By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official March 2010 NPD Thread (Data for 5 weeks ending Apr 3 2010)

psrock said:
SaviorX said:
psrock said:
SaviorX said:
360 beat PS3? ROFL

You are trying way too hard.

LOL You're funny.

I just find it hilarious. I mean, I'm aware of the shortages, but damn, Sony knew these games were coming and should have had some significant stock amounts to prepare for it. The fact that the 360 still won somehow just makes those software heavy hitters look irrelevant.

If you want to see me actually try, I'd get a couple warnings. You want some syrup to go with my ROFLs?

Let it go dude, there won't be any meltdown this month which you badly wanted, oh check those FFXIII numbers.

Enjoy the Wii selling over 500k with first party leading the way as always.

I could not care less about Wii sales for March. The little 3rd party jab you threw in there was impressive I'll admit rock, you've got moxy.

I honestly did not care about FF13 sales either; I have an Xbox, my bro's gettin a Ps3, neither of us want it. I will admit, if some debacle did occur with FF13 sales, I would've broken out the popcorn.

I'm actually waiting for the smaller title numbers to leak out.

Haha, the people with black and blue buttcheeks will eventually show up.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
psrock said:
Hyruken said:
Ok then time for the nasty stuff

VGC NPD Difference
Wii - 641k 557k 84k Overtracked (15% over)
360 - 462k 338k 124k Overtracked (36% over)
Ps3 - 438k 313k 125k Overtracked (39% over)
Ds - 627k 700k 73k Undertracked (10% under)
Psp - 158k 119k 39k Overtracked (32% over)
Ps2 - 82k 118k 36k Undertracked (30% under)

Once again Ps3 is the highest overtracked product by 39%.

It would appear NPD believe 360 is selling average of 84k a week and PS3 78k a week.
Vgc has them at 115k a week for 360 and 109k for PS3.

Which means both 360 and PS3 are not selling anywhere near the high numbers currently VGC has them acording to NPD. I find that most interesting as we are lead to believe on here the demand is high, especially for the PS3.

Accusing VGchartz is one thing, being wrong is even worst.

You are using NA numbers vs US numbers my friend. But, keep going....

Er, he's quoting the numbers the source gave, which are NA numbers not US? Even the averages he used are NA only 360 - 460 / 4 = 115 ....

With today's release of the March NPD data, Sony Computer Entertainment America boasted that PS3 "continues to be the only hardware console to see double digit growth both year over year (44%) and year to date (36%)." PS3 software, hardware, and peripheral sales accounted for 26% of the video game dollar share in March, which was the highest of any console, Sony said. The company also noted that the PlayStation brand made up 31% of the total video game dollar share in March.

The PS3 business was given a great boost in March by God of War III, which sold 1.1 million units for the month. Additionally, the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII sold nearly double the Xbox 360 version. Sony couldn't be happier with the momentum it's gained for the PS3 business, but the hardware continues to be slightly hampered by supply problems.

"The huge appetite for PS3 content and gaming experiences has never been stronger as we continue to bring out great games like God of War III which was the #1 software title in March with more than 1.1 million units sold in less than 3 weeks. We also remain the only console to see double digit growth of 44% when compared to last March and are up 36% at this point in the calendar year. It's no surprise, consumer demand remains incredibly high and PS3 supply will continue to be tight across our retail channels in the next few months," said Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA. "We're experiencing healthy momentum from an already blockbuster lineup of games such as MAG, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, MLB 10 The Show, and God of War III in just the past 3 months -- which some would call a great year, but for us it represents just the first quarter of many anticipated games like ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, and others we have yet to announce this year.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Not surprised by PS3 overtracking, the shortages make it very hard to track on small samples...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Hyruken said:

Ok then time for the nasty stuff

VGC                       NPD              Difference
Wii - 577k                     557k             20k Overtracked (3% over)
360 - 416k                    338k             78k Overtracked (19% over)
Ps3 - 394k                    313k             81k Overtracked (21% over)
Psp - 142k                    119k               23k Overtracked (16% over)
Ps2 - 74k                      118k               44k Undertracked (60% under)

The PS2 is infact severely undertracked by a significant margin. Wii is spot on with a 3% variance whilst the Xbox 360 and PS3 are just slightly outside of the acceptable margins which I call as around 15%. The PSP closer.

Which means both 360 and PS3 are not selling anywhere near the high numbers currently VGC has them acording to NPD. I find that most interesting as we are lead to believe on here the demand is high, especially for the PS3.

Ok I have made adjustments using the rough VGC = .90 for NPD comparison formula. Im editing the % now.

Tease.

Around the Network

From the GAF thread...

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is now the second-best-selling game of all time, after Wii Play."

Wow

Carl2291 said:
From the GAF thread...

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is now the second-best-selling game of all time, after Wii Play."

Wow

Not WoW that's much further down the list :P

Wonktonodi said:
Carl2291 said:
From the GAF thread...

Wow

Not WoW that's much further down the list :P

I'm guessing they mean in terms of America, with PC sales included right?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
psrock said:
SaviorX said:
psrock said:
SaviorX said:
360 beat PS3? ROFL

You are trying way too hard.

LOL You're funny.

I just find it hilarious. I mean, I'm aware of the shortages, but damn, Sony knew these games were coming and should have had some significant stock amounts to prepare for it. The fact that the 360 still won somehow just makes those software heavy hitters look irrelevant.

If you want to see me actually try, I'd get a couple warnings. You want some syrup to go with my ROFLs?

Let it go dude, there won't be any meltdown this month which you badly wanted, oh check those FFXIII numbers.

Enjoy the Wii selling over 500k with first party leading the way as always.

I could not care less about Wii sales for March. The little 3rd party jab you threw in there was impressive I'll admit rock, you've got moxy.

I honestly did not care about FF13 sales either; I have an Xbox, my bro's gettin a Ps3, neither of us want it. I will admit, if some debacle did occur with FF13 sales, I would've broken out the popcorn.

I'm actually waiting for the smaller title numbers to leak out.

Haha, the people with black and blue buttcheeks will eventually show up.

you cared enough to mention it before the numbers came out.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I'm waiting for Frazier's commentary, to know if the industry overall is up YoY or not. Considering the easy comparison and the huge releases for the month, if it's not, damn the games industry is completely fucked.

Chances are it will be up though.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.