By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Buy a Sony 3DTV in june and get free 3D games

disolitude said:

Are those really the best games they can offer? Wipeout HD is prolly going to be a cool 3D experience but the others are...

For a real 3D tech showcase you need a FPS... Left 4 Dead played with 3D vision opened my eyes to the tech...which I thought was kind of gimmicky at first.

I'd love to see Resistance 1 redone in 3D...visuals on that game may allow for 3D optimazation.

The ones we know of at least.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ithis said:
MikeB said:
I understand that the potential for 3DTVs relies on early adopters. It will be cool, but I am going to wait for new 3DTVs which don't require special glasses.

I don't know how that would work, unless you have special contact lenses. A TV that shows 3D only if viewed from "this line in the middle of it" is not going to work.

they already exist.

they are just very expensive.

And they look shit. Compared to stereoscropic 3D the 3D effects of lenticular 3D are MUCH more subtle. It's not just that there expensive, they have a lot of other issues, and most the companies dabbling in they're being developed for commercial use only, with no intentions of being developed for home use in the forseeable future. 

Rainbird said:
klystron said:
Hey guys, Sony failed to deliver 1080p. What makes you think they're going to deliver 3D?

What do you mean by "failed to deliver 1080p"? Sure, not many games run in 1080p, but doesn't really matter, and not that many games are going to be in 3D, but it will be awesome with the ones that none the less. No one is expecting the PS3 to be a huge 3D gaming machine.

Most games aren't. Sony said "the next generation starts when we say so" and "only 1080p is true HD" etc. God of War 3 was promised 1080p since like 2005. I'm bitter because I bought the hype and got a 1080p tv a month before ps3 came out expecting greatness. Boy was I surprised.

klystron said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:
Hey guys, Sony failed to deliver 1080p. What makes you think they're going to deliver 3D?

What do you mean by "failed to deliver 1080p"? Sure, not many games run in 1080p, but doesn't really matter, and not that many games are going to be in 3D, but it will be awesome with the ones that none the less. No one is expecting the PS3 to be a huge 3D gaming machine.

Most games aren't. Sony said "the next generation starts when we say so" and "only 1080p is true HD" etc. God of War 3 was promised 1080p since like 2005. I'm bitter because I bought the hype and got a 1080p tv a month before ps3 came out expecting greatness. Boy was I surprised.

The difference here is that 720p and 1080p is not all that different, whereas 3D stereoscopic viewing vs. not, is very different, and Sony doesn't need new hardware for this to happen.

So you buy an overpriced TV so save, what, $20 on games?

AWESOME!

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
klystron said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:

The difference here is that 720p and 1080p is not all that different, whereas 3D stereoscopic viewing vs. not, is very different, and Sony doesn't need new hardware for this to happen.

I think he is saying -

2005 Sony saying - "playstation 3 will be 1080p, buy 1080p TVs". And it turns out 720p was fine for 98% of the games.

2010 Sony saying - "PS3 does 3D gaming, buy 3d TVs". And it may turn out its 5-10 games every year...most of which are not games that the majority wants to play very much. Like the ones listed above...

Also Sony will surely need new hardware to run games like God of war 3 in 3D...at 720p...

Honestly I think this console 3D will be a disaster but I am very glad that PS3 3D bluray support is coming.

kitler53 said:
Icyedge said:
kowenicki said:
ithis said:
MikeB said:
I understand that the potential for 3DTVs relies on early adopters. It will be cool, but I am going to wait for new 3DTVs which don't require special glasses.

I don't know how that would work, unless you have special contact lenses. A TV that shows 3D only if viewed from "this line in the middle of it" is not going to work.

they already exist.

they are just very expensive.

