any more than that is a physical impossibility.

"If they didn't they they are plain and simple are stupid and they should fire those responsible."

Yes, the smart move here would clearly be to balloon production costs to absurd levels, and then, even though Sony is already losing money, not pass *any* of those increased costs to the consumer.

No, basic common sense says 'PS3s are not being manufactured by magical elves at the North Pole, so making more of them would involve raising production costs, which raises the price'.

"If you have a big heavy hitter make sure you have enough consoles to meet demand"

And they could very easily make sure they have enough consoles to meet demand -- by raising the price. Higher price means they can supply more of them while consumers demand less of them. Presto, no more shortages.

So, basically Sony is creating the shortage by purposefully limiting supply in order to save themselves money?

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
thelifatree said:
Arius Dion said:

So, basically Sony is creating the shortage by purposefully limiting supply in order to save themselves money?

They are not creating the shortage purposefully more of they made a  mistake. My guess is Sony estimated the demand for PS3, so the manufacturing processes were created for their estimation. Because if they manufacture too many it's inefficent in labor, etc. But the demand was more than they thought it was. So they are kind of in a screwed position.

But, what I'm saying is just theory from my classes in college and boredom to analyze. It could be, the Sony CEO was taking a crap, and decided "hey! lets make a shortage!" :P

And I don't want to sound like I know everything, but I could be wrong. That's just what I got out of it.

Arius Dion said:

That what I was saying on the second page.  I don't get how the PS3 is having any shortages.

That one comment about it having shortages until it outsells the 360 has an element of truth to it, I seriously suspect.

Kenology said:
Arius Dion said:

That what I was saying on the second page.  I don't get how the PS3 is having any shortages.

That one comment about it having shortages until it outsells the 360 has an element of truth to it, I seriously suspect.

LoL. I'd suspect that as well. Also I saw your comment on that page and decided to bring it up again as it was overlooked.

@Arius Dion and Kenology... I agree, that's what certain ps3 folk will claim now until it surpasses 360 in NA sales if it ever does.

However last month if I remember both wii and ps3 were sold out at gamestop.

But I think there is atleast a little shortage but, the PS3 is not sold out everywhere. Is how much is it actually affecting sales? Because it could be Sony guessed supply and demand perfectly... and its basically selling what it's producing..

no one knows really except sony