Kowenicki is right, Phillips already offer solution to marketers who wanna use 3D displays to market stuff in store. Those displays that offer true 3D as seen with shutter glasses cost more than 10 K a piece. Not to be mixed with parallax barrier tech (samsung, sharp) that are cheap but far from being impressive.

http://www.business-sites.philips.com/3dsolutions/home/index.page (phillips 3D home page)

so what kind of time line are we looking at?  i mean, i would prefer a non-glasses 3D TV but if i have to wait 10 years,...fuck it.  I want 3D now!

I have heard many times by professional in the industry, that it will take at least 10 years. Not only because of the TV price but because you need new type of media to work with it. To have an HD picture on those glassless 3D display you need a resolution of 3840*2160 = 8.29 million pixels. Advertisers who use Phillips display need to specifically create media to work on it. Can you imagine a game machine that will push those type of resolution lol. Here its taken from Phillips website (I want to repeat that phillips are the only one able to do real glassless 3D (see the tech below, its not easy), rest is nothing compare to LCD shutter glasses 3D):

• The 56-inch QFHD 3D Display is based on an LCD panel resolution of Quad full HD (3840*2160 = 8.29 million pixels). This results in a stunning perceived 3D resolution of HD quality.

• Based on a new rendering technique, the 56-inch QFHD 3D Display creates 46 views (my addition to help understand: out of those 46 views you have 23 created for each eye, depending on your angle from the TV each eye will catch one of those 23 views) and has a large 3D comfort zone. The optimal viewing distance (ranging from 2 to 5 meter) can be adjusted on customer request.

• The 56-inch QFHD 3D Display has a 3D viewing angle of 160 degrees.

The 56-inch QFHD 3D Display is commercially available on customer request in large scale projects. (you can buy one at the moment if you want but you will not have proper media to work with it)

http://www.business-sites.philips.com/3dsolutions/3ddisplayproducts/56inch3ddisplay/index.page

Hope this help to understand glassless 3D!

It's just a very insufficient offer.  They need to give PS3s with the TVs.  Pricing can be worked out so they still make a profit on the package, meanwhile they are moving more of the TVs and more PS3s (which are also blu-ray players).  The promotion last holiday went well; it should be permanent...perhaps not with such heavy price discounting, but some degree of synergistic savings when a customer buys a PS3 and a Bravia at the same time.

disolitude said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:

I think he is saying -

2005 Sony saying - "playstation 3 will be 1080p, buy 1080p TVs". And it turns out 720p was fine for 98% of the games.

2010 Sony saying - "PS3 does 3D gaming, buy 3d TVs". And it may turn out its 5-10 games every year...most of which are not games that the majority wants to play very much. Like the ones listed above...

Also Sony will surely need new hardware to run games like God of war 3 in 3D...at 720p...

Honestly I think this console 3D will be a disaster but I am very glad that PS3 3D bluray support is coming.

I think you may want to suspend your judgment, if they are able to do motor storm pacific rift works in 3D, then they can do a lot of games work. I was really surprise by the announcement, wipeout/stardust/pain no surprise but motor storm may prove that it can works on heavier titles also. In connaisance of cause thinking it will be a disaster is a bit fast.

Icyedge said:
disolitude said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:

I think he is saying -

I think you may want to suspend your judgment, if they are able to do motor storm pacific rift works in 3D, then they can do a lot of games work. I was really surprise by the announcement, wipeout/stardust/pain no surprise but motor storm may prove that it can works on heavier titles also. In connaisance of cause thinking it will be a disaster is a bit fast.

Call me cautiosly optimistic... Cautiously being the key word.

I have 2 3D TV's at the moment, both of which don't support HDMI 1.4.

They work with Nvidia 3D vision as well as other shutter 3D glasses found on the net, they work with any computer Bluray players + powerDVD10 software for 3D blurays, and they will work with PS3 games.

I hope PS3 comes through and delivers a great 3D gaming experience. But since I know quite a bit about the tech and how it works, it just seems too good to be true...I sense some 2D to 3D conversion method for some titles which is not what we want.

I hope I'm wrong though